I was wondering, how many fragments do you guys produce in relationship to the number of complete pieces you produce?

I've produced three fragments this summer, and no complete piece from them. I'm not discouraged, as I'm in the process of changing how I write, so I was expecing many fragments to be produced. But I think that seems about average for me. I can crank out short pieces, but if I'm trying to write anything of substantial length, I end up producing about three fragments of themes before I happen upon ones that work for what I want.

What about you guys?
i dislike repetition in songs, so usually a song will have lots of different sections, even in short ones. However, the amount of fractions i write that go into songs:fractions that arent is at a rough guess 1:10. i try to write specifically for songs.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
i usually start a song with a fragment or a couple of basic parts then i'll keep adding until it sounds like a finished song or like what i hear in my head. i try to write pieces in their entirety as a single riff might be cool, but in context of the whole song it can be a lot cooler
hell every fragment i write nearly turns into something, not all good, but i feel like catharsis hasn't been done until i finish it, even if it's not the best piece, as long as i feel i've done my best with it i'll feel ok! although yeah long pieces usually more like your way, but i don't really write too much long or large scale stuff, have to start doing that this year!
Oh, man... I'm pretty ruthless when I write. As soon as it starts sucking, I kill it off. So, probably one idea out of every thirty actually turns into anything. That's why I only write maybe one good song a year on average.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
Oh, man... I'm pretty ruthless when I write. As soon as it starts sucking, I kill it off. So, probably one idea out of every thirty actually turns into anything. That's why I only write maybe one good song a year on average.

CT

Keep everything! You never know when you'll go back and go "y'know, I can do something with this now!"

I tend to write about 5 or 6 incomplete songs for every complete song. It sucks though, cause I don't even write the incomplete songs very often
Well I counted my powertab files. There are 176 of them, I've made 2 songs I'd call complete (actually I still want to revise one of them). Some of these files have multiple fragments in them and I've deleted some of them so there's actually more than that.

2:176

Perfectionism at it's best, or should I say worst?
Last edited by 37 Narwhals at Aug 7, 2011,
Quote by 37 Narwhals
Well I counted my powertab files. There are 176 of them, I've made 2 songs I'd call complete (actually I still want to revise one of them). Some of these files have multiple fragments in them and I've deleted some of them so there's actually more than that.

2:176

Perfectionism at it's best, or should I say worst?

I wouldn't say Power Tab files count. I have about 280 Guitar Pro files none of which are complete song so my ratio would be 0:280.

I've done complete songs but I don't like any of them. I therefore don't count them as serious songs.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
I don't think I've ever started a serious piece and never put double barlines on it before. I can't say I'm happy with all of those pieces, but I see value in writing out to wherever the piece is going.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I don't think I've ever started a serious piece and never put double barlines on it before. I can't say I'm happy with all of those pieces, but I see value in writing out to wherever the piece is going.

+1.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Every time I practice I make sure I put at least one random note string together. If its better than average I'll play it a few dozen times till I have it memorized. Then if I feel like it I'll pull one of these and try and make something from it.

Right now I have one simple song- can barely be called one, but to me its finished- and four that I need to complete, with about four dozen tidbits that sounded good enough to be written down.
What do you guys listen to when playing video games?
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

Sorry, didn't realize I was that loud.

I'll be leaving your closet now.
Hmm. Its more than 3-4 random ideas before I get something that hooks and can continue until it gets finished. Lately I've only been finishing up ideas and haven't spawned many independant ideas, although I'm going to need to soon.

I think the actual ratio I counted in Guitar Pro was like 34 to 9 basically, although 6 or so of those were stubs at one point that I decided to continue.

I've only sat down and written 2-3 full songs at one point, and that was for Amorphous, JazzDeath, and ChRomantic which I think I've taken off UG. Surprisingly, the ones I've quickly completed all involve rampant use of simple modulation and chromatics.
If I'm writing anything, there's a reason for it, whether it's an assignment or commission. So I can't not finish it...

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I write a lot of little riffs and stuff all the time, have been doing so since I started playing a couple years ago, I've only gotten one full song done, another one partially complete, and the rest is a cumulative jumble of riffs and progressions