Hi all guitarists,

I'm a total beginner to the guitar, and I'd like to ask a few questions regarding learning and practicing strategy.

My main aim is to play Extreme Metal (electric guitar, of course, and the reason may sound really dumb, but lead guitarists look really cool :P, but I'm seriously willing to spend time with the guitar, not just 'to look cool'). Some bands whose music I want to be able to play are Mayhem, Darkthrone, Cradle of Filth, In Flames, ....

I have an acoustic guitar and am saving up for an electric one. Due to my low budget it is unlikely that I'm able to take class. So I have a few questions about self-teaching:
- Which skills need to be mastered on the acoustic guitar before switching to the electric guitar? (I'm a total beginner so please explain slowly and carefully :P)
- Can any expert give me an overall strategy of studying and practicing? (like which area to study first, practicing schedule ...)

Thank you very much for you help,

Cheers
Learn fast stuff slow, and build up. Also practice standing up.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

Quote by vietdang

- Can any expert give me an overall strategy of studying and practicing? (like which area to study first, practicing schedule ...)

Cheers

i think you might like John Petrucci's Wild Stringdom book alot. It contains good excersizes and also tips on your time-management.
speed mechanics for the lead guitarist. that is all that you need. btw if your playing to just be cool dont spend to much on guitar equipment you just will give up the guitar in about a year or so.
Internet trolls are like sap in trees. sticky and annoying, but good on pancakes.
Thank you guy, another question: how much should I practice on the acoustic before trying the electric guitar?
whatever flots your boat dude. i started with an electric and now everything i write is writen on acoustic.
Internet trolls are like sap in trees. sticky and annoying, but good on pancakes.
Quote by vietdang
Thank you guy, another question: how much should I practice on the acoustic before trying the electric guitar?

no need at all, they're the same instrument... in fact, i'd start with electric because it's easier on the fingertips and hand muscles.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
And admittedly, an acoustic evening with Mayhem doesn't sound too cool does it?
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

Yeah sure, I don't think it is a good idea to play Darkthrone's music on an acoustic guitar. Some of my friends, however, suggest that I should practice with an acoustic guitar for a few months to get used to the basic chords, ... etc