hey, looking to put some new humbuckers in my epi lp. the stock ones are starting to make me mad. i want something just a bit higher output than the standard stock ones on the guitar. i want that real vintage tone from the 70's and 80's (ZEPPELIN, GNR etc) .right now i've got 3 in mind but i'm open for suggestions and advice. i wouldn't mind something which allow for coil splitting/tapping in the future. right now i've got 3 in mind

- Alnico 2 pro
-Slash set
-59 PAF
- JB

I'm open for combinations. something a bit stronger on the bridge for that real bite and crunch and something nice and smooth for the neck
People say Blackouts are nice, although I haven't had a chance to try them.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

real vintage tone tends to mean lower output...

but vintage with a bit more output often has people recommending one of the customs, so maybe try one of those. with maybe a '59 in the neck.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Same boat as the OP.

I'd settle on a 59' or alnico II pro in the bridge and a PG in the neck.
Yamaha FG700S
LTD EC-1000 MGO
Agile 3k
Laney Cub 15w Head with 2x12 cab
Vox VT 20+
Pearly Gates for the neck for real vintage rock tones. '59 in the neck if you want something with a little bit more output. Despite its name the 59 really doesn't sound much like a classic PAF. The Seth Lover kind of does but it's a bit on the weak side.
59 in the bridge works well if you have the Pearly Gates in the neck. Or just another Pearly Gates. If you like your bridge pickups to really scream then go for the Custom or the confusingly named Custom Custom, they're kind of the same just the Custom has better bass and the Custom Custom has smoother, more classic highs.

Look at DiMarzio too. Their Air Classic and PAF 36th Anniversary could be just what you want. They're better for the bridge than any of the options from SD at least.
Quote by StrykVladzimsky

ermmm no he wants a vintage rock kind of tone that distorts well, but with clarity, the Blackouts are designed for high gain br00tal metal, and standard metal tones, they are good pickups just not what this guy needs.

I put a JB in the bridge of my Epi Les Paul last week, it sound amazing, just what you are looking for, 70's rock and 80's metal/hard rock
Last edited by Capt_Clarkson at Aug 7, 2011,
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
ermmm no he wants a vintage rock kind of tone that distorts well, but with clarity, the Blackouts are designed for high gain br00tal metal, and standard metal tones, they are good pickups just not what this guy need.

I put a JB in the bridge of my Epi Les Paul last week, it sound amazing, just what you are looking for

So is this the norm now, to spell "br00tal" with the two zeros when referring to metal? I'm just curious because it seems to be the thing to do nowadays.

I'm not offended, just wondering. Also noticed the popularity of "br00tz"
Quote by W4RP1G
So is this the norm now, to spell "br00tal" with the two zeros when referring to metal? I'm just curious because it seems to be the thing to do nowadays.

no its more of a joke aimed toward that particular genre of metal where you try too hard to be "br00tal", have "monster heavy breakdowns", "sikk death growls", lyrics about killing babies and over-the-top costumes

the only band that call pull this off is Dethklok
ok gotcha. I wasn't sure if it was the official new title of something or not. Kinda like djent just came outta nowhere.
Quote by StrykVladzimsky

i put blackouts in my tele! couldnt be happier!
Hell Yea Im Straight Edge!
ESP Eclipse II (or) Fender Strat w/David Gilmour EMGs > Cry Baby Original > Digitech RP250 > JOYO Ultimate Overdrive > MXR BLS Chorus > MXR Phase 90 > EHX Memory Toy > 1981 Marshall JCM800
yeah. i was planning a pearly gates or a 59 in the neck. output isn't really that much of a problem with the neck. the bridge i would like to be a bit crunchy but clear and have a decent harmonic response. just something with slightly higher output than the standard. are alnico II's slash sets too low, coz i know slash uses powerful amps which i don't have. I also play bluesy stuff too. The JB's seem alright too. As with Dimarzio i don't really like the cleans out of them. Don't know much about the custom customs :S
Quote by W4RP1G

also "br00talz"

i'd have said the jb was too hot, but that's just me. also can get a bit muddy in a lp. depends on what you want, of course- you could do worse than a jb, certainly, though if you ask me you can also do better.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Seth Lovers are great pickups.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Don't overlook Gibson Burstbucker and Burstbucker Pro. You can't get any more classic than that. They are the original PAF pickups..
Quote by W4RP1G
What no BKP suggestions? This is odd...

+1 give a visit to Barenuckles website....very nice stuff
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by W4RP1G
ok gotcha. I wasn't sure if it was the official new title of something or not. Kinda like djent just came outta nowhere.

djent is onomatopoeia for hitting really low tuned strings hard, pushing them a little sharp. I'm talking 7 in drop G# and that range.

@OP: Pearly Gates set or maybe a Custom 5/59 set.

Quote by Finger Cramp
Don't overlook Gibson Burstbucker and Burstbucker Pro. You can't get any more classic than that. They are the original PAF pickups..

*cough*
no, not at all. You want something like the original? Try Lollars or something of that ilk.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Aug 9, 2011,
Quote by Finger Cramp

wat
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i'd get a '59 in the neck and a pearly gates in the bridge if i was you.
Quote by bluestratplayer
Im going to initial the back of every MG in guitarcenter "ZW" and see how many threads come out thinking Zakk Wylde owned thier amp.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Just me and rhino will end in the extinction of a species.
Quote by rhino1957
i'd get a '59 in the neck and a pearly gates in the bridge if i was you.
That would be a massive difference in power. The '59 is pretty much a Pearly Gates with a more powerful and brighter magnet in it. If anything you'd want it the other way around so the outputs would at least almost balance.