Trying to find the best place for the Phase 90 in my effects chain. Have read some people prefer it in the effects loop, others like it before distortion (e.g. clean signal running into the Phaser, then into distortion).

Anyone know what David Gilmour and Eddie Van Halen did with this in terms of placement? Have not found anything definitive for Gilmour, EVH sites don't offer a simple description.
I just usually try out different orders to find the best sound if I'm not sure, try it in different spots and leave it were you think it fits best
Quote by metacarpi
I get called a slut all the time, and I'm a dude.

If im not mistaken evh put it before the amp but after an overdrive. Saw a video of it on netflix. So guitar»overdrive»phase»amp. There were other stuf in there tho like wahs
EVH was in front of the amp and after an EQ.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Here is what I get from Gilmourish per the link above (many thanks). This appears to be the setup for The Wall. I note the effects "in chain" show the phase 90 coming after the Fuzz Face and Big Muff. Assuming those are classified as distortion, it appears Gilmour placed the phaser after the distortion. The posters above descibe EVH as placing the phaser before distortion. If that is true, its fascinating the difference between the two approaches and the amazing tones created by each.

1980-81 The Wall tour –Version 3
For the recording of The Wall, David had a new Cornish board, which was a little smaller than the 1976 board. – read more here. The ’76 Cornish board was again used for the Wall tour in ‘80-’81.

Effects as in chain;

Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face (BC109)
Electro Harmonix Big Muff (1973 “Ram’s Head&rdquo
MXR Phase 90
Electro Harmonix Small Stone
Electro Harmonix Electric Mistress
Pete Cornish (ST-2) Treble and Bass Boost
Cry Baby wah wah
MXR Dynacomp
(send/return for additional effects, Boss CE-2)
Pete Cornish Tone pedal
Pete Cornish volume pedal
(send/return for delays, MXR DDL)
MXR Noise Gate/Line Driver