Short and straight to the point, is it possible to sweep pick without the pick? I tried it myself and i found the most difficult part was to stop the strings ringing out and i was wondering if there's a particular method for muting if you're not using your picking hand?

Also, is there ever a time in which people do sweep without the pick? I've seen it done by some of the professional guitarists when they use their picking hand to barre down a lower fret to act as a temporary capo.
Can anybody think of any other practical uses for this technique?

Thank you (:
Sounds like cheating yourself to me..Could be useful when showing off though.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54eZyO3cdGg#t=46s

Check out that fast lick. It ends with a descending "sweep" arpeggio without using a pick. It's plenty possible, but harder to get clean. I probably could find you a better example from his instructional DVD but can't be arsed to do it.

As to why he doesn't pick it, it's because he doesn't have his pick between his index finger and thumb when tapping. It might not be that practical but practising it should make your picked sweeps cleaner as well.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Use a hair band to prevent any notes from ringing out, lots of shredders use it to make multiple string tapping sound really good and clean
Quote by Zeletros
Use a hair band to prevent any notes from ringing out, lots of shredders use it to make multiple string tapping sound really good and clean

But that's cheating
that's not sweep "picking". Just playing arpeggios with one hand. Just use your right hand to mute the strings and play the arpeggios with your left hand. Nothing too difficult.
I'm not a James Hetfield fan
My username is "hames jetfield" because "farty mriedman" sounds weird.

Quote by laid-to-waste
i have rabies from licking my pet rat's face

Jackson DK2M
Digitech RP255
Vox DA5
Casio CTK-6000
Quote by T.s.e
But that's cheating

And then again, who cares?

I do it, people might say "he can only play that cause of the hairband". Most of the time that is utter bullshit, but it will help me preform those little trickier licks without being afraid of complete failure.

It dosent do THAT much of a difference.
Quote by bokma
I wouldn't say it's cheating. But it shows you have real skill if you make it sound clean without the hair band

It's not always physically possible to play cleanly at high speed, if you check the video I showed
There's no cheating in music. It's pathetic that people judge each others' music based on whether they use a hairband or not. As if music had to be technically difficult. But I guess some people really see music as a sport.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Quote by hames jetfield
that's not sweep "picking". Just playing arpeggios with one hand. Just use your right hand to mute the strings and play the arpeggios with your left hand. Nothing too difficult.

Pretty much.
Quote by T.s.e
But that's cheating

Yore only cheating yoreself being that you can't use open strings ring out anymore.

Some people are fine with this, I see it as kind of inconvenient.
Quote by T.s.e
But that's cheating

Quote by thrashdeth
Yore only cheating yoreself being that you can't use open strings ring out anymore.

Some people are fine with this, I see it as kind of inconvenient.

Well no one's going to leave it on 24/7. It's mainly utilized for recording sessions, where studio time is expensive. It doesn't make you a cheater because you'd like to complete your recording in less attempts.
watch Satraini's mystical potato head groove, he has these appergios in the chorus, use your right hand to mute, it works and is not cheating
Quote by Flibo
There's no cheating in music. It's pathetic that people judge each others' music based on whether they use a hairband or not. As if music had to be technically difficult. But I guess some people really see music as a sport.

A lot of shredding (particularly on YT videos) is basically just "look how fast I can go". In circumstances like that then a hairband certainly is 'cheating'.

Obviously things are different in an actual musical environment, where someone is playing fast to aid the song rather than just showing off.
To me, using a hairband is like using a capo to some extent. You could go without, but it would have hard to do and it makes life a lot easier on some players. I don't see how it's cheating, though. I use one when I play live and when I record because it provides me just a little more certainty that I won't have unwanted noise. I am able to play without it (and I didn't use one on this song I recorded recently as a point of pride), but I find that having it there makes recording so much easier, since I don't have to cut nearly as many takes because of random open strings ringing out.