I got my new RGD2127z about a month ago, and the inivitable time has come to swap the pups...I've narrowed down my choices to SD phase 1 blackouts or DiMarzio D Activators. Price isn't a factor at all, I just want it to sound the best I can make it. I play in a deathcore band www.facebook.com/atlightsend, and we're in Drop A.

Whatcha guys think?
Blackouts help a lot in Drop A since they're sensitive and can pick up string vibration well. I like them personally.
Quote by Rogue Hermit

You're a good man. I was waiting for somebody to step up with the obligatory "I come blood" reference.

Quote by guylee
goddammit. I'm going to bed. You win good sir.

Quote by stratguy335
Haha! You got the joke! You win a cookie.
Forgot to mention, I've played blackouts tons of times, I love them. It's basically a matter of me wanting to know any last minute reasons for possibly getting the dimarzios instead, blackouts are the front runners right now.
Chris Broderick uses the D-Activators on his 7-strings, so there's that. Can't say I've played either, so I'm not sure.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Bareknuckle Painkiller, or Aftermaths, perfect for drop tunings, Painkiller has more mids, and a tighter bass response, Aftermath has a more scooped mid range, but a more aggressive low end.

BKP's are extremely nice pickups but they just don't translate to the kind of tone I'm after...If I ever play in a djent band in the future, my first move will be throwing some painkillers in, but alas, they just don't produce the sonic qualities I need for my band.
Quote by zhunt1130
BKP's are extremely nice pickups but they just don't translate to the kind of tone I'm after...If I ever play in a djent band in the future, my first move will be throwing some painkillers in, but alas, they just don't produce the sonic qualities I need for my band.

...How so? Do you want a pickup with less clarity or something? I can't think of any pickup better suited for drop tuned deathcore than the Painkiller. Extremely accurate and quick bass response, punches through mixes, very smooth sounding pickup, very punchy, what more can you ask for in deathcore?

What amp are you using?

EDIT: Nvm, 6505, you should love the Painkiller though that 6505, idk what you mean about sonic qualities, since BKP's have more sonic qualities than SD or DiMarzio combined.
Last edited by ethan_hanus at Aug 6, 2011,
I have blackouts in my c-7 and love them. i haven't had any experience with the d activator tho.

EDIT: Dude i'm from louisville, love your band man! I used to play in Nannie Doss and played a lot of shows with At Lights End before you joined. I've been considering an rgd, how do you like it compared to Isaac's schecter?
Last edited by a_hub10 at Aug 7, 2011,
Quote by a_hub10
I have blackouts in my c-7 and love them. i haven't had any experience with the d activator tho.

EDIT: Dude i'm from louisville, love your band man! I used to play in Nannie Doss and played a lot of shows with At Lights End before you joined. I've been considering an rgd, how do you like it compared to Isaac's schecter?

hahah no $#it? that's awesome, I remember them talking about playing with you guys when I first got in. The RGD blows the Schecter away in ways unimaginable by the human brain. I'm 3x the guitarist on the RGD and that's compared to Isaac's blackjack and my hellraiser.

To Ethan...Painkillers just aren't aggressive enough for me man, my low end is tight enough as it is so I'm not worried about that. I need something that's going to kick people in the face. I'm used to the way that actives play, but I have minor issues with how emg's sound. Hence why my 2 choices are blackouts and d-activators. It's not that I think BKP's are bad by any means, just not for me and the music style I currently play. I played them through my 6505 and I did like them, just didn't blow me away like some other pups do.
well you seem to be totally set on the blackouts. just get them.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
I'd take the Blackouts over the D-Activators, by far.

Have you considered EMG X pickups? I find them to have similar distortion qualities, but better cleans than the Blackouts.

It feels like the BKP bandwagon is getting a little pushy. They're great pickups, no one with an ear will deny that. But they're not the end all of pickups. It is possible to not like/want their tone. And honestly TS had a pretty rational reason for not wanting them.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I love the EMG X's, especially 18v modded buuuuttt...I'm not too fond of the idea of routing out my $1600 guitar to fit a pickup that if I ever wanted to change, I'd be up a creek. SD thankfully was smart and made a set of blackouts that fit a standard 7 string pup slot.
Ah, I didn't realize it was a 7 string.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
i'd go with the SDs, every guitar i've tried with Dimarzios has always kinda let me down in some way and thats including BFR JP6s and Vigiers. so personally i'd always take the SDs over the Dimarzios but tbh for Dethcore you're safe and sound with the Blackouts, they are great pickups.
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by zhunt1130
I love the EMG X's, especially 18v modded buuuuttt...I'm not too fond of the idea of routing out my $1600 guitar to fit a pickup that if I ever wanted to change, I'd be up a creek. SD thankfully was smart and made a set of blackouts that fit a standard 7 string pup slot.

They have seven string X's right?
Quote by GS LEAD 5
They have seven string X's right?

pretty sure Loomis uses them, if not then Tonsin Abasi definitely does on his 8 and if they make 8 string they deffo make 7
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Ahh, it seems I'm outnumbered, but I have D Activators (on my Ibanez 6string) and I couldn't ask for anything more. Sound killer. Ive Never tried blackouts..

Idk, I'm not a pickup know it all though.
Quote by Offworld92
I'd take the Blackouts over the D-Activators, by far.

Have you considered EMG X pickups? I find them to have similar distortion qualities, but better cleans than the Blackouts.

It feels like the BKP bandwagon is getting a little pushy. They're great pickups, no one with an ear will deny that. But they're not the end all of pickups. It is possible to not like/want their tone. And honestly TS had a pretty rational reason for not wanting them.

I'm not saying they are, if I could get a set of SD SH-11 Custom Custom with a Pearly Gates all my classic rock tones would be forever within my grasp, but for deathcore, idk what he means that the Painkiller doesn't have enough sonic quality, I'm just curious as to what he means.
BKP Aftermaths
Dimarzio Crunch Lab/Liquifire

Done
What is thall? THALL
Agile Interceptor Pro 727
POD HD500
Carvin DCM1000L
Behringer Rack Tuner
Carvin Rack Case
Mogami Cables
Quote by Offworld92
http://www.emgpickups.com/products/category/254/1

There aren't any 8 string X's yet, I don't think.

I'm almost positive Tosin Abasi plays 808X's in his 2228

EDIT:
Here found a video. Was just gonna link to the EMGTV ones but for some reason I can't get a single one to load. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzas74i1ws4
Last edited by TheAbsentOne at Aug 7, 2011,
They could easily be made, but not necessarily out to the public yet.

EDIT: Nevermind, they are out. For whatever reason, they're listed under Active Pickups > 8 String, and not X Series > 8 String.

That's really confusing. For shame, EMG.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Aug 7, 2011,
Quote by Offworld92
They could easily be made, but not necessarily out to the public yet.

EDIT: Nevermind, they are out. For whatever reason, they're listed under Active Pickups > 8 String, and not X Series > 8 String.

That's really confusing. For shame, EMG.

Ah, ok. Thought so.
There are 7 and 8 string EMG X's, the reason he doesn't want them is that he would have to route the guitar to fit them. Seymour Duncan has both phase I and phase II blackouts. The only difference between the two is that one is EMG size and the other is a direct drop in replacement for passive pickups, which his ibby has. Can't blame him for not wanting to route a prestige.
Just to clear up what everyone was asking about the "sonic qualities" on the BKP's...They just aren't aggressive enough for my taste, and especially for the style I play. Not saying they can't handle high gain or anything like that, I just think they're at their best when playing djent type stuff which isn't my thing at all. I'm accustomed to the articulation of actives, I play better with actives b/c I don't have to play "as hard" if you will. I feel like I float through leads with actives where I tend to "jump" with passives. What I mean by that is, I don't have to pres as hard with actives to get a note to come through.

I'm going with the SD's, should be ordering them soon, and this is my reasoning. As I said before I know I like blackouts, love them actually, I was just curious as to what people's opinion of the Dactivators were. Nobody on any forum that I've posted has said anythin to likes of "the Dactivators are better b/e of this, this and that". Everyone pretty much said go with blackouts or some other pickups. That basically told me I was right with my opinion in the first place. Not knocking other pickups but I'd already researched them a ton, listened to sound clips and I had already decided others weren't for me.

This is the other scenario. I play better/faster/cleaner with actives, idk why, I just do. When I got the Ibby, I noticed right off the bat that I play 3x better on it than my Schecter with EMGs. My sweeps were so retardedly clean, I couldn't believe it was me playing them, this was b/c the Ibby just plays better, the neck is perfect for me. So I'm doing math in my head, if I play better on the Ibby with passives than I do on my Schecter with actives, now I'm immagining what I'll be able to do on the Ibby with blackouts. and thus I get a chubby in anticipation!!! Thanks so much for the help. All I needed was that last convincing note to make me pull the trigger on the blackouts, and I got like 15 of them haha.
Awesome

Now you just need to get rid of the Schecters and get Ibanezes instead

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Awesome

Now you just need to get rid of the Schecters and get Ibanezes instead

Well I'm trying to sell my C-1 Hellraiser, just don't have use for it anymore. The 7 is my backup and it's an older one that's neck through and has 707's so it's not a bad backup by anyone's stretch of imagination. I may refinish it at some point and have some fret work done on it, everyone knows that's schecter's crucial flaw. The C8 is a custom shop, think anything bad about a Schecter, and this is the opposite. It plays like hand sex.

However, my Ibby is by far my best playing guitar. I'm hoping that the success of the RGD will lead them more down the path of making guitars more suited to metal. The RGD is literally the ONLY Ibanez I'd ever consider and that's solely b/c of the 26.5 scale. I'm just not a fan of having to custom order strings to compensate for the 25.5 that they put on everything else, not that they're the only company that makes the pointless short scaled 7's though
I agree the RGD's are great. I love Ibanez as a company, they seem much more attuned to what players want than other brands. I wish they felt better in my hands

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I agree the RGD's are great. I love Ibanez as a company, they seem much more attuned to what players want than other brands. I wish they felt better in my hands

I was the same way before this guitar. For 7's and 8's Ibanez's neck dimensions are king. I can't stand them on 6's though, my hand cramps, it's just too thin. The other thing I like about Ibanez though is that they do customs for endorsee's...once my band picks up management and gets on the rd, hopefully a label too *crosses fingers* they will be the first endorsement application we send out!