So I heard a bunch of quotes from professionals that the more chords you learn the better. So ive got this guitar chord book thats got hundreds of pages of chords. I understand how to read them, but im not sure how to apply them. Any suggestions?
Quote by carnagereap666
Well, you could use them in chord progressions that appeal to you, you could arpeggiate them, play licks over them, solo over them, analyze them, do some stuff like that.

Those are exactly the things I was wanting, but how do you learn them?
Well, let's start with arpeggiation of chords. An arpeggio is Italian for "broken chord." When you play an arpeggio (a lot of sweeping and tapping uses arpeggios) you play each note of the chord separately. You might invert the chord , or maybe play it an octave higher to give it a unique sound. Sweep Picking is what seems to most metalheads, the one technique that shows off your skill, when in reality, it's feeling and mastery of multiple techniques. So arpeggio=notes of a chord played separately.

When you solo over a chord progression , you can stick to the key and scale you are in. If the key is C Major, and is using a chord progression like: I IV V, you can use C major scale and it will sound nice. There are also relative keys . They are scales that contain the same notes as the opposite scale. You can find the relative key by counting 3 frets up or down. This jump of three frets is called a minor third. You can use the relative minor of A minor to solo over a C major progression. There are some more things you can do, but I won't dive too deep in them.

If you want to analyze a chord, you should try to find what intervals the chord uses. If you want to construct your own chord, just take some notes of the scale you are playing in and arrange them so you can play them in a chord fashion. Try to figure out the correct name of the chord and if you like it, start using it in music you write.

That's a very brief and overall uninformative guide to those things I mentioned. There are literally thousands of lessons and articles on UG about these things. Try some of those.
Don't concern yourself with memorizing chord shapes. Just learn the notes of the fretboard, and some music theory. Once you learn the intervals and stuff and how the notes work together, you will be able to use any chord any way you want.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
You're better off learning music theory than chord shapes. The former teaches you how to construct chords; learning shapes of the basic major and minor open chords and barre chords is important, but you have to know how they work so you can form your own variations.
Yeah, knowing the chord shapes by heart is important though. Major and Minor at least, every other chord will derive from those with one or two note changes, but only if you know how chords are constructed, of course.
• '10 Epiphone Les Paul
• '96 Epiphone Rebel EM-1
• '10 Jackson JS32T Rhoads
• Vox Valvetronix VT20+
• Fame GTA40
• Zoom GX7.1u
• Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
• Jim Dunlop Ultex Jazz III 2mm