Poll: Standing or sitting?
Poll Options
View poll results: Standing or sitting?
Standing
16 31%
Sitting
35 69%
Voters: 51.
I'm specifically talking about electric guitar playing for this question; do you find it easier to play seated or standing up? I find it MUCH easier to pick accurately while standing and moderately easier to fret (playing lead). Yet most of my friends say it's easier sitting down...which do you prefer?
Ibanez GRG170DX
Line 6 Spider IV 15
Well, I started playing sitting for year, and I am still getting better at playing standing up, but IMO the main thing that makes it so hard is playing with your strap too low.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

Yeah, I normally practice sitting down, so it's kinda hard to stand up and play on the same level that I was without having the guitar so high up I look like a member of The Beatles.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Sitting will always be as easy or easier than standing, as you can get the guitar into all the positions you can standing, + more
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
i can't get a good angle to stum quickly when i'm standing. i prefer sitting.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
It's pretty simple, really: you'll be good at playing while standing if you practice while standing, and you won't if you don't. If you don't want to play live or generally with or to other people, or if you play classical guitar, there is no need for practice while standing. Otherwise, you really do need to practice while standing.

I myself practice most of the time sitting down, because I do frequent short "bursts" in front of the computer, but whenever I play for prolonged periods of time, stuff that I don't need the computer for, I'll get up and play. For me, it's easier to play standing up. It doesn't necessarily mean that I play better standing up.
• '10 Epiphone Les Paul
• '96 Epiphone Rebel EM-1
• '10 Jackson JS32T Rhoads
• Vox Valvetronix VT20+
• Fame GTA40
• Zoom GX7.1u
• Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
• Jim Dunlop Ultex Jazz III 2mm
My first impulse is always to sit down with a guitar. Since I'm primarily a classical guitarist i don't have much need to stand for that purpose, but when I play jazz electric guitar I feel equally comfortable standing up and sitting down - it's wierd :\
I'm way better while sitting, but I'm practicing standing up and starting to like it more
Quote by Tiago Sa
It's pretty simple, really: you'll be good at playing while standing if you practice while standing, and you won't if you don't. If you don't want to play live or generally with or to other people, or if you play classical guitar, there is no need for practice while standing. Otherwise, you really do need to practice while standing.

I myself practice most of the time sitting down, because I do frequent short "bursts" in front of the computer, but whenever I play for prolonged periods of time, stuff that I don't need the computer for, I'll get up and play. For me, it's easier to play standing up. It doesn't necessarily mean that I play better standing up.

It's not like you totally suck playing standing up if you have never practised doing it. Guitar skills are relatively the same whether you're standing up or sitting. Just be sure to set your strap correctly.

Also, I've been to a show where the guitarist was sitting for the whole show and it was a really awesome experience. It kind of does depend on the genre though.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
I almost never practice while sitting. If you can play something while sitting, you may not be able to play it while standing. And it's not much of a stage presence if you just sit there on a chair. Just look at Satch. When he wrote Crushing Day, he couldn't play it while standing so when he played it live for the first time he had to sit on a chair. I've seen more stage presence at clinics and lessons.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Definitely sitting. I guess it depends on how much you practice standing though, and I realize that one of my biggest problems is that I always practice sitting down.
to me, it doesnt really matter. during practicing, i keep switching between standing up, sitting down, walking around.... i have my guitar pretty high, almost as high as it is when sitting down. kinda like john petrucci. And im still practicing on getting as good as him :P
I prefer sitting, but like to practice standing to get more used to it with technical stuff. It's not just about strap height like some people keep saying. At least not for me. The angles and everything are different, regardless of how high I strap it.
Quote by Voodoosnake
I suck so hard when I get up..

Must...not....make....joke....

I would say I find it slightly easier sitting, i've been trying to practice playing while standing to get better at it.
This is a silly thread.

If you're playing a gig then you're going to be standing up.

If you're not then it doesn't matter.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
You don't have to be such a hardass. There's nothing wrong with this kind of discussion. Perhaps some would like to hear others' reasoning on why they may prefer standing, even when not gigging. And gigs aren't always played standing.