Basically i decided i wanna expand my metal loving horizons into more metal and i've seen that a lot of people seem to speak highly of BTBAM and there's a lot of talk in general about them around this site.

So i've never listened to a single one of their songs, and i was wondering what you guys recommends i listen to first?

From past experiences every highest viewed video of a band is never their best and it is generally a turnoff, so i'll go off everyone elses opinions and not the highest viewed video.
My personal favourites are white walls and swim to the moon
Quote by Iain.Peters
Guthrie Govan. 'nuff said.
Avoid like aids.
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

All Bodies!!!!! it might be their best song.

Selkies!!!!!

Mirrors and Obfuscation, and Swim to the Moon.

The Parallax: Hypersleep Dialogues.

all of Colors. listen to it 3 times in a row. devote three hours of your day to just careful listening to the epic of Colors.

it will change you.
"Hey kid. You wanna cigarette?"

"No thanks! I/m already hooked on Fonicks!"

Quote by Panasonic3
all of Colors. listen to it 3 times in a row. devote three hours of your day to just careful listening to the epic of Colors.

it will change you.

It changed me, I started hating myself for listening through that cancerous abomination.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
the song that they dont wank around and then suddenly go into a boring breakdown making nerdy ginger kids jizz their pants and call your music shite because you said BTBAM are boring.
Quote by NotFromANUS
"Don't brutal your sister, Timmy!"

last.fm
Quote by Helloween4Ever
the song that they dont wank around and then suddenly go into a boring breakdown making nerdy ginger kids jizz their pants and call your music shite because you said BTBAM are boring.

Says the nerdy blonde kid holding a bass like a penis.

Selkies is awesome though.
The worst is that hoedown riff that comes out of no where. ADD music at it's worst.
Quote by Steve08

Quote by Riffmast
The worst is that hoedown riff that comes out of no where. ADD music at it's worst.

Isn't it a little silly to call it that? Couldn't one make the statement that alot of Obscure Black Metal are for small minded people due to how little is going on in the music?

Now I am not saying that it is, but to say BTBAM are ADD music it'd only make sense to say that about Black Metal.
Quote by Morphogenesis26
Isn't it a little silly to call it that? Couldn't one make the statement that alot of Obscure Black Metal are for small minded people due to how little is going on in the music?

Now I am not saying that it is, but to say BTBAM are ADD music it'd only make sense to say that about Black Metal.

there's more going on than the outwards aesthetics of "obscure" black metal - you can't compare the two
No, because you have to be able to understand abstraction, and the ideas that get painted by the bands music(in lets say Burzum),you can create something very vast, complex, and intelligent using very basic building blocks, you can also make something that doesn't take much to get with allot of different peices. Take Necrophagist for example, beyond the barrage of notes there is nothing, tech for it's own sake, anyone can understand that they can play complex patterns,even someone who knows nothing about music,and that is the end of it.Now take something like Angelcorpse which is fairly simple mechanically, but uses obscure(near atonal at times) and yet direct and forcefull sounding phrasing and execution to push forward "Might Is Right" philosophy. Meaning>mechanics, bands like BTBAM sacrifice having anything past aesthetic for the sake of novelty, and showcasing as many different ideas in one song as possible.It's music for people who can't derive complex ideas and abstraction, and need to be wowed with something new every 30 seconds because they don't have the attention span to understand something more vast, not saying all fans are like that, but that is the function of the music.
Quote by Steve08

Quote by technicolour
there's more going on than the outwards aesthetics of "obscure" black metal - you can't compare the two

I'm only speaking on a aesthetic level, where there it tends to be rather simple. I'm just pointing out how it's easy for someone to make that claim as he did with BTBAM. I agree that you can't compare the two though of course, it'd be silly to do that. o.o

EDIT: I agree with all that you said on that, Riffmast, especially of Necrophagist, despite my liking to them.
Last edited by Morphogenesis26 at Aug 6, 2011,
The difference is I've listened to a ton of BTBAM in my life and know what I'm talking about.
Quote by Steve08

Quote by Riffmast
The difference is I've listened to a ton of BTBAM in my life and know what I'm talking about.

*is BTBAM noob ;-;*

My dumb comment is even worse since I'm wearing a Charlie Brown Epic Fail shirt. Brown, thee hath bested me.
Quote by Riffmast
No, because you have to be able to understand abstraction, and the ideas that get painted by the bands music(in lets say Burzum),you can create something very vast, complex, and intelligent using very basic building blocks, you can also make something that doesn't take much to get with allot of different peices.... ...Meaning>mechanics, bands like BTBAM sacrifice having anything past aesthetic for the sake of novelty, and showcasing as many different ideas in one song as possible.It's music for people who can't derive complex ideas and abstraction, and need to be wowed with something new every 30 seconds because they don't have the attention span to understand something more vast, not saying all fans are like that, but that is the function of the music.

I don't know that BTBAM sacrifices meaning for the sake of novelty. Looking at their music, there is certainly abstraction in the musical and lyrical content. There are certainly a lot of ideas, but listening to their music, those ideas aren't just masturbatory or arbitrary. Their songs tend to have direction and manage to cover a great deal of ground aesthetically while retaining a strong musical identity. That they have a lot going on does not necessarily mean that they have forsaken substance for stylistic reasons.

I don't know that you can really say, for example, that a song like Ants of the Sky or White Walls or Disease, Injury, Madness isn't vast. Most listeners would say quite the opposite, if only on the basis of song length.

You've made some really broad points, mostly opinions, regarding their songwriting. I'm interested if you could actually back that up. If you can, come visit the BTBAM thread in the hardcore forum.
Quote by Morphogenesis26
Says the nerdy blonde kid holding a bass like a penis.
Selkies is awesome though.

no u its from personally experience though, some nerd at my school says all the bands I like are shit cause I said BTBAM are boring.
Quote by NotFromANUS
"Don't brutal your sister, Timmy!"

last.fm
newer btbam is pretty much straight modern prog

Colors really amazed me, there's some great textures and musical storytelling there, but everything they've done after hasnt held my interest so much. I mean, they're constantly trying to one- up themselves in technicality and weird ideas, and its just not my thing anymore.

some of their older, more conventional structured tunes like aspirations are awesome, i think.
Is this when we all give our opinions?

Everything after Colors is trash, but the s/t and Alaska in particular I still have the ability to enjoy.