Hello I have a question about the methods used to perform legato. Lately been trying to work on my left hand speed and I've been performing trills on the high E string. Its very easy to perform hammer ons and pull offs on that string but my question is how do you do so on the lower strings like the B string, G string, and so on. For example when im performing trills on the B string I pull down on the string so I can get a clearer sound. However doing this causes my finger to slightly touch the high E string and it rings out. I mute the strings with my index finger but still I can hear a slight thud from the strings below the one that Im performing legato on. Am I doing this the correct way? Or is there something wrong with the way I've been teaching myself? I dont want to perform any bad habits in the future since I know it will be twice as hard to reteach myself. So if you would be so kind as to leave me an answer I would very grateful if you could let me know if there is something wrong with the way im doing this.
If you're muting the higher strings but you can still hear any noise coming from them then you're using movements that are way too big, slow down and make them smaller.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
You might need to shift the position of your hand slightly. Try doing it very slow and work out where the problem is arising.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Thanks for your words guys. But my technique is correct right? Im not doing anything wrong? It usually only occurs when I pull off since I strum the string down with my finger. Am I supposed to strum it down or do I just take my finger off the string wihout the strumming? When I dont strum the string down its hard to get the note out but it doesnt run into any of the other strings. When I do strum the string down i can get the note clearer but its still somewhat hard to completely mute the other strings. Which method is the correct way to perform legato?
We can only tell you what the issue is with your technique if you provide a video of the problem.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Check out Joe Satrianis lesson on Legato, He has a cool technique where he mutes with his Picking hand by dancing on the strings with some of his fingers from his right hand ;P
Quote by MusicsMyHero
Thanks for your words guys. But my technique is correct right? Im not doing anything wrong? It usually only occurs when I pull off since I strum the string down with my finger. Am I supposed to strum it down or do I just take my finger off the string wihout the strumming? When I dont strum the string down its hard to get the note out but it doesnt run into any of the other strings. When I do strum the string down i can get the note clearer but its still somewhat hard to completely mute the other strings. Which method is the correct way to perform legato?

Yes, it's correct technique to actually pull off with your fingers rather than just lift them.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.