How much of the sound is actually the guitar and how much is the amp? I'm trying to justify a new guitar but I'm worried that all the sound really comes from the amp? I currently have a Schecter Tempest Standar with a Fender Mustang III amp. I'd like a Gibson LP, probably either a Studio or maybe a Standard.
the sound comes mostly from the amp, but also from the pickups and the combination of different woods and hardware etc. Some guitars are also easier to play than others. So one guitar may sound better than another through the same amp because you can play it better and more easily, as well as the different woods, pickups, and hardware.
Your rig sounds like this equation:

X+Y=Tone

Where X is your guitar and Y is the amp you play it through. The tone will sound like X being played through Y. Y has a lot to do with it because Y is what is amplifying the sound. IF you don't like say, your distortion, then the problem is likely the amp.

If you don't like the feel of the guitar, the problem is the guitar.

If you don't like the range of tones you can get, and have more than one pickup and have tone controls, your problem is likely the amplifier.

If you like the basic tone but the way the guitar signal is hitting the amp doesn't flow right for you, then the problem may be the pickups.

If the guitar sounds great acoustically (not plugged in), but terrible amplified (through a good amp), then the prob is probably the pickups.

Are you getting the new guitar to have the new guitar? Or is it replacing an old one? Or is your old one simply not cutting it for what you're playing and you want something to diversify your available tones?
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
I have always felt the amp to be more important in the tone equation. When picking out an electric guitar I look for comfort and whether or not the guitar "breathes" when played acoustically. If it does I don't care about the pickups or electronics as you can rip out and replace anything you don't like. If your tone sucks get a new amp, if your guitar is uncomfortable get a new guitar.
cheap solid state amps and modeling amps tend to make everything sound the same. You may be able to tell a tiiiiiny difference between really awesome guitars and OK guitars on a crap amp, but get a good one and it'll be night and day.

I'd say 70% of your tone is your amp, and 20% is the guitar itself, and 10% is yourself.

If you have enough for a LP standard, find an amp you think sounds great and fits your style, and then look for both of those used. You can easily save 500 bucks buying an LP used.
A lot of it is the amp but you will never get the tone as a LP on a strat and vise-versa, so the guitar also plays a big part. If you get a Les Paul (you won't regret it, I love my Les Paul) don't get the standard, get the studio because you'll save money and there's very little difference in tone, the standard just has more expensive wood (flamed) and mote glamoures and therefore expensive hardware. Get the studio and use the rest of the money for a proper TUBE AMP that will show of your guitar much better. There's no point of getting a good guitar if you have an amp that won't show of it's full tone.
I personally think that most of your tone comes from how you attack the guitar and how you play. Hell, give Ywngie Malmsteen my Dean United Abom. and my Peavey Vypyr and he'll make it sound a million times better. While tone does matter when it comes to guitar and amp, buying a new guitar and amp isn't going to play better. Not saying that's what you're implying but it seems to be quite common when on the search for new gear.
pretty much what shinozoku is saying. it's a combination of both, and if you ignore either, you're in for trouble.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have two guitars: a cheap Ibanez and an LP Studio. I used to play both through a Vox modeling amp. The LP sounded better than the Ibanez, but not by much. When I bought my Fender tube amp, I found the difference in tone between the two guitars much greater. The Ibanez just doesn't cut it now and the LP sounds amazing.

Given that, I'd say a nice tube amp is going to really accentuate the limitations of a cheap guitar. Your simply need a good guitar AND a good amp.
^ yeah. if you have a cheap guitar and amp, most people here will advise getting a new amp. If you ask me, it's a bit of both- once you have that good amp, it'll show up the differences between guitars more.

Of course if the person has a good guitar and bad amp then obviously upgrade the amp. that's where the vast majority of the "what you really need is a new amp" bandwagon (if it even is a bandwagon) came from.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

Of course if the person has a good guitar and bad amp then obviously upgrade the amp. that's where the vast majority of the "what you really need is a new amp" bandwagon (if it even is a bandwagon) came from.

It's only a bandwagon because many people really do need a new amp. Not everyone recognises how much an amp affects the tone. They might own several guitars, but think the amp is "just a speaker".

I've met a bunch of people who have 3-4 good quality guitars, but play through cheap SS amps. They can afford to upgrade, but for some reason they don't.
oh i agree
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by sashki
It's only a bandwagon because many people really do need a new amp. Not everyone recognises how much an amp affects the tone. They might own several guitars, but think the amp is "just a speaker".

I've met a bunch of people who have 3-4 good quality guitars, but play through cheap SS amps. They can afford to upgrade, but for some reason they don't.

You sound like what you need is a new amp...
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Search bar.
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack