So while i was jamming with my friend that plays drums my peavey was muddy and tubey (not bad but not what i want) and not very distinct. I went out to have a cigarette and while i was out he plugged my bass into his crate 15w guitar amp, and what i heard was friggin sweet. it was very similar to jason newsteds justice tone but with more high end zing and more clank. we tried it with drums and the bass was more distinct and audible. any idea how i can get this tone on a bass amp?

http://youtu.be/n21MxTY5Ijk
Quote by Bass First
Rump, a P-bass delivers a rump in the sound such that, similar to the rump on an African American woman, it is the highlight of the tone.
lots of highs and mids. for smaller amps, roll off the bass so you can turn it up louder without distorting the speaker. just mess with your amp

oh and +1 on the rogues. i have a 30w bass amp from over ten years ago and its still working fine.
Quote by Casketcreep
People seem to be under the impression that all bass tones can be aquired with a 3-way parametric E.Q.

Jason has ALOT of effects processing going on.

This, I'm pretty sure he uses at least some kind of distortion. He also plays with a pick which makes a noticeable difference on tone.
Professional lurker since 2009.
I have a simmilar tone on bass. I play really agressivly(fingerstyle) with light strings. I use rotos.

For Eq I have:
Bass-4
Low Mid-2
High Mid-9
Trebble-7

Edit:
At Casketcreep

I find the biggest difference in tone comes from the fingers. Not amps, EQs or effects. I can go from a smooth walking bassline to a Cannibal Corpse-esque metal tone without changing anything electronicly.
Last edited by corrda00 at Aug 7, 2011,
just roll off some low end, boost mids and treble, play aggressively with a pick. the And Justice album is really poorly produced in my opinion (and quite a few others) with the bass nearly mixed out of the tracks. Newstead does use some overdrive, which can also emphasise the clank. try using a guitar distortion like a digitech bad monkey, that will suck some of your lows and give you some drive.
Quote by corrda00

I find the biggest difference in tone comes from the fingers. Not amps, EQs or effects. I can go from a smooth walking bassline to a Cannibal Corpse-esque metal tone without changing anything electronicly.

We aren't talking about fingerstyle though. Jason used a pick, and OP uses a pick so it's a moot point.
You can actually hear the bass tone on AJFA?

Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
You can actually hear the bass tone on AJFA?

When the video loaded, I was expecting 6 and a half minutes of silence, haha.

Just saying, but you probably won;t get this tone exact, because as Casketcreep said, it will have a lot of processing going on, like compression and far more than 3 bands of EQ.

To get an appoximation, if you have an already bright sounding bass, use a medium thickness pick close to the bridge and really dig in. Cut the bass, and boost mids and treble, and then, if you have one, use a small amount of overdrive/distortion.