As the title says, I'm asking for computer help.
I have a shitty laptop with shitty Vista and I want to downgrade to XP Pro (really it's an upgrade).
One catch: My CD Drive doesn't work. I've tried a lot of software crap to fix it and it still won't work (I won't try hardware shit with it).
Anyways, anyone know how to boot a new OS from a USB Flashdrive? Or boot without using a physical disk?
Thanks for the help!
*****Please save the stupid "oh this is a guitar website blah blah blah" bullc***. I want legit tech answers, not smart alleck remarks.**
Quote by thehardwayout
I have a shitty laptop with shitty Vista and I want to downgrade to XP Pro (really it's an upgrade).
One catch: My CD Drive doesn't work. I've tried a lot of software crap to fix it and it still won't work (I won't try hardware shit with it).
Anyways, anyone know how to boot a new OS from a USB Flashdrive? Or boot without using a physical disk?
Thanks for the help!
*****Please save the stupid "oh this is a guitar website blah blah blah" bullc***. I want legit tech answers, not smart alleck remarks.**

Lol at the bolded.

If you have Vista why downgrade to XP? Why not upgrade to Windows 7?
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Go to Device Manager in Control Panel, try to find the drive, and check what isn't responding, then try to find drivers for it. I had a problem once, but since finding drivers for this thing is a nightmare, I just took out the drive and put it back in.
FLYERS GONNA FLY
Philadelphia Flyers: 47-26-9
Did you get drivers for XP?
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
This is the worst place to ask for help. You'll just get a bunch of smartass remarks and trolling. Plus, people here probably don't know what they're talking about.
Quote by T.s.e
This is the worst place to ask for help. You'll just get a bunch of smartass remarks and trolling. Plus, people here probably don't know what they're talking about.

These are only the beginning of my fears of posting this question here
Member of the "Defenders of Emo,PM eckman88 to join "

Founder Of The Artcore/Hollow Body Users Club PM me to join

Quote by Chuck Norris
Leading hand sanitizers claim they can kill 99.9 percent of germs. I kill 100 percent of whatever the fuck he wants.
Quote by thehardwayout
Thanks for the help!

first off, you're going to need an .iso of your install disk or a windows xp install disk, to do that, you need to either rip it, or download one from somewhere, then get the program from here (youre probably going to have to mount the iso onto a virtual drive and point the program to the VDs path unless you can just point it to wherever the .iso is located) http://www.techtipsgeek.com/install-windows-from-usb-flash-pen-drive/559/

put the .iso on your flashdrive, reboot, hit f12 and boot from USB and you should be able to install as normal.

GO TO YOUR COMPUTER MANUFACTURERS SITE AND GET ALL OF THE DRIVERS YOU NEED FOR YOUR COMPUTER AND EITHER PUT THEM ON A DISK OR A USB IF YOU DONT ALREADY HAVE THE DRIVER CD FOR IT OR YOU WILL BE SCREWED

edit: and if you get your network driver you can get the rest of them automatically if you have an internet connection, i forgot about that sorry and for future reference we have a computer thread, post there next time we can help you.
you brought a hooker to church?
Last edited by ghostnineone at Aug 6, 2011,
System32, anyone?

E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Quote by T.s.e

this
ø

*MISC CREW*

e-mail me

Originally Posted by OneOfaKind
ø

If you have an .iso file of a windows xp disc you might be able to use MagicISO and mount it to a "drive". Only problem is that it's on your harddrive so it might crap out in the install process. Tried to help atleast :P
Quote by Trefellin
Anyone with half a brain knows that Jesus is way more metal than Satan. Lucifer was the worlds very first emo.

Quote by glowinghamster4'

i just want to let you know that made my day.

Quote by Weaponized
Solid state master race
Quote by MetalheadforJC
If you have an .iso file of a windows xp disc you might be able to use MagicISO and mount it to a "drive". Only problem is that it's on your harddrive so it might crap out in the install process. Tried to help atleast :P

yes it will, which is why you have to mount the iso and then burn it to a cd or put it on a usb first.

but in his case hes going to have to mount it to magiciso (or daemon tools, or alcohol) so he can point that program to it so he can put it on a USB, unless there is another tool that he doesnt have to do that.
Last edited by ghostnineone at Aug 6, 2011,
Your CD drive doesn't work? What do you mean? Does it not come out? Does it not read CD's? What? May just of crapped out on you, hardware wise.

If you want to downgrade to XP, and you already have Vista, then you have to format the hard drive(wipe all memory basically) and then, maybe, if you are lucky, you can install XP, but sometimes the computers can't run the older operating systems, and then you are screwed.

Just upgrade to Windows 7, way better than XP.
Your could update to 7 instead... that one works fine
also try downloading the drives from the website

Quote by static_music34
your guitar doesn't exist, apparently

good one...
:Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX1
Fender Stratacoustic
Bugera Vintage 5
Just buy an external CD drive, if it's really that much of an issue to you.
mais mon cerveaux sait mieux.

last.fm

e-married to RevaM1ssP1ss & spanishyanez.
and e-child of Kensai.
Quote by totheark
Just buy an external CD drive, if it's really that much of an issue to you.

this is also a valid option
I want to downgrade to XP because I make a lot of electronic music in my free time and I've learned a lot of new tricks and methods to make my mixes exponentially better. Problem is, these tricks and methods eat up A LOT of memory and my computer slows down to a point where I can't even make out a beat or a note over the DUT DUT CUT DUT sounds of my computer lagging up. So, I want a system that can still RUN my programs and plugins but be a hell of a lot lighter on my CPU so I can get better performance. I'm running on 2 GB of RAM on an all stock system and my CD Drive is completely crapped out and won't read disks (been dropped too many times by other family members who don't understand the meaning of "THAT'S MY F***ING COMPUTER. DON'T F*** WITH IT.")
Quote by thehardwayout
I want to downgrade to XP because I make a lot of electronic music in my free time and I've learned a lot of new tricks and methods to make my mixes exponentially better. Problem is, these tricks and methods eat up A LOT of memory and my computer slows down to a point where I can't even make out a beat or a note over the DUT DUT CUT DUT sounds of my computer lagging up. So, I want a system that can still RUN my programs and plugins but be a hell of a lot lighter on my CPU so I can get better performance. I'm running on 2 GB of RAM on an all stock system and my CD Drive is completely crapped out and won't read disks (been dropped too many times by other family members who don't understand the meaning of "THAT'S MY F***ING COMPUTER. DON'T F*** WITH IT.")

buy more ram?

windows xp has a limit of 4gbs of ram unless its 64 bit, this is true for any 32 bit system including vista and w7
Quote by thehardwayout

I don't think that's Vista's problem. If you're using the latest programs and you have an old copy of Vista, it's not gonna run on XP much better. I know this from experience.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
or he could install linux and have his os only use like 1/4th of his ram

windows 7 only uses a little bit more memory than XP does iirc, but i think the minimum recommendation is 3gb