he was going to build a bc rich style guitar for his brother, but never got around to it. he agreed that he would give me the maple if i gave him another piece of maple near the same size.

should i do it? if i do, i was thinking of doing a telecaster (but cutting a belly contour and rounding the sides) and then doing a maple neck with ebony fingerboard.

should i?

edit: i already have one other guitar build started.
double edit: if i do this, i was going to put in a slanted bridge humbucker, and a normal tele in the neck. does that sound good? i was thinking this would be my perfect guitar for cascading and swell work.
Last edited by 00_hns_00 at Aug 6, 2011,
Quote by 00_hns_00
he agreed that he would give me the maple if i gave him another piece of maple near the same size.
I dont really see the point of this?

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
I dont really see the point of this?

well, its 30 year old maple, so that should have had enough time to dry out and open up like how a vintage instrument does. also, he doesn't care what kind of maple i would give him, and the ammount he has is enough for 2. maybe even enough for a neck through all maple guitar, so....

he just said enough for one body.
besides, my local lumbermill has a generic slab of maple that i can buy for around 30$. so it seems to be worth this endevour.
I'm no expert but once the wood is down to 10-15% moisture content I wonder how much more stable wood can be after 30 years than just 1 year at that moisture content, considering the wood will always move with the seasons as it takes in moisture from the air it isnt as though the 30 year old wood will never move.

Especially considering once you start cutting up and shaping the maple and gluing on fretboards (introducing water) the wood will move anyway.

I'm sure it is worth the endeavour, but in future I would be more concerned about planning the stability of the neck by ensuring good grain, laminating it with other pieces of wood and if needed introducing carbon fibre re-enforcements (for 8 strings and basses).

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Last edited by Absent Mind at Aug 7, 2011,
My Dad's got a large slab of flamed maple. He says it's the best flamed maple he's ever seen and he's been a carpenter for 35+ years. We're gunna be building a custom guitar with it soon