Why do the EMG pickups on my guitar sound muddy and unclear? I use a combination of EMG85(neck) and EMG(81). And when I play clean it still sounds abit distorted. How to I make it sound clearer and make the clean sound not distorted?
I'm guessing the problem is your amp, not your guitar. Do you have a little solid-state practice amp turned up too loud for it to handle?
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
What amp are you using and what do you have teh volume/gain etc set to?
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
It's a marshall MG30DFX. I borrowed it from my friend. I tried on another peavey amp which I forgot the model and it still didn't sound clear but muddy and the cleans were distorted.
If the cleans are distorted then it's almost always the amp.

Unless the battery in your guitar is dying, that could make it sound distorted.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

The volume and gain is not really set very high because I have neighbors that have a low tolerance of noise.
Obviously the MG's aren't of the highest quality around and are in fact hated around here, but if the problem persists even with good amps it's actually not that strange. Active pickups have very high output, and sometimes sound slightly distorted even when playing clean, try to roll back the volume on your guitar.
Maybe if the pickups are very high and close to the strings that might contribute to it as well but that's just a guess and most likely not the culprit.
REGGIE
So will changing the pickups make it sound much better? Or do I have to get a better amp or fool around with the eq?
EMGs are good pickups, you shouldn't have to replace them to get a good sound.

See if you can take your guitar intoa shop and try it through some of the amps there. For example, if you try it through a Vox AC30 at low volumes and it distortes, it's the guitar.

EDIT: also having the bass turned up too high on small amps can make it sound undefined and possibly distort.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

EMG actives aren't exactly bad pickups, in fact they're pretty much industry standard for metal. If they're faulty I guess you'll have to send them (or the guitar if they came with it) back, but try rolling back the volume and yes, you'll probably want a better amp to take full advantage of your EMG's.
REGGIE
Try adjusting your pickup height. Chances are, they're too close to the strings.
turn your gain almost all the way down, there may be another gain knob for the cleaner channel. so look for that as well