I was reading through my guitar world magazine today and I came across some Paul Gilbert licks (3 note per string) ex: 8-10-12

In the magazineit the fingering should be 1-2-4 but my index finger and middle finger do not have any dexerity and it feels way more comfortable to play it 1-3-4

Now should I be learning to play that lick with the fingering 1-2-4? or is playing it my way no big deal?

I am limiting myself in anyways playing it 1-3-4?

Thanks in advance for all the help!
Being a musician is all about breaking barriers.This isnt a big barrier but still, there is no "right or wrong" way to do it.Some people find it simpler to play in your fashion, some in the magazine fashion.Always play your way...Unless it is completely wrong and/or uncomfortable.
Quote by MrBillion
Being a musician is all about breaking barriers.This isnt a big barrier but still, there is no "right or wrong" way to do it.Some people find it simpler to play in your fashion, some in the magazine fashion.Always play your way...Unless it is completely wrong and/or uncomfortable.
Agreed. Unless it's something that might actually harm your wrists or something or pull you back from not playing the way you want to then there shouldn't be a problem.
It depends a lot on the context but generally I would play it with 1-2-4. I know brilliant guitarists who use 1-3-4 more often though. Every fingering has its own advantages.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
I suppose it depends on what is preceeding the lick and what is after it.
However, I always play those patterns 1-2-4.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User