So at the moment my only fuzz type effect is my NYC Big Muff (all my gear is in sig). In the last few days I've played heavily with it I have gotten some cool sounds out of it, but im not sure if its my amp (don't you dare tell me I need a new one) or my guitar pickups, but its just not versatile or usable enough. So I'm looking to trade the muff to get a new fuzz, preferably at or under $100 but I'm willing to go $150, new or used doesnt matter, however I would like to play on in a store, not just randomly order one online. Preferably I just want that vintage Hendrix heavy fuzz (purple haze?), and like that one video of frusciante doing the intro to cant stop, i know youve seen it... Anyway I also like wolfmother/silversun pickups/smashing pumpkins fuzz sounds but thats not a priority. I'm looking at the fuzz face however that usually gets mixed reviews and also the Zvex Mastotron. So what do you guys think, thanks for the help.
Get them to love you, while they may depending on your words and wealth, the only one who's really judging you is yourself, nobody else.

Any and all posts by this user are fictional and for entertainment purposes only
Quote by Stryker636
Boost the fuzz with an overdrive helped me a lot

This. Fuzz pedals don't really cut through very well, although they sound awesome in the right setting. If you throw an OD in front of a fuzz, it'll help it cut through the mix more and tighten up the sound. I boost my Big Muff with my Dano Pure Drive quite often.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Quote by jpnyc
If you want the Hendrix tone, this is the real deal: http://www.analogman.com/fuzzface.htm

This is a great pedal, although there are some reports of Jimi using a Big Muff while they were being developed. I've also seen this debated so I'm not sure how true those accounts are, but I thought I'd link to one to point TS toward more info on Fuzz pedals. I guarantee if you have a decent amp you can dial in Jimi-esque tones with a Big Muff. I can get Jimi tones out of my rig no problem. It just takes patience and a lot of tweaking.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Quote by Jimmy_Page_Zep
This is a great pedal, although there are some reports of Jimi using a Big Muff while they were being developed. I've also seen this debated so I'm not sure how true those accounts are, but I thought I'd link to one to point TS toward more info on Fuzz pedals. I guarantee if you have a decent amp you can dial in Jimi-esque tones with a Big Muff. I can get Jimi tones out of my rig no problem. It just takes patience and a lot of tweaking.

Clips please? I can't do a Hendrix vibe with any of my Muffs (Green Russian, 30 yr old NYC, and a Musket). My Fulltone '69 however is another story - Hendrix all day, cleans up and all-out fuzz in one pedal.
Gear
Fender Hotrod Deville 2x12
Fender MIM Strat | Epi Dot 335
Fulltone '69 mkii | Boss OD-1
'95 RAT2 | '78 IC Big Muff | DL4
^ The Fulltone '69 is a helluva pedal.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
^ You can say that again. I can survive with a Strat, a RAT, and a '69 all day. This is also my setup for my Bugera V5 which the OP has.
Gear
Quote by Stryker636
Boost the fuzz with an overdrive helped me a lot

This, the guy with a strikingly similar username speaks of truth

Quote by bubb_tubbs
^ The Fulltone '69 is a helluva pedal.

it's priced stupidly. you can get a clone with OC84s for under 150 easy. Let alone the 399 they go for used.

OC84s > NKT275s
Last edited by stykerwolf at Aug 7, 2011,
I would most definitely try out a Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh fuzz. It's an extremely versatile, heavily-modded Muff. It has three types of clipping - silicon (smashing pumpkins, white stripes, black keys etc), germanium (more fuzzface/Hendrixy sort of stuff) and diode lift (more of a slightly fuzzy very loud clean boost). I finally got mine a couple of days ago after I got back from Bali, and it's completely kickass. This thing has low end in spades. And there's also a gain stage switch so you can boost or reduce the gain as you desire.

edit: and it's 150 new, but you should be able to get a better price than that if it's used. that said, this thing has a ridiculous price to quality ratio.
Last edited by NakedInTheRain at Aug 7, 2011,
Quote by stykerwolf

it's priced stupidly. you can get a clone with OC84s for under 150 easy. Let alone the 399 they go for used.

OC84s > NKT275s

It's priced stupidly because they stopped making them like 10 years ago.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
if you want hendrix then a fuzz face or clone of one. the important thing to add to this is a wah. hendrix used the 2 together to get his sound.

if hendrix used a muff prototype it would have been in the studio.
Ya I have tried boosting the muff with my Blues driver but it's still not doing it for me and I also I fear it may die soon, I bought it used and now if I step on the box itself, even a tiny bit the sound flickers or dies, sometimes even if its not on.... And as much as that analogman looks great I'd feel like a moron for spending the same amount on a pedal as I spent on my amp. So I think that leaves the fuzz face,that '69 sounds great, and that pharaoh sounded pretty good but I doubt I'd be able to find one in a store.. So between the fuzz face and '69 what do you guys think. Other suggestions? Any concerns with the fuzz face(other than no 9v adapter spot )? And would a local guitar center or music-go-round sell the '69? I doubt it.. I also need to get myself a damn strat for that great old blues Thanks for all of your input guys

Edit: holy balls I didnt see the price tag on those '69's, I don't think I could shell out 400 for a pedal...
Get them to love you, while they may depending on your words and wealth, the only one who's really judging you is yourself, nobody else.

Any and all posts by this user are fictional and for entertainment purposes only
Last edited by theponz at Aug 7, 2011,
Quote by theponz
that pharaoh sounded pretty good but I doubt I'd be able to find one in a store..

Get it used or online. Tonefactor, ProGuitarShop and Prymaxe all have them in stock, and there are a heap of ebayers who are selling them.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
Get it used or online. Tonefactor, ProGuitarShop and Prymaxe all have them in stock, and there are a heap of ebayers who are selling them.

Ya but I'd really like to try before I buy and my parents get rather annoyed when I have to use their credit card for online purchases, especially a $150 one. But still we will see. What about the black arts pharoah
Anyone tried that?

edit: oops nvm, it's the same thing just in black lol

Last edited by theponz at Aug 7, 2011,
Do you live in Portland, Oregon? PGS has a physical storefront. Or you can always send it back if you don't like it, for a full refund (less the cost of the shipping back).
Nope I'm near Denver, CO. And yeah I suppose musiciansfriend does that as well. We shall see. I still haven't heard any yay's or nay's on the fuzz face though, an opinion would be good. Whether its the standard or hendrix version

The general consensus on the blue silicon Hendrix version is that's it's pretty decent, whereas a lot of people tend to stay away from the germanium ones. The problem with Dunlop's germanium Fuzz Faces is that they're inconsistant in matching the germanium transistors when they're building them, leading to a lot of hit and miss with those pedals (this of course is with the exception of the Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face).
Quote by theponz
Nope I'm near Denver, CO. And yeah I suppose musiciansfriend does that as well. We shall see. I still haven't heard any yay's or nay's on the fuzz face though, an opinion would be good. Whether its the standard or hendrix version

Well, how about a Fuzz Factory then? It can do splatty fuzz, velcro-y fuzz, pseudo octave fuzz, crazy oscillation fuzz, wall of sound fuzz, and a decent fuzz face-ish sound that also cleans up? They also have NOS Germanium transistors.
Gear
Ah thank you, thats pretty much the impression I've got and i considered the jb version since its specialized for humbuckers, but its a tad expensive

The Fuzz Factory really doesn't do nice, pleasant-sounding fuzz, I've found. It tends to be very bright and buzzy at the tamest settings. I only use mine for oscillation and high-gain fuzz (mainly Muse stuff, really). And if I recall correctly, the Fuzz Factory circuit is basically a Screaming Bird treble booster rammed into a Fuzz Face.
ya i thought about the fuzz factory but its expensive, hard to find, and would probably less practical than my big muff lol. I'm definitely leaning towards the pharaoh atm, but i still havent found any clips of it with good vintage sounds, anyone have some of those?

I just spent half an hour just now playing through it properly into a cranked amp. This thing is freaking amazing. Thickest muffy tone you'll ever get. After playing with the germanium diodes, I can safely say you'll get some great classic fuzz tones out of this. Spent a while playing Purple Haze - effing sweet.

There are clips all over the internet, but honestly, I'm going to have to go with what everyone else is saying, and concede that no demo I've seen yet does it proper justice.
Okay I recorded a quick clip just for you, mate. Used my little camcorder, so the sound quality isn't great, but it should give you some idea. 1st tone knob was rolled all the way to the left, and 2nd tone knob was rolled all the way to the right. Gain was all the way up, although I decreased it a bit for the diode lift part. I'm using a Strat into a Kustom Coupe 72 combo.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23087951/pharaoh%20fuzz%20quick%20demo.mp3

Here's how it breaks down:

0:15 - Silicon, high gain
1:03 - Germanium, low gain
1:56 - Germanium, high gain
2:40 - Diode lift, high gain
3:04 - Diode lift, high gain, but backed down the gain knob to 2 o'clock
3:13 - Diode lift, high gain, but cranked the gain to full again
3:32 - Germanium, high gain
Wow thank you very much, that was very helpful. I've heard people say they ordered from the guy at toneworks and could get like custom paint jobs or diodes, would that cost extra? I've seen the white ones with black decals and those are sweet.

No probs . Yeah you can order direct from the guy that makes them, just drop him an email at electricblackdoom@gmail.com. I don't know if it's any extra for a custom paint finish though. I've heard of so many guys buying a Pharaoh, and liking it so much they sold it and bought one with a custom finish. Probably the way I'm gonna go to be honest although the one I've got is a discontinued colour scheme, so I might hang onto it.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Hmm that Devi does sound good. But the pharaoh is just so damn cool. Can the Pharaoh get some Queens of the Stone Age type sounds?

Quote by NakedInTheRain
The Fuzz Factory really doesn't do nice, pleasant-sounding fuzz, I've found. It tends to be very bright and buzzy at the tamest settings. I only use mine for oscillation and high-gain fuzz (mainly Muse stuff, really). And if I recall correctly, the Fuzz Factory circuit is basically a Screaming Bird treble booster rammed into a Fuzz Face.

This, i had a try with my friends and it seemed to have a very peircing quality to it on a lot of settings, i like harsh fuzz and i could get tones i like but it took a long while for me to be pleased with the tone.

I own a mastotron though and i love that, it's a bit scooped but the bumblebee quality kind of makes it. It's got an amazing amount of bass too.
OOh, just read that Mark at toneworks has a fuzz faceish pedal in the works. dont know if I have the patience for it..