I dunno about you guys, but one of the games that defined my childhood was Mario 64. And earlier this afternoon, I was just thinking about how great the music in the game was, particularly the theme that played in the water levels (Jolly Roger Bay, Dire Dire Docks, and the secret aquarium). And then I thought it would sound really cool with some sub bass and an impossibly fast breakbeat behind it as a liquid drum and bass remix.

So, I was just talking about it to some UG buddies of mine, and they dug the idea, so I decided that maybe it would be cool to have an album dedicated to covers and remixes of the music from the game. And now I'm pitching it to you, Pit Monkeys.

Would you be interested in participating in this?

Deadline's not set yet, but we can agree on something once we have a decent number of participants.
I'd be interested in submitting a cover can it be of any style or just DNB as you mentioned?
Quote by genghisgandhi
Are Merzbow style noise covers acceptable?

Any genre, although I'm not sure how you'd be able to cover a Mario 64 tune in the style of Merzbow.

You could probably do a drone/dark ambient cover of the music from Shifting Sand Land and Lethal Lava Land, though.

At the very least, the main melody has to be recognizable. You can rearrange it, reharmonize it, add in a bunch of extra stuff, embellish the melody, whatever. But if there's no portion of the main theme from the tune you're covering or remixing, even in a very embellished form, then I don't think I can accept it.

But any genre is acceptable, as long as you fit that sole requirement. You could even take the melody from one of the tunes and use it as the basis for a fugue or a theme and variations. You could do a shoegaze cover and sing the melody with vague or even completely nonsense lyrics. You could use the main melody as the basis of a jazz tune with radically reharmonized chord changes, and just play the melody as the head at the beginning and end of the tune, with solos throughout.

In fact, I'd love to hear some original arrangements of the music. I want to hear what UG can do with this material.

You can also submit more than one track if you'd like, although I'd say no more than three, and I might lower that to two if we get a lot of contributors.

Quote by 12Jim34
I'd be interested in submitting a cover can it be of any style or just DNB as you mentioned?

Any style. It would be boring if it was just a single genre. Plus, most of the soundtrack wouldn't be suited towards DnB anyway.
Last edited by Holy Katana at Aug 7, 2011,
Quote by TheReverend724
How about we extend it to any Mario game? The OST only has like 10 songs that are over 2 minutes in length

Oh, I didn't realize that.

Okay, any Mario game, then. Can a mod change the thread title? I'll edit the OP after someone changes the title.

But really, a Mario 64 album would technically be doable. While there aren't too many long tracks on the soundtrack, the shorter ones can be expanded upon. I'd like people to try to do a bit of composition or rearrangement.

But I'll concede and let people use music from any Mario game.
Last edited by Holy Katana at Aug 7, 2011,
I wanna do something with the castle theme from SMB. I don't know if I'll ever finish it though.
Quote by DeaThrash
I could sign on doing the Metal Cap theme, in some breakbeat inspired way.

ಠ_ಠ

The Metal Cap theme is already a breakbeat remix of the Starman theme. I mean, go ahead if you want, I guess.
Is birabuto kingdom on these soundtracks?

Even if it's not I'm doing either a mad metal or super sad version of it. Not decided yet.
Quote by Holy Katana
ಠ_ಠ

The Metal Cap theme is already a breakbeat remix of the Starman theme. I mean, go ahead if you want, I guess.

That's why i said inspired
It's gonna be different trust me
Quote by jetfuel495
I wanna do a dubstep remix of the Haunted House theme.

Somebody teach me how to make dubstep.

EDIT: with like a DnB beat on it.

It wouldn't be dubstep if it had a DnB beat. It would be DnB.
Quote by jetfuel495
But what if it only had a dnb beat for parts of it, and the rest was like half-time dnb?

Well, I dunno, then.
Quote by jetfuel495
But what if it only had a dnb beat for parts of it, and the rest was like half-time dnb?

This mix is terrible but I think it has what you mean

http://soundcloud.com/banshee-beats/et-remix-mix-attempt-ii
64 was definitely one of, if not the, best game in the mario series. I loved it to death, and recently finished it 100% (120 stars )

I cant contribute, but I'd be glad to hear some songs. Any generic rock or metal would fit me nicely.
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Quote by jetfuel495
I can't find a midi of the haunted house theme, so I'm screwed. I have nothing to work with unless I use samples.

Which I know nothing about.

Ask Rev. He actually knows how to make beats and shit from them, whereas I just use individual hits for drums and sound effects.

I don't know why I can't do it, really.
Herro.

I'm probably going to look through some Mario 64 songs later, pick one out from the litter. Probably the Snow Mountain one, considering I loved that song.

If only I knew the name...