So I got a Vyper not too long ago and its definitely a step up from my last pos amp. For the price I'd say it's a decent amp. However, I'm finding it very difficult to get a satisfying metal tone out of it, which kind of pisses me off seeing as how I've heard it's the perfect practice amp for high gain/metal tones.

I don't know a lot about amps just yet, so I was hoping there's something I'm not doing right that someone here can help me out with. I'm going to replace it with some kind of half stack when I get the money, but that probably won't be a while, so I really need this thing to get the Job done until then. Help would be more than appreciated.
I used to have one all i did Was use XXX On Distorted Channel with everything on Full.
I think the key to most awesome metal tones is not to crank the distortion right to ten leave it around 7ish and up the volume a little and then check your eq. The guitar you play will also have an effect on your tone what guitar are you playing?
I'm playing an LTD deluxe ec-1000 with EMGs

I've been using the K-stein amp mod because It sounded the heaviest to me, but it doesn't seem like its eniugh. When I try to use the tubescreamer or xr wild effects it just makes it sound scratchy without really adding to the distortion too much.
the Vypyr isn't the ultimate for metal by any stretch. i'm guessing that you are refering to a regular one and not the tube version. if you want the best metal tones then check out some of the real amps that it models.
I know this might sound dumb but have you tried cranking the volume up a fair bit. A lot of those modelling amps sound a lot better turned up as most of the time there designed to mimick the real life versions of the amp they are trying to simulate (i.e like a tube amp sounds awesome turned up.) I had the same issue with my old Spider 3 really bad rock/metal tones at low volume but turn it up half way and it comes to life and sounds heaps better.
I know its nothing close to a tube half stack, but its all I have until I can afford a better amp.

As for the volume, I've played it with another guitarist with a HS and a drummer, so I have to crank it pretty loud. I'm not entirely sure how high I've cranked it. I feel it might have been just under halfway. Next time i get the chance, ill try going to eleven.
The amp takes a little while to get familiar with, but you should have no problem at all getting metal tones out of it.

The JSX and Rec channels are my 2 favorites. But what works for you is going to depend on what kind of tone you want.

If you can describe what you want the amp to do, I can probably help you out.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Dude, that thing has more than enough gain and you can EASILY get metal tones out of it if you know what you are doing.

I personally like the Rec model with slightly boosted mids.

You could try the 6505, gain at half or a bit lower and it's pretty much the most aggressive metal tone that the Vypyr can get you. If it's not metal enough for you, you are doing it wrong.

BTW the K-Stein is pretty much the thinnest sounding of the Vypyr's models.
Sounds like you've kind of taken it to the point it should start sounding good then. Is there a particular sound you are after like a particular song/band/guitarist? Also I think on these forums there is a settings thread you might find some nice settings in there for your amp.
All you gotta do is just use the recto with tubescreamer. Then have pre gain all the way up. Thats just my opinion, or you could go to www.vypyrsettings.fr/ they have a ton of different tones.
Maybe "heavy" was the wrong word to describe why I liked the k-stein. To me it sounded the most gainy, more distorted than the others, but I can definitely hear the "thin" it the sound. I like the rec mod when I'm playing groove metal style musi but I don't think it really fits in with my "band"

We play music most closely related to As I Lay Dying, Bullet for My Vallentin, and various other metalcore-ish bands.

When its just me I play Lamb of God, Devildriver, heavy/groove metal. So i need a tone that works well for both styles.
Quote by robertsanidiot
Maybe "heavy" was the wrong word to describe why I liked the k-stein. To me it sounded the most gainy, more distorted than the others, but I can definitely hear the "thin" it the sound. I like the rec mod when I'm playing groove metal style musi but I don't think it really fits in with my "band"

We play music most closely related to As I Lay Dying, Bullet for My Vallentin, and various other metalcore-ish bands.

When its just me I play Lamb of God, Devildriver, heavy/groove metal. So i need a tone that works well for both styles.

As I said 6505.
Quote by robertsanidiot

this may not be realistic. you need to work on individual tones and go from there. a do it all tone will be full of compromises. i use a totally different pedal setup just for hendrix and robin trower type stuff. in a band i'd try to group together songs with similar tones. run through 3-4 songs and then take a break so the singer can do the audience thing and you can quick change settings (or get a sampera to do this with).
Quote by robertsanidiot
So I got a Vyper not too long ago and its definitely a step up from my last pos amp. For the price I'd say it's a decent amp. However, I'm finding it very difficult to get a satisfying metal tone out of it, which kind of pisses me off seeing as how I've heard it's the perfect practice amp for high gain/metal tones.

I don't know a lot about amps just yet, so I was hoping there's something I'm not doing right that someone here can help me out with. I'm going to replace it with some kind of half stack when I get the money, but that probably won't be a while, so I really need this thing to get the Job done until then. Help would be more than appreciated.

JSX on clean channel then tube screamer both settings around 7 (more or less to taste) lows: 7 (high or low depending on taste)
Mids: 0
Highs: 10

Tuned in C standard I get a really heavy crunch smiler to early Swedish death metal.
Quote by hconn
go to www.vypyrsettings.fr/ they have a ton of different tones.

This was all kinds of help for me. Found a nice heavy tone that worked well for metalcore and groove metal.

Only problem now is that I'm hearing a static kind of feedback when I palm mute. Anyone know what the problem is there?
Quote by robertsanidiot
a static kind of feedback when I palm mute. Anyone know what the problem is there?

Seriously, this is starting to become very annoying. I would kill for help with this problem.
Quote by robertsanidiot
Seriously, this is starting to become very annoying. I would kill for help with this problem.

Generally Static/feedback can come from quite a few things, cheap cables, nearby electronics(computer/sound system ect), even from the wall socket itself.

Your situation sounds different, you only hear the feedback when your playing (specifically) palm muted parts. Play with your EQ on the amp and see if you can dial out the static, but I would think it's either coming from the speaker cone or it's connections. The biggest flaw of the Amp is the speakers are pretty cheap(I'm thinking of replacing mine).

Plug directly into the amp (no pedals) and try changing guitars(if you have others) and compare if the problem get's better or worse, if you notice any change then chances are that it's the guitar. If you don't hear any noticeable changes I would bring it in to get looked at, the warranty offers pretty good coverage so if it's a defective speaker or bad soldering it should be a free fix.
Quote by ibugppl
JSX on clean channel then tube screamer both settings around 7 (more or less to taste) lows: 7 (high or low depending on taste)
Mids: 0
Highs: 10

Fun fact... this is wrong.

Most of the definition of a guitar is in it's Mids. I normally leave EQ quite flat, but I ALWAYS boost the mids a little for an extra oomph and add bass and top as needed.

On the whole topic of "heavy" tones, too much gain = fuzzy and wooly. You need some of that punch in there to create a heavy tone, so DON'T TURN THE GAIN ALL THE WAY UP. Gain works best when correctly dialed in, not just boosted all the way for the hell of it.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
EMG's and squeaking? Try backing off the tone at the guitar. If it's too bassy adjust the treble on the amp to compensate. The idea is to cut the treble at the source. EMG's pump out a lot of top end, I rarely have mine turned up full. Piercing jangly Reggae would be about the only time I ever turn the tone up full.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
EMG's and squeaking? Try backing off the tone at the guitar. If it's too bassy adjust the treble on the amp to compensate. The idea is to cut the treble at the source. EMG's pump out a lot of top end, I rarely have mine turned up full. Piercing jangly Reggae would be about the only time I ever turn the tone up full.

Actually anytime I try playing a vypyr (tube versions) with a guitar with EMGs I always get a lot of sqeaking I have never been able to get rid of. That amp doesnt seem to like actives very well.
Try backing the volume off as well then.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification