Non-American native English speakers, is it hard to understand American English?

Page 1 of 2
non-american native english speakers, do you have a hard time understanding american english accents?

at work today, this irish fellow came in and i could barely understand the fucker! idk if it was just because he wasnt annunciating his words enough or because his accent was so thick, but i had to ask him to repeat himself once or twice when he said anything. after a few minutes, i was able to pick through the accent a bit but there was still a fair amount of me asking 'what?' or just nodding and laughing in agreement when it seemed prudent.

my question to non-american native english speakers is do you guys have a hard time understanding an american accent? and not like a heavy southern accent, i even have a hard time understanding those, im more asking about a 'neutral' american accent.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
He was most likely drunk. American english is by far the easiest to understand of all the native english dialects/accent's I've heard.

From what I've heard it's never slurry of incoherent like british accent can be. It's very clear and coherent.

I'm however not entitled to answer this thread as I'm not a native english speaker.

I'm a viking.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Aug 6, 2011,
they're extremely clear most of the time, so yes. i'm english and i've never had trouble understanding anybody from the standard deviating american accent.
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
I am in Australia at the moment and I find that due to my accent (and the speed at which I talk) no one can understand me.

I understand Americans easily. Probably due to TV.
Lets All Goto Mars: The I The FLAMING LIPS Club
Quote by daft
I understand Americans easily. Probably due to TV.

Agreed.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
For what it's worth, I'm American and I find Brits easier to understand than most Americans

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
I can't understand British English at all.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
TV rotted my brain so I can understand it pretty well..
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
My mum is a Scot and my Dad from the "north" and I live in Essex.

I can speak in tongues mother****er

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
For what it's worth, full on Irish can be tricky to understand. I spent a month in Northern Ireland last summer, and a few people I just couldn't get... That said, I loved the place, I'd live there in an instant!

American English is pretty easy to understand, probably (as previously mentioned) because of TV.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Well if they don't eat their words or talk too fast, it is pretty easy to understand.
Quote by Xiaoxi
I can't understand British English at all.

This, though mostly their "lingo". I don't have a problem with accents, though some people who live in the hills in the South mumble when they talk which makes it hard to understand them.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KzeYrjfN9s

I think he's perfectly clear.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Irish people speak a dialect that you wouldn't be exposed to on a regular basis, it's understandable that we'd be hard to understand. We have various colloquialisms that are unheard of elsewhere and speech patterns taken from Gaeilge. We also tend to speak very fast in comparison to other English speakers. Vowel pronunciations are also somewhat different.

Hell, I sometimes find it hard to understand people from the North or South in Ireland, some people just have very thick accents. I once had a boss from Donegal who I just couldn't understand at all, I used to kind of have to guess what he was saying to me.

Other countries are exposed to American accents on a regular basis on television etc, I'd be surprised if they found them hard to understand.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Colgate Total
The actual English are harder to understand because of their retarded accents.

"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Nah Its easy to understand. A kiwi talking over there on the other hand was quite the challenge
"Ladies and gents."

That concludes our tour of the toilets.
Quote by Masamune

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LJw6PAi5Q8

I see your hot fuzz and raise you a Snatch (although it might be a little dubbed at the end)
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
General American is by far the most natural sounding accent. I honestly can't see how someone from the UK would think their accent sounded normal.
Yeah, American accent's probably the easiest along with 'standard' British. There's like 90 different accents in the UK, and some crazy slang, but the only coherent one is the one that bond villains and the Queen use.
Quote by WaterGod
General American is by far the most natural sounding accent. I honestly can't see how someone from the UK would think their accent sounded normal.

Well some people don't think they have an accent, or don't think it's as thick as they think it is. I live in the South and some people don't think they have a Southern Accent, or don't think they sound like Jeff Foxworthy.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by WhiskeyFace
I wonder where abouts from Ireland he was from. There are a lot of different accents in this country.

i couldnt even wager a guess. he could have very well been scotish for all i know.

but he had red hair and the first thing i thought when i heard his voice was irish so im going with that. thats pretty objective right?
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Quote by Masamune

I didn't even understand the last guy

Though that movie and Shawn of the Dead are great
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Quote by Floods_Solo
The Welsh accent is just a ****ing joke.

The Welsh accent is awesome! I love chicks peaking it
"Ladies and gents."

That concludes our tour of the toilets.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Well some people don't think they have an accent, or don't think it's as thick as they think it is. I live in the South and some people don't think they have a Southern Accent, or don't think they sound like Jeff Foxworthy.

My girlfriend has a pretty general American accent but mine is a slight Boston accent. I'll say things like "ca" (car) and tomorra (tomorrow) and she'll try to correct me
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Some of the posts in this thread just show how moronic so many Americans are, sorry to the Americans who are actually posting decent responses. Like the post a few above me saying, 'how could anyone from the UK could see their accent as normal'. I can guarantee that a standard English accent is just as easy to understand as a standard American accent. Obviously someone with a thick northern accent may be hard to understand, but that's exactly the same as an American with a thick southern accent.
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
No. Once you get English, you understand it. An exception to the accents, i have no idea what people say in the south
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Quote by izbbass
My girlfriend has a pretty general American accent but mine is a slight Boston accent. I'll say things like "ca" (car) and tomorra (tomorrow) and she'll try to correct me

Some people down here say shit like "I'm gonna go warsh my hands" or the stereotypical Southern Accent when they say "Tonaight is awesome y'all" them damn northern folk be laughin at em.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by robbo546hall
Some of the posts in this thread just show how moronic so many Americans are, sorry to the Americans who are actually posting decent responses. Like the post a few above me saying, 'how could anyone from the UK could see their accent as normal'. I can guarantee that a standard English accent is just as easy to understand as a standard American accent. Obviously someone with a thick northern accent may be hard to understand, but that's exactly the same as an American with a thick southern accent.

So...by "some of the posts" you mean that one post?
Quote by Colgate Total
The actual English are harder to understand because of their retarded accents.

Nope, this one as well.
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
Changing the language, I am a native Spanish speaker (Mexican) and I cannot understand Cuban Spanish. Is this just me?
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by rockingamer2
Changing the language, I am a native Spanish speaker (Mexican) and I cannot understand Cuban Spanish. Is this just me?

I don't know about Cubans, I know a lot of Mexicans hate Puerto Rican Spanish.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG

I often see it in the reverse. Like when I went up to California my hairstylist kept asking me whether or not she had a California sounding accent. I couldn't tell the difference.

I honestly think southern accents are among the most annoying in english accents. While New Engalnd accents are among my favorite.
Last edited by WaterGod at Aug 6, 2011,
Page 1 of 2