Hey Guys,

I would like you to help me choosing a guitar. I am still a newby, played like 1 year on a cheap Epiphone les paul special II. But now I know that I am capable of learning this awesome instrument, I want a better one!! :P
I play mostly rock, metal, hard rock, punk. Must have a good clean setting too.
Have a few guitars on my list with a bit of a big price gap and I don't know if its worth spending that much so I ask you guys to advice me
From cheap to more expensive:

-IBANEZ RG350EXZ BLACK 415 euro
-IBANEZ RGA42TFMZ TRANSPARENT RED BURST 472 euro
-IBANEZ RGA72TQMZ TRANSPARENT GRAY BURST 567 euro (why 100 euros more for a Quilted Maple Top and what does it means exactly?)
-IBANEZ RG870Z PREMIUM BLACK 642 euro
-IBANEZ RG870QMZ PREMIUM RED DESERT 755 euro

I really like the ibanez features :P
And a bit horny on the whole premium stuff, gives a pro feelling! but is it that much better?

And maybe an jackson or an ESP LTD if you know a good one...

Hope you guys can help me choose + teach me more about the wonders of the guitar world! thnx
ESP's are amazing, check out their site. They have body shapes for everyone. I have an Eclipse, and it's amazing.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

Yeah I have looked at them, pretty cool. But then I would like the Kirk Hammet or a Jeff Hanneman kind of guitar. But the cheapper moddels uses a EMG ESP LH300 I don't know them, how are those pups?
First thing comes to mind looking at your wishlist is that are you much a Floyd Rose guy? Floating tremolos are awesome to have if you're actually using it and life sucks without it once you're used to it. But they cost you some sustain and also a massive pain in the ass to set up/change strings.

If that's not a worry, I'd recommend you the LTD M-300. Comes with EMG81s and are built pretty solid. Ibanez... I hate em with a passion, as they sound poor, besides the signature models and high end Prestige series.

Or you could look into putting some good pickups and changing the tuning machines on your LP. I put Duncan JBs on my old Special II, and it sounds like gravy.
Don't buy Guitar Hero.
Buy Guitar Pro.

My Gear: (That I actually use)

ESP Edwards E-CY-165 CTM
Vox Saturator
Vox AD50VT
Vox Tonelab LE
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Haha never used a trem but the promises they made on the ibanez website made them pretty versatile (switching between floating and locked?) so i thought i might try one of those, but yes i want a trem on my next guitar. Thus keeping my old guitar will not suffice.
As for the LTD M-300 it looks verry nice, but don't know if i will get irritated by the retuning and stuff, like i said never used one. But is it better then the ibanez Premium? The EMG's though should be good from what i've heard(never used, still nooby here), floyd rose should be good too from what i've heard.
Quote by StrykVladzimsky
ESP's are amazing, check out their site. They have body shapes for everyone. I have an Eclipse, and it's amazing.

This! I love my eclipse too!
I love ESPs, too, but for some reason I ended up with a Xiphos, an RG770, and even a Schecter instead of the ESPs. I guess the lower-end Ibanezes may sound "poor" but mine both came with DiMarzio pickups from the factory, and that was one of the reasons I bought them over similarly priced ESPs (LTDs).

Playing even the cheap Kirk Hammet model just brings a smile to my face, though. But the pickups on it are unimpressive. I've seen several of those with the correct active pickups installed later. They didn't get their money back when they sold them.

To do that right, you'll need to route out a battery compartment--the ones I saw had the battery in the control compartment--totally lame!!!

Yeah, Floyds are a pain to restring, but once you do it (if you stretch the strings all the way) then you don't have to mess with it again until the next re-stringing. Unless you take it into places with different temperatures--then it's a pain; especially if you're gigging. Unless you have a tech to absorb that pain for you.
Quote by jetwash69
I love ESPs, too, but for some reason I ended up with a Xiphos, an RG770, and even a Schecter instead of the ESPs. I guess the lower-end Ibanezes may sound "poor" but mine both came with DiMarzio pickups from the factory, and that was one of the reasons I bought them over similarly priced ESPs (LTDs).

Playing even the cheap Kirk Hammet model just brings a smile to my face, though. But the pickups on it are unimpressive. I've seen several of those with the correct active pickups installed later. They didn't get their money back when they sold them.

To do that right, you'll need to route out a battery compartment--the ones I saw had the battery in the control compartment--totally lame!!!

Yeah, Floyds are a pain to restring, but once you do it (if you stretch the strings all the way) then you don't have to mess with it again until the next re-stringing. Unless you take it into places with different temperatures--then it's a pain; especially if you're gigging. Unless you have a tech to absorb that pain for you.

Just remember i come from a Epiphone Les Paul Special II, everything will sound better too me! xD Don't know schecter, what's a nice model?
But how about that ibanez premium model and what about that 100 euro's more for Quilted Maple Top?

Edit: I don't do giggs yet and also no tech guy, lol
Last edited by Psy8cho at Aug 7, 2011,
The only Schecter that really suits me is the Avenger.

Unfortunately, my favorite configuration of it (flat top, cool headstock), happens to be a signature model, so it has loud pin stripes and inlays, but I could live with that after finding it at a pawn shop for $400 (almost half of what it would cost new). I replaced the Duncan Designed pickups with a Sustainiac (takes the place of the neck pup) and a real Seymore Duncan SH-8 Invader. Unless I paint it and cover up the neck inlays, I really couldn't gig with it, though.

The DD HB-108 Detonators it came with aren't bad--I have the bridge pup loaded in a Squier and use it a lot (paired with an SD Jazz in the neck).
The C1s are really common--if you can find one configured like you like, it could be good for you too, withouth the issues that come with the Syn Standard Avenger. Although the gates guitar is one of the best playing instruments I've come accross--even the cheap version. The Custom model is has a set neck (glued on, but not neck-through), ebony fretboard, an OFR, and real Duncan Invaders. Doesn't seem worth the extra $350, though, after playing both. Nothing wrong with the LFR, set necks aren't great and I enough fret access with my bolt on. You can upgrade the pups to real SDs for half the difference. The ebony is neat, but is it worth $175? Not for me. Especially since I got mine for a lot less than $700.
The dealer I'm going to does not have any schecters nor is it common in Holland, just googled it. Only a few dealers have them and none of them in my travel range...

Edit: Ok so if you had to choose between these guitars(below), which one would you buy and why in respect too the others or similar ones in the same price range?
-ESP LTD M300FM 650 Euro
-IBANEZ RGA42TFMZ 472 Euro
-IBANEZ RGA72TQMZ 567 Euro
-IBANEZ RG870Z 642 Euro
-IBANEZ RG870QMZ 755 Euro
Last edited by Psy8cho at Aug 7, 2011,
Regarding the quilted maple top, this is mostly a cosmetic addition. The maple will add some "brightness" to the guitar's sound, but this is less noticeable than a change in pickups. If you don't especially like the look of the maple, it's not an upgrade I think you would want to spend the money on.
Ok thnx, was really confused about that. Though I do like it but don't know if i want to spend the money on it. If it's just cosmetic then i will just look more at the rest of the specs!
But how about those guitars, i can only order 2 or 3 to try out at the store. Which ones should i try/compare, or which one would you buy?
I just noticed that I never told you guys which guitar I finally got!
So for completion of this post:
I bought the Ibanez RG870QMZ! And I love it, it's the most beautifull and awesome guitar I've ever seen!! you can tell I am in love
As far as what i think of it, the versitility is verry broad.. Till now I've been able to make any kind of sound.. stays in tune fairly well(got old strings so hard to say).. pinch harmonics are easy and sound good.. the sustain on the high e side is a little bit low imo, but that could also be the setup of the pickups(height and all, looking into that soon).. And I would be this guitar over and over again!
You should go for a seven or eight string. They're perfect for everybody!

OT: I still say a seven or eight string.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.