im not sure where this one should go, but if it isnt supposed to be here ill move it.

ok, im having a lot of issues with staying motivated in learning other peoples songs.
ill sit with my guitar writing prog rock/metal riffs and songs for HOURS.
i have probably atleast 50 tuxguitar files fuuuull of my original prog riffs, and songs.
what im trying to say is, i have the skill needed, and i have the knowledge needed.

but, as soon as i try to learn a cover song (protest the heros "moonlight" is my latest example), i learn one or two riffs of the song and give up.

i have more than enough skill on the guitar to play this stuff, i have the knowledge, i just cant keep myself to sit there and learn a full prog song.

i dont think its because protest the hero is too progressive, because ive written songs with a ridiculous amount of different riffs and changes.

what is it?
is it ADD, or is it just motivation?
i never have trouble writing my own stuff, which is just as complicated and hard to play as PTH's stuff.

it sucks because id love to record some covers of their stuff and put it on youtube
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
I have the same thing - I hardly ever learn other people's songs, aside from occasional sessions with my acoustic strumming away to whatever chords I find on this site. I rarely actually learn them though.

Pretty much any time I'm playing my electrics I'm either jamming along to tracks I've got recorded or creating new tracks to jam along to.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I think we all tget that from time to time. Particularly i find i coe of with cool riffs and stuff, but when i come to jam with someone, they either just leave my head, or sound shite haha

But if you're writing Prog riffs like you say, jus take them all, put them together and you got yourself an epic prog song!
i have put the riffs together and made prog songs, but id love to actually learn a full prog cover song.
because in my opinion, the best way to learn better technique and the best way to "sound" like one of your favorite bands is to learn their stuff.
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Same way here...
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
Quote by musicTHEORYnerd
im not sure where this one should go, but if it isnt supposed to be here ill move it.

ok, im having a lot of issues with staying motivated in learning other peoples songs.
ill sit with my guitar writing prog rock/metal riffs and songs for HOURS.
i have probably atleast 50 tuxguitar files fuuuull of my original prog riffs, and songs.
what im trying to say is, i have the skill needed, and i have the knowledge needed.

but, as soon as i try to learn a cover song (protest the heros "moonlight" is my latest example), i learn one or two riffs of the song and give up.

i have more than enough skill on the guitar to play this stuff, i have the knowledge, i just cant keep myself to sit there and learn a full prog song.

i dont think its because protest the hero is too progressive, because ive written songs with a ridiculous amount of different riffs and changes.

what is it?
is it ADD, or is it just motivation?
i never have trouble writing my own stuff, which is just as complicated and hard to play as PTH's stuff.

it sucks because id love to record some covers of their stuff and put it on youtube

Man, I am the exact opposite. I wish I could sit and write my own stuff and have it flow, but I just feel like it all sounds like stuff I've already heard, ya know? I don't mind learning other people's songs, but I'd really love to write my own songs and be able to say they are my own.
ESP Eclipse II SW - D'Addario 11-49 Eb
LTD F-400FM - Ernie Ball 12-56 C#
Ibanez Iceman 300
Peavey Transtube 112 EFX
It is a motivational issue, and it affects nearly everyone who sets out to cover songs. Learning songs is work; pure and simple. It isn't creative. It is pure work. You have to force yourself to do it, just like you have to force yourself to write a term paper. Turn off the cell phone, turn off the TV and push yourself. Learn the song in sections. Move on when you get one section down the way you want. Don't set a time limit - that is a recipe for failure. It will take as long as it takes.

You can do it. And you'll be happy with the results.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
It is a motivational issue, and it affects nearly everyone who sets out to cover songs. Learning songs is work; pure and simple. It isn't creative. It is pure work. You have to force yourself to do it, just like you have to force yourself to write a term paper. Turn off the cell phone, turn off the TV and push yourself. Learn the song in sections. Move on when you get one section down the way you want. Don't set a time limit - that is a recipe for failure. It will take as long as it takes.

You can do it. And you'll be happy with the results.

QFT

Learning two songs right now way beyond my level of skill and I feel like this is really the way to do it. It sucks to do a lot of the time, but I think the results will definitely be worth it.
Quote by musicTHEORYnerd
i have put the riffs together and made prog songs, but id love to actually learn a full prog cover song.
because in my opinion, the best way to learn better technique and the best way to "sound" like one of your favorite bands is to learn their stuff.

I totally agree!
i have the hardest time forcing myself to learn solos, because my imporv can be pretty awesome when i get really into it, but i need to force myself to sit down and challenge my self to learn new solos so i can solo faster, better, and kniow more licks

sometimes if im GASing real hard for something that i have to opprituity to get, ill force my self to learn a difficult song bfore i buy it so its kinda like a reward for my self
I went through the same thing. I eventually realized that as much as I like listening to certain genres, trying to play them bores the living shit out of me. I can listen to Animals as Leaders all day, but I have no desire to tap any notes on my guitars, much less learn to do it on a nine-string guitar. But I really love fingerpicking old country and rockabilly songs, and that's getting me into the Black Keys. If you don't like playing a genre stop wasting your time and try playing other stuff. You can get all kinds of different genre style method DVDs from Netflix that have tab PDFs on the disc.
Quote by jpnyc
I went through the same thing. I eventually realized that as much as I like listening to certain genres, trying to play them bores the living shit out of me. I can listen to Animals as Leaders all day, but I have no desire to tap any notes on my guitars, much less learn to do it on a nine-string guitar. But I really love fingerpicking old country and rockabilly songs, and that's getting me into the Black Keys. If you don't like playing a genre stop wasting your time and try playing other stuff. You can get all kinds of different genre style method DVDs from Netflix that have tab PDFs on the disc.

i do want to play prog though.
i love listening to music that makes me go "waaaah how does he do that".
my main genres i love to play/listen to are prog and jazz.

most of the music i like playing, i also love listening to, and the other way around.
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Quote by jpnyc

So true. I listen to a lot of metal and so much of it is boring power chords palm muted for 4 minutes straight. Not exactly fun to play. On the other hand I unfortunately like a lot of bands who play crazy fast and techinical that make me want to quit trying. Damn you luca turilli for being too awesome.

I've also been draining the netflix library of everything guitar related. They stuff they get in seems to be completely random though. You'll have part two of a series and not part one, etc.

I would say change things up. Go play something you'd never normally play. Country, Theme Songs, etc..
Sometimes if you get into a group and you learn tunes to play them live it becomes less of a bind learning tunes because you are doing it to help your band mates as well and you want to do a good job foe them and get it right for an audience. Also if you nail tricky covers you get feedback from the crowd when you get it right live and that is good for motivating you. You also have natural deadlines thrown up because you have to learn tunes for the next gig or rehearsal as well so it helps to stay disciplined.

Good luck