I was wondering what the recommended string gauge size for Drop B and Drop C is. I know it varies from person to person, but I am just looking for suggestions. I am looking to re-string my ESP LTD. It has a 25.5" scale and right now it is strung with 10-46 I believe and is tuned in E-Standard. I have Ernie Ball Power Slinky custom gauge 11-48 strings, but idk how well they would work for drop c at least. Also if I change the string gauge. Will this mean I have to adjust the inotation and have a new setup? Help is much appreciated.
Last edited by ishredwithnubs at Aug 6, 2011,
if you're going to be going in between Drop B and C, a good gauge to get would be 12-56. and you may have to check for intonation and action, but that's simply done. you shouldn't have a problem with the truss rod.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
On my six for drop C, I use a custom set:

.010, .013, .017, .028, .038, .058

The low strings are tight and the high strings are loose, so you may want to bump them up a gauge if you don't like light, slinky strings.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Actually I am not even used to high string tension. I am used to being able to easily bend my strings on a higher gauge. I just re-strung my guitar with the Ernie Ball Power Slinky 11-48 strings and tuned down to Drop C# I didn't even have to make any adjustments to the intonation. It sounds really good in Drop C# with them strings, but I definitely am going to re-string them so my heaviest string is a 56 or 58. I have never played on strings that thick, but I will probably get used to it.
Quote by Kerry_King_1990
buy a barintone

Quiet you.
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
I use 12-56 in drop C and B....sometimes lower. I use a wound G though...because I just don't like the sound of a plain G when it gets thicker than an 18, plus it's difficult to bend the string if it isn't straight on the end of it.
When I bought a new set of strings I told the employee I wanted something real thick, and the highest gauge he said they had for electric guitar was 11-49, but he said something about acoustic strings..would that even work? Really? Acoustic strings on an electric?
^ Go to a different store or buy online. There are packs that go up into the 60's, and there are also 7-string packs which you can buy and utilize for 6-string by just omitting the smallest string.
I use DR Alexi's 56-10 for Drop C and B.
Yes intonation will need to be adjusted along with the action.
I think they have the best overall tension in the strings for me...i describe it as a set of 42-9.
Now this works on my guitars which have floyd rose bridges on 25.5'' scale so i have no idea about non floating bridges.
1 tip i'll give is be weary of the gauge of the g string...whether it is wound or a plain. I've found that a thick plain g string is harder to bend, where as a wound g string for me is more suited to lower tunings such as A# Standard or Drop A.
Hope this helps.
Too Many Religious People And Not Enough Lions
I like to use 13-65 for both those tunings.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by Kerry_King_1990
buy a barintone

+1

Those low tunings really don't sound "right" or tight without the longer scale of a baritone.

Get all crazy and buy that 7 string nothing better than a New Guitar Day
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Quote by Willowthewitch
+1

Those low tunings really don't sound "right" or tight without the longer scale of a baritone.

Drop B-flat on a 25.5" six string: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bwbCoT7ZIc#t=29

What doesn't sound "right" or "tight" about it? As long as you have thick enough strings and set up your guitar properly, it can sound great.
Quote by Willowthewitch
+1

Just...no.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think