Okay so I kind of got it down. You play chord progressions starting with a C chord or power chord then you would play licks and riffs made out of a C scale, right?

I was looking at this one song and the verse chords were in C# and so was the lead but the intro didn't even have any C# notes in it but it still sounded good. How does that work?
Borrowed chords from the parallel minor/major? Idk, its hard to answer without knowing the context.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Favor House Atlantic by Coheed and Cambria. Sorry if this is just a stupid question in general.
Well, in this situation, they are either modulating to another key, or are using accidentals. From the look of it, they are using I-ii-iii progression in the key of A Major in the verse. A minor doesn't have a C# in it, so parallel minors are not being used. So it could be a parallel major going on.
Quote by carnagereap666
Well, in this situation, they are either modulating to another key, or are using accidentals. From the look of it, they are using I-ii-iii progression in the key of A Major in the verse. A minor doesn't have a C# in it, so parallel minors are not being used. So it could be a parallel major going on.

Dang, guess I still don't know much about this. How did you know the verse is in A major and what are parallels?
Quote by Awesomdor
Dang, guess I still don't know much about this. How did you know the verse is in A major and what are parallels?

Can't speak for him about finding the key, but parrallel keys are Major and minor scales sharing the same tonic. For example A major and A minor would be parrallel, since A is the tonic (basically the root of a scale) and one is major and one minor.
Rock on or die

Guitarist 5 years, Had purpose in life 5 years

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
Quote by carnagereap666

sorry, relative minor, parallel minor would be a C# minor scale.

But still, you are correct. As a side note: I am completely unfamiliar with the song.

Quote by liampje
Sometimes it depends what way you look at it. If you look at C and C# as C and D flat, it could easily be in Ab major (Ab Bb C Db Eb F G) or Db major (Db Eb F Gb Ab Bb C). Keys are more determined by the ear anyway, all the notes sort of pull the song towards a key. In jazz and metal type styles, accidentals are generally used to make non-diatonic (out-of-key) chord progressions. Power chords dont have a 3rd, so arent really major or minor, and wouldnt have as huge an influence over the key as a standard C major - F major - Gmajor - A minor progression, which is strongly in the key of C major.
Quote by vampirelazarus
sorry, relative minor, parallel minor would be a C# minor scale.

But still, you are correct. As a side note: I am completely unfamiliar with the song.

He said the song is in C. Relative minor of C is A minor. A minor does not have a C#, and the parallel of A minor is A major. A major has C# in it.

Relative minor=minor third down from root. Parallel would be opposite of scale (A minor-A major.)

=Awesomdor] Dang, guess I still don't know much about this. How did you know the verse is in A major and what are parallels?

I knew the verse was in A major because A major is:
A B C# D E F# G#

A minor does not have a C#, or any sharps at all.

Parallels are major or minor scales with the same root note. For example, A major and A minor are parallel.
Quote by carnagereap666
He said the song is in C. Relative minor of C is A minor. A minor does not have a C#, and the parallel of A minor is A major. A major has C# in it.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying.

I meant the relative minor of C# is where the borrowed chords are coming from.

I still haven't looked at the song, and don't really intend to, since I've never heard it before. Ergo, I don't know what the chords or notes are in the song.

Quote by liampje
Quote by carnagereap666
Oh. Well in the song, the verse has an A major progression of I-ii-iii. The C# is just part of the A major, not a separate key.

Umderstood. I was just going off the OPs suggeestion that it was in C#.

Quote by liampje