Until recently i thought that i held the guitar pick the normal way ( if there is one ) but ive been studying paul gilberts playing and he holds it the complete opposite way.

I angle the pick so that the side of the pick is facing the bridge pickup. That is when the pick is at a 45 degree angle. My thumb is fully extended.

I may try and get some photos up later
Some people play with their pick angled so picking feels easier, but this method often causes unwanted noise as the pick "scrapes" rather than "picks" the string. If you keep the pick parallel with the string then picking will be more difficult but will give a cleaner sound. It'll take some getting used to if you don't normally pick that way but it's worth it.
Quote by Gunpowder
C'mon, man. We're just kidding. We all know that drummers are important.

After all, without drummers, who would bag my groceries?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
Honestly, the way you hold the pick isn't a big deal, it should just co-operate well with the picking/wrist technique you're using, which is often a much bigger deal.
Quote by theknuckster
You said 45 degrees in your OP, but then in the photos your pick is nearly parallel to the strings?

I vary the angle depending on what im playing but about 50 degrees is the maximum angle i can achieve with the current way i hold the pick. Do u think it would be worth changing ?
For years (through which I didn't own my own guitar) I've held the pick with my thumb and my index and middle fingers. As such, I couldn't change my angle a lot, and my muting technique suffered severely. Last month I started practicing the proper way to old the pick, with the tip of the thumb and the side of the index finger. I'm now about 90% at ease with this way of holding the pick. I chose to do it because it allows me to mute unwanted noise way way easier, and also for pinch harmonics, is a lot easier to do it. You hold it that way, I'd say you shouldn't worry too much about how you old the pick anymore. If you like it sideways, the sound that is, then hold it sideways. If you like the sound of the pick held parallel to the strings, then go with it. I myself change the angle depending on how hard it is for me to pick a given passage, rather than how I want it to sound, but that's because I lack skill.
• '10 Epiphone Les Paul
• '96 Epiphone Rebel EM-1
• '10 Jackson JS32T Rhoads
• Vox Valvetronix VT20+
• Fame GTA40
• Zoom GX7.1u
• Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
• Jim Dunlop Ultex Jazz III 2mm
Quote by Tiago Sa
For years (through which I didn't own my own guitar) I've held the pick with my thumb and my index and middle fingers. As such, I couldn't change my angle a lot, and my muting technique suffered severely. Last month I started practicing the proper way to old the pick, with the tip of the thumb and the side of the index finger. I'm now about 90% at ease with this way of holding the pick. I chose to do it because it allows me to mute unwanted noise way way easier, and also for pinch harmonics, is a lot easier to do it. You hold it that way, I'd say you shouldn't worry too much about how you old the pick anymore. If you like it sideways, the sound that is, then hold it sideways. If you like the sound of the pick held parallel to the strings, then go with it. I myself change the angle depending on how hard it is for me to pick a given passage, rather than how I want it to sound, but that's because I lack skill.

Im still unsure whether to change. Ive noticed that pretty much every guitarist angles the pick down. Angleing it backwards means i cant get much of an angle on the strings which means more friction and will eventually slow my playing down.

Paul Gilbert changed how he held the pick after 8 years, that must have been awkward. I dont want to leave it that long.

I could practice both ways i suppose
Depending on the style you want to go, I used to hold the pick "naturally" and I had a hard time with precision and speed.

Kinda like this one:

I was stuck on my learning and couldn't improve. Then I saw a video for sweep picking where the dudes explained how to hold the pick.
IE (more or less):

at first, it was a real pain because I'd go back (naturally) to my hold way. I also lost a lot of speed in the beginning. But after a while, it started to get to me and I greatly improved my speed and my accuracy.

So, IMHO, if you want to improve, change the way you hold it!
It really doesnt matter how you hold the pick at all, as far as shredders go (Paul Gilbert, Malsteen, Rusty Cooley, MAB)- all of them hold the pick different, hell broderick uses a thumb pick and still can shred with the best of them. I used to be worried about this, but just hold it how you want and work on technique over switching pick positions
As long as the motion is coming from your wrist, you should be fine with however you are holding the pick. I hold my pick similar to Paul Gilbert, but I have a friend who holds it like you do (tilted the opposite way) and he can out shred me any day of the week.
Quote by JTNorquay
Honestly, the way you hold the pick isn't a big deal, it should just co-operate well with the picking/wrist technique you're using, which is often a much bigger deal.

uggh........
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Quote by mrbabo91
Im still unsure whether to change. Ive noticed that pretty much every guitarist angles the pick down. Angleing it backwards means i cant get much of an angle on the strings which means more friction and will eventually slow my playing down.

Ultimately, is down to how easy your picking style/angle makes it for you to play everything else. For me, holding the pick the standard way makes it WAY easier to mute the strings when I want to. Angling the pick makes it way easier to do fast riffs, but I never angle the pick more than 10 or 15 degrees when I'm soloing (I say soloing, but I suck). I actually make an effort to have it parallel to the string, and the sound is fantastically clean and sharp in comparison.

Quote by mrbabo91
Paul Gilbert changed how he held the pick after 8 years, that must have been awkward. I dont want to leave it that long.

Nah. For a professional guitarist, I suppose it's just a month or two before you've relearned it.

Quote by mrbabo91
I could practice both ways i suppose

You could, but I don't know if that's a good thing...
• '10 Epiphone Les Paul
• '96 Epiphone Rebel EM-1
• '10 Jackson JS32T Rhoads
• Vox Valvetronix VT20+
• Fame GTA40
• Zoom GX7.1u
• Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
• Jim Dunlop Ultex Jazz III 2mm