Just something i would like to ask other players to see if they have the same problem as me. Most of the year and a bit that ive played guitar, i had played while sitting down and being hunched over the guitar. I got used to picking like this and never had any problems. But now ive started playing while standing(because of back pain from sitting awkwardly all the time) and my picking is pretty awful. I cant seem to palm mute properly and so i get alot of unwanted noise. Ive been playing while standing for about 3months now. The palm muting is improving abit and so i can get more clean sounding playing. Im just curious if anyone else has had this problem. Also another thing that is troubling me. I cannot get decent chug palm mutes with my strat. I have to pick right on the middle pickup but when picking there my palm ends up pushing down on the bridge and bending the note upward, so thats abit of a pain. any suggestions? cheers guys
Keep practising. You've obviously learnt some bad habits when playing sitting down, it will take a while to un-learn them.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Make sure that your strap isn't set too low for you to be uncomfortable, just set the length correctly, and after that, you need to spend a lot of time getting used to playing while standing, it takes time, but someday you'll get it
I learned guitar like that for a year. Like the dude above me, adjust so you're comfortable, not so you look like Billy Joe. And when you're comfortable with it, lower it a bit, then a bit more if needed.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

Keep adjusting the strap til it feels comfortable and keep a decent posture - one that doesn't strain your back or involve hunching over - and makes picking feel easiest. Same goes for when you practice seated since that's how you got into this bad habit in the first place!

P.S. I personally find it easier to play standing up than sitting down - not sure if that's normal
Ibanez GRG170DX
Line 6 Spider IV 15
Quote by GaryHB
Keep practising. You've obviously learnt some bad habits when playing sitting down, it will take a while to un-learn them.

That's it.
Don't forget that, basically, the lower the guitar when standing, the harder it will be. Never mind that it looks cooler, playing badly will erase all your coolness. Of course, if you just want to play some basic riffs or something, go for the low swung guitar. It does look cool, but practice with it just slightly above your waist level. I find that I'll play the best with the guitar on by breast, but that gets very uncomfortable over time on your back, and may be just outright impossible to play if your a chick with a nice set of knockers. Of course if you actually have one, forget the low swung guitar, just get a nice cleavage and you'll rock (as long as you can play)
• '10 Epiphone Les Paul
• '96 Epiphone Rebel EM-1
• '10 Jackson JS32T Rhoads
• Vox Valvetronix VT20+
• Fame GTA40
• Zoom GX7.1u
• Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
• Jim Dunlop Ultex Jazz III 2mm
i have major back pain from sitting. i feeel your pain bro. guess im going to have to stand from now on.
you should practice the good posture. as a commenter said, you are used to sit than standing up . and also, don't forget to stretch your back :P
I also started learning and playing while sitting down. I make it a point to stand now at least half of my practice time.

My biggest problem is that it's most comfortable to play standing but with my right foot on a chair or bench or something. This angles the guitar up so I can see the fretboard better.
Like it does when I'm sitting.

I'm hoping that as I get better . I won't have to watch my fet hand so much.

Practice,Practice, Practice.
dngrsdave

Heavy Metal Thunder
Quote by dngrsdave
My biggest problem is that it's most comfortable to play standing but with my right foot on a chair or bench or something.

The right foot goes on top of the amp, mate. On top of the amp.
• '10 Epiphone Les Paul
• '96 Epiphone Rebel EM-1
• '10 Jackson JS32T Rhoads
• Vox Valvetronix VT20+
• Fame GTA40
• Zoom GX7.1u
• Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
• Jim Dunlop Ultex Jazz III 2mm
Practise alot standing up, i was like that at first but now i've played for abou 5-6 years and i'm able to play while jumping around like crazy on stage.
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

Quote by Tiago Sa
The right foot goes on top of the amp, mate. On top of the amp.

You mean monitor, right?
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.