I was reading about Monster cables and they say they give a low end that some bass cables cut out or something. Can cables actually effect that? Is a higher quality cable worth it for the sound?
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Cables make a HUGE difference. It doesn't sound like a big deal but it truly can save tone in many ways.
If it's creative, true to your musical goal, and it sounds good, put it in the song.

1. Guitar, delay, verb, amp, and creativity.
2. Well-tuned acoustic piano and creativity.
3. A bottle of water.
Durabillity is what you pay for. I asked my teacher about this once. He said that cables seldomly affect your sound. Though there are different opinions about it. Some people say coiled cables have a higher latency but this seems highly unlikely.
Quote by God
I'm Omnipotent, which is to say that my dick eats both meat and plants

Ronnie and Steele, Rockstars today aint half as real.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio & Peter Steele
Last edited by JY-Rasputin at Aug 6, 2011,
I tried a 5€ cable vs a 30€ one. The only difference was more buzzing with the cheap one. No tone loss.
The only thing that matters is the cable's impedance, which is mostly determined by the length. A ten-foot Radio Shack cable will sound better than a twenty-foot Mogami. At the same length, it's possible that the most sensitive audiophiles might notice a difference, but it's unlikely. Frankly, the placebo effect is much stronger--the only time somebody will be able to identify a good cable from a bad one by tone is if they've been told which one is good.

I do think Monster cables are worth the money, because every other brand of cable I've used has broken at the jack. My Monster cables have never broken.

EDIT: coily cables cut a little bit of high end because A: they're much longer than they look and B: any coiled wire has weird impedance issues going on.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
Last edited by AeolianSeventh at Aug 6, 2011,
There's a huge discussion about cables making any difference at all, so I suggest you try some out and choose the ones you like best.
It's a digital signal, it's not as if a crappy cable will send the signal worse than the $50 cable, there's no difference. However, the companies want to convince you there is a difference just so you spend more money on the same thing. The only thing you should base your purchase is on durability.
[Insert something clever here]
Quote by 13Kelly13
It's a digital signal, it's not as if a crappy cable will send the signal worse than the $50 cable, there's no difference. However, the companies want to convince you there is a difference just so you spend more money on the same thing. The only thing you should base your purchase is on durability.

Ummm... what? The signal coming out of your bass and out of your amp are analogue. Unless you're using a MIDI output or so.

Plus digital signals are affected by cabling- reducing jitter, mainly.
Ah, sorry, I'm stupid and assumed they worked just like tv and monitor cables, my bad.

I still don't think more expensive cables make tonal difference though.
[Insert something clever here]
I'll try to sum it up here, because you're getting a lot of mixed opinions.

Even if a $300 monster cable gave you 100% perfect best signal in the world, I'm assuming you aren't using a top of the range bass, into a top of the range amp, through perfect effects into a top of the range P.A.

It's not going to make a noticeable difference how much you spend on a cable.
The only thing I EVER look for is built quality.
Alright thanks guys. I still might get a couple Monster cables just for durability sake.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
I had a guitar player in my band once who told me that It made a difference which direction the signal traveled through the cord,he would mark the ends of his cords and always plug the same end into his amp and the other into his guitar.Dude has issues.
Luna Andromeda dragon bass
Schecter Omen Extreme
Fender strat
Fender Labrea electic/acoustic
Peavey tour 450
Peavey tour 410/115
Galien-kruger Backline 600
Black Heart BH15h
Gibson Les Paul gold top (Knock off)