0 0%
Zoom G9.2tt
1 3%
Line 6 Pod HD500
20 69%
Other (Please state in post)
4 14%
Voters: 29.
This has been done to death in one way or another but looking specifically for the best interface for direct to PC recording (using a quality soundcard).

Up to around the budget of the Digitech RP1000

After submission, please state your:

Poll Choice.
Connectivity (USB, 1/4" etc..).
Software used to record.
Brief description of results.
Pod HD

what poll?

1/4-inch input
XLR input
Balanced 1/4-inch outputs
1/4-inch stereo headphone output
S/PDIF digital output
USB 2.0

Any DAW you want

+ it sounds good?
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
I was still working on the poll. It is up now.
Thanks for the reply and please, feel free to submit your answer.
You don't need a sound card to record USB. The RP1000 is a good unit. Especially if you have some pedals that you'd like to use with your multifx. You need to consider more requirements than recording because they all record fine with USB or/and using a quality sound card.

The HD500 is not in a budget up to an RP1000 unless you are comparing a new RP to a used HD.
Last edited by fly135 at Aug 6, 2011,
Quote by fly135
You need to consider more requirements than recording because they all record fine with USB or/and using a quality sound card.

Thanks Fly. My main concern is that 90% of the time I play through my PC using the Record Out function of a Peavey Vypyr 30 but am convinced I could be getting better quality elsewhere. I am interested in replacing the Vypyr with a multi effects pedal and will decide based on a number of factors including recording quality which one to go for..
Last edited by Bewmcawr at Aug 6, 2011,
Can't speak for the HD500, but my old Pod XT Live did a serviceable job direct in to a computer. Nothing is going to sound like a cranked speaker cab with a good mic on it, but if you can't, Pod's are probably the way to go. You can always eq a bit in the mix.

I also owned an RP1000 which is a great setup, too, but the Pod stuff has a bit more versatility in my opinion. I'd go with the Line 6 you mentioned.
I could get way more quality effects for free just using VST amps, VSTi's, and VST effects in Reaper.

Just get a quality interface, like M-Audio Fast Track Pro, or better, and get Reaper(free-$60) and download all the thousands of free VST's on the net, and you'll have the largest multi effects ever known.
Quote by Bewmcawr
Thanks Fly. My main concern is that 90% of the time I play through my PC using the Record Out function of a Peavey Vypyr 30 but am convinced I could be getting better quality elsewhere. I am interested in replacing the Vypyr with a multi effects pedal and will decide based on a number of factors including recording quality which one to go for..
I have a Vypyr 15 and don't consider the tone on the rec out that great. At one time I thought that I could use the 15 by running the rec out into a PA, but thought the tone was a bit thin and bright.

Between the HD500 and the RP1000 I would probably pick the HD500. It has more "outside the norm" effects, a longer looper (48 sec vs 20), and the fuzzes are better. I have an RP1000 and use it with my pedalboard, which happens to have an M5 (all the FX in the HD in one pedal). The main advantage of the RP is the stomp loop and lower price.
Quote by ethan_hanus
I could get way more quality effects for free just using VST amps, VSTi's, and VST effects in Reaper.
Just get a quality interface, like M-Audio Fast Track Pro, or better, and get Reaper(free-$60) and download all the thousands of free VST's on the net, and you'll have the largest multi effects ever known.

This is very interesting. I have heard about VST's but never really delved. I've had a listen to a few of the examples in your "VST Amp Tone Demostrations" thread and they are impressive.

I have an 'Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro' with inputs which should be up to it. I do get a clean signal when I plug the guitar in to the I/O interface. Can you point me to a basic guide on how to VST's working?

EDIT: I've found the official Reaper user guide.
http://www.reaper.fm/userguide.php

Quote by fly135
I have a Vypyr 15 and don't consider the tone on the rec out that great. At one time I thought that I could use the 15 by running the rec out into a PA, but thought the tone was a bit thin and bright.

Yeah, you're right. It's the same with the 30 (not that I'd expect it to be different).

Quote by Seanthesheep
pod HD desktop and Audacity software to record

Thanks. I use Audacity at the moment. It's pretty good for free sofware. I used to use Adobe Audition but compared to Audacity it is such a resource hog.
Last edited by Bewmcawr at Aug 6, 2011,
Out of those, the rp1000. The hd500 costs $100 more than the rp1000 and the rp has great USB recording. It also has a great patch editor called x edit which makes it easy to edit your patches right on the computer.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
TC Electronic Nova System. Hands down. I have one and I love it. It's great for recording DI or for using with an amp live.
American Circus
Like the White Stripes, RHCP, or Cage the Elephant? Check out mah band!
I use the USB to CPU for recording, 1/4 line out to personal monitor, phones out to IEM, XLR out to the studio board. Works for me
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
I've never had any line6 stuff until about 3 months ago. I now have an HD500 and a UX8 (discontinued). For recording, I only use the UX8 - VSTs are what I'd use everytime.
Quote by Bewmcawr
Thanks all. Went with the Line 6. So far, very happy.

The hd500?
Quote by kutless999
The hd500?

Yeah, I must admit, I didn't see Your post about the Digitech RP1000 but I can't complain about the POD HD500. This thing is so much fun!

Thanks for the advice.
Quote by Bewmcawr
Yeah, I must admit, I didn't see Your post about the Digitech RP1000 but I can't complain about the POD HD500. This thing is so much fun!

Thanks for the advice.

You're welcome and I'm glad you like it.
If you ever want to change more than one effect parameter in a single footswitch the HD is a good choice. HNPD!
POD HD, if the primary function will be recording and such I'd go with the desktop version though not the 500.