Hi,
so I've been playing guitar for a while now. I've learned most of the basic chords, still trying to learn some more though. But what should I do after I've learned the most basic chords. Should I keep on learning more or do something else? I'd like to learn to play some rock and stuff like that. I own both acoustic and electric guitars.

Thank you in advance!
stuba
Once you've learned the basic chords, you should learn some songs which use them so you get used to playing them in different orders and changing between them etc. You'll keep learning more new chords as you come across them in the songs you're learning.

Also start learning scales.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Thanks! I already play some songs with these chords. How should I use the scales I've learned then?
stuba
Quote by Stubaa
Thanks! I already play some songs with these chords. How should I use the scales I've learned then?

Just learn about Modes, Scales, and at bare minimum have a tiny comprehension of music theory (note names, keys, etc). In my opinion they really helped me.
PSN - Boosted928
How about learning 12 Bar blues shuffle. Learn it so that you can do it in your sleep. The start of all that Rock. Cheers
Depends on what you want to do. What are your goals? Do you want to become a virtuoso guitarist or a campfire guitarist? Do you want to learn about music theory in depth?

If you want to learn rock, just learn rock songs. There are plenty of tabs here.

You don't actually have to memorize all chord shapes. With music theory knowledge you can build up your own shapes for any chords you ever need.

Definitely check out this series of articles, it should offer a lot of stuff to learn: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/the_ultimate_guide_to_guitar_chapter_i__1_introduction_-_the_guitar.html
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Learn power chords and some punk rock. That entire genre is fantastic for a guitarist just starting to learn rock.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
The beauty in learning the guitar is that you can do whatever you want to do next! If I were you, I would try to get very good at changing the chords that you already know. So, if you know G,D,C, I would see how fast I could change G to D, D to C, C to G, G to C, C to G and so on. Once you can do that fluidly, try learning some songs that have those chords in them. And also, always be adding to the chords you already know, in this case, you know G,D,C. Try learning Em, Am, E, A etc. Good luck!
Depends on how serious you are about playing, and what your ultimate aim is, as has been said.

If you want to play more than just chords, you should learn about interval and learn the notes of the fretboard, and THEN learn about chord construction [EDIT: know chord construction means you'll automatically know EVERY chord, which sounds awesome, but really isn't much]. Basic chords are important to keep the motivation up, train your aural skills and how fast you can change from chord to chord. If you can, try to get the chord shape before you fret the strings. I didn't practice that way and now I'm suffering...

When you know the notes, the intervals and how chords are created, start learning about chord progressions.

And don't forget the CAGED system, the basic concept that any chord can be played in five different places in the fretboard, in the positions of C, A, G, E and D, as bar chords. Google it to know more about it. But you need the basic understanding of intervals and notes before that.

Please note: learning scales is nice, but you won't be able to learn anything in depth before you know about intervals. Do remember that.
• '10 Epiphone Les Paul
• '96 Epiphone Rebel EM-1
• '10 Jackson JS32T Rhoads
• Vox Valvetronix VT20+
• Fame GTA40
• Zoom GX7.1u
• Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
• Jim Dunlop Ultex Jazz III 2mm
Last edited by Tiago Sa at Aug 8, 2011,
Okay, thanks to all you guys. I'm just checking that article out that Flibo linked. I can already do the most of the chords on the second page, it's the #s that give some trouble . And I'll try to check out some punk songs later this evening, but I really just don't know any punk bands. Well, maybe I'll find something.

And for music theory I found this site: http://www.musictheory.net/lessons You guys think it's any good or should I look for some other? Reading all that in a language that you're not used to speak, makes it a little harder, but there's just not that many Finnish music theory sites I guess. And I'm too lazy to go to a library. Actually I found this book my dad had called 'The Guitar Handbook' by Ralph Denyer. I've been reading it for a while now.

And to what my goals are, I don't want to be a rockstar or anything, I just want to play for fun. I mean I wouldn't mind playing like one, but I'm still not that serious about playing.

But thanks to all you again, you're really helping me out with all this.
stuba