Hey guys

I am upgrading my first amp (line 6 spider 4 30w) to a small all tube amp. I have narrowed it down to a few options but can't decide which one to get. The amps are the Blackstar Studio HT-20 combo, Marshall Haze 15 mini stack, or the Vox night train nt15h.

The amp will most likely be used for rehearsal, practice, with recording and small gigs. It will be used for everything from blues to metal, so it needs to be versatile in sound.

If you go for the Haze, get the 40W combo or the head with a decent cab, the Haze cabs are pretty bad. The 40W of the combo would also help you with the clean headroom, as 15W don't have much, so at band volumes clean cleans could be a bit problematic, depending on how loud you guys play.
The Vox Night Train, well, I really really dislike the Vox-Voicing, but try it out if you can, YMMV.
Again, clean headroom might be an issue.
For the Blackstar, I didn't like how that one sounded either, it has a pretty dark, compressed, flat and somewhat distant sounding tone to me, for metal it might work, for anything "softer" I wouldn't recommend it, cleans weren't amazing either.
Out of these I'd say the Marshall Haze would be the best choice, depending on where you live (in the USA Marshalls are usually pretty overpriced, but since you listed British amps I guess you live in the UK).
Quote by JesusCrisp
If you go for the Haze, get the 40W combo or the head with a decent cab, the Haze cabs are pretty bad. The 40W of the combo would also help you with the clean headroom, as 15W don't have much, so at band volumes clean cleans could be a bit problematic, depending on how loud you guys play.

Hey thanks I looked at the 40 watt combo and is a little over my budget but I could probably stretch to it. I think I will try it out if I get the chance, but looks like a solid amp.

Thanks again
Last edited by dominodom at Aug 6, 2011,
I recently made a similar switch. I got rid of my Line 6 Spider 4 75 for a small tube amp. Its about the tone you prefer and desire, not anyone else. Amp shopping is just part of the magical quest to the world of guitars, you are destined to find the amp for you, and it ultimately relies on yourself and your opinion. Anyways, I like the ones you've narrowed it down to, I did the same too, except I included, and incidentally ended up choosing, the orange tiny terror. When it comes down to it though, the options you have narrowed it down to are actually quite competitive tube amps in the same range, so its really going to depend on your personal preference. I recommend looking up which artists use these brands and similar models, you might find that a lot of the artists that inspire you trust that brand or model for their own music. As for versatility, I realized pedals could easily satisfy that for me, but of course everyone wants a very versatile amp. The best thing you could possibly do is just play them all side by side. If you're really interested in making a purchase, any guitar store employee would take the time to show you them all.
Quote by Picklelerner
The best thing you could possibly do is just play them all side by side.

Hey thanks. I agree that it will probably come down to trying out the different amps on the day, but I just want to get the rough idea of the best amps in this range. As for the tiny terror, I would consider it but my local guitar store doesn't stock Orange amps at all so it would be difficult to try one out.

Thanks again
Quote by dominodom
Hey thanks I looked at the 40 watt combo and is a little over my budget but I could probably stretch to it. I think I will try it out if I get the chance, but looks like a solid amp.

Thanks again

Well, try out all of these as well as any other amp you can in your price range.
I've heard good things about Laney amps for example. I personally don't like them too much, but your taste in tone might be different, as the other user said.
For example he might love his Tiny Terror, I personally thought it sounds like a fuzzy mess or while I really liked the drive-channels of the Fender Twin Reverb, other people think it's a really horrible gain tone.

I found the Haze to be a pretty solid amp with a good variety of nice tones on tap, the built in FX are decent and practical to have, well, at least you wouldn't have to buy a pedal if you need an effect for just 1 or 2 songs.
Hayden Mofo, much better than any of the amps you suggested. Can get them really cheap used because they're not very well known. Out of the ones you suggested, the Blackstar is the best, the Haze is overpriced and well, sounds shit. I like the Night Train but it won't sound right for metal.
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
The haze is terribly built. Blackstar is so versitile too.

I vote for the HT-20. But I would look at getting at least an HT-40 or maybe even an HT-60 because you said rehersal and small gigs. HT-40 seems like its more in your budget. 40W tube on 112 is perfect for you. The HT-20 is a practice amp..

Clean headroom.
traynor ycv50b off thomann, when/if it comes back into stock?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?