Hey guys, not new to UG but very new to recording. Bear with me if I sound like a moron, I've tried to do the diligent research but this is a specific question that I can't seem to grasp.

I have a Scarlett 8i6 Focusrite audio interface and I want to connect it to my speakers. The speakers have a single 1/8th inch input, and i have attached the 1/8" to 1/4" adapter.

The interface has four line outputs in the back. The routing is done through their MixControl application, a screenshot of which can be seen here

So the problem is that I'm struggling to get stereo playback. I should be able to send both left and right outputs through one cable, since that's how it worked when the monitors are connected directly to the pc. If for "Monitor Output 1" I choose "DAW 1" or "Mix 1 (L)" i get one side, if I choose "DAW 2" or "Mix 1 (R)" I get the other. I can also select something like "Mix 3 (Mono)" but then I get no output. Perhaps there's a way to create a mono mix from the two other ones, but I don't know how and I don't think that's what I want anyway, since I'd just get the same mono signal out of both monitors.

What I can't figure out is how to get the stereo mix of both sides out of output 1 such that one monitor gets L and one gets R.

Any experience with this sort of thing? Your help is greatly appreciated!
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
Lemme get this straight, you're going through one output and trying to get stereo?

Uhh, hate to break it to ya but your interface outputs aren't stereo out, they're mono out. You're either going to have to get a splitter to go 2 1/4 to 1/8 or just buy some real ****ing monitors and stop using your shitty PC speakers
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
or just buy some real ****ing monitors and stop using your shitty PC speakers

I'll sig that if I have the room. <3
Gear:
Fender FSR Standard Stratocaster SSS (MIM Gilmour Black Strat) -
Agile AL-2000 CSB -
Fender Super Champ XD -
Homemade Talkbox -
THE BORG COLLECTIVE
k i'm going to parse through the douche since you're clearly proud of it anyway and get to your actually helpful information. In an effort to defend my "shitty PC speakers", I took a look at their inputs and realized they are pretty solid m-audio av 40s...like you said each audio interface output must be a mono...so I got another cable and connected this one to the TRS input and it works. thanks!

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
No offence, as you seem like a decent person, but after literally searching your interface on google images, I can't believe you could actually be that stupid

Very first picture told me all I need to know - 4 line outputs (two stereo pairs), and the '1/8" jack' you speak of is actually a stereo SPDIF output. What I'm wondering is why you didn't just plug into the headphone port... that or buy a splitter to hook your monitors up to line outputs 1 and 2.

I presume that if you are getting sound from the SPDIF output on one side, that you are using a mono 1/4" to 1/8" adapter, or that the problem lies in the fact you are trying to connect to SPDIF.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Aug 7, 2011,
Quote by DisarmGoliath
No offence, as you seem like a decent person, but after literally searching your interface on google images, I can't believe you could actually be that stupid

Very first picture told me all I need to know - 4 line outputs (two stereo pairs), and the '1/8" jack' you speak of is actually a stereo SPDIF output. What I'm wondering is why you didn't just plug into the headphone port... that or buy a splitter to hook your monitors up to line outputs 1 and 2.

I presume that if you are getting sound from the SPDIF output on one side, that you are using a mono 1/4" to 1/8" adapter, or that the problem lies in the fact you are trying to connect to SPDIF.

This, your speakers are self powered, all they need is a signal, so headphone out into speakers, problem solved.
I wasn't connecting to the SPDIF output...I did not know that a line output is a mono output. I thought that in music recording terms, what they call a line output is basically just referring to the impedance, but that it still could have meant an output with two signals, just like the computer's 1/8" output.

I do feel like I might be a little too old for this board now though, I never thought someone should be classified as "that stupid" because of one piece of missing information in a topic they're very new to. I'm sure you've had confusion on a topic before that the person answering you thought very simple. Even if you have never been wrong, and I was a complete idiot, I wonder what you get out of insulting people. But whatever guys, do your thing, thanks for the help.

Quote by sirpsycho85
I wasn't connecting to the SPDIF output...I did not know that a line output is a mono output. I thought that in music recording terms, what they call a line output is basically just referring to the impedance, but that it still could have meant an output with two signals, just like the computer's 1/8" output.

I do feel like I might be a little too old for this board now though, I never thought someone should be classified as "that stupid" because of one piece of missing information in a topic they're very new to. I'm sure you've had confusion on a topic before that the person answering you thought very simple. Even if you have never been wrong, and I was a complete idiot, I wonder what you get out of insulting people. But whatever guys, do your thing, thanks for the help.

Well, for one thing calm down - I said you were being (well, had been - past tense) stupid; not that you actually are (or were, for a prolonged period of time) stupid. Everyone does stupid things - it's part of being human. Obviously on that occasion common sense ditched you, but I didn't intend to mock you too much about it... it's just a bit of forum banter

Anyway, if you don't feel welcome here then that's fair enough - but 'people will be people' anywhere, and I'm sure you've laughed at someone for 'stupidly' pushing the pull-side of a door, or walking into a clear glass door before etc.

Glad you solved the interface problem anyway - don't be put off asking for help just because many of us like to be arseholes when we've had a bad day!
Hey, look. Sigs are back.