Hey guys, relative newbie here. I'm in a progressive rock metal band and i need an amp that allows me to have really sharp cutoffs at the end of lines. I've always been into lush valve tones and have a tsl60 head which is an absolute ballbreaker, it sounds great. Problem is I can't tame the beast for the sound we're trying to get. I've got a really good quality noise gate running with it but it still affects my tone and i need it to really shut up quickly when we finish riffs mid song. My bandmate has the tackiest multi-fx boss pedal. He uses one of the distortion presets much to my dismay but...it does what we need, clear and crisp with highly effective in built noise gate. So now I'm thinking of selling the tsl60 and getting a valve midi preamp and valve poweramp. What do you guys reckon? I guess I'll have to sacrifice some of the valve monster greatness for a clearer sound. Thinking of marshall jmp-1 or similar, any suggestions...

Anyway check us out to see what I'm on about...www.facebook.com/plantingclaymoreband

Cheers
what noise gate are you using? try using an isp decimator if you aren't.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
If you like the TSL so much you can probably just use the preamp on it. I'm not sure if a rack setup would get you any closer to what you're looking for, though. At the end of the day you're just building up an amp from components and putting effects into a signal chain, which you can do on the TSL.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
An easier and better solution is to find a better gate. Better than completely destroying the sound you like to chase something that your solution is destined to not deliver.
Start looking at better gates. Go try a few out.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification