I'm about to go into my second year of college and I was checking out apartments in town for the year. I went into the largest rental agency in town, which will remain nameless, to check out their undergrad housing availability. I rented from them last year and had no problems. My friend and I got the keys to look at a place, asked some questions, showed interest, and then went to see it. Overall, not a bad place and it was affordable.

My friend went back the next day to ask some more questions and to hopefully pay the deposit and they told us then that they won't rent that apartment to anyone that isn't a grad student or older, even though it was listed as available to undergrads.

We were angry since they didn't tell us earlier and we wasted time and money driving back and forth. If they had said they wouldn't rent the house to me because I'm some ethnicity they didn't care for, shit would have gone down; since I'm a white, straight, middle class male, I can't complain too much about discrimination.

tl;dr - Went to rent an apartment with a friend, they told us no when we went to sign the lease because we were in college, and now I'm bitching like only a first-worlder can.

I rented from them last year as a college student and their listings specifically state that undergraduates (me) are allowed to rent their houses, the one I looked at included.

Should I complain and see if I can end up renting that place still?
You guys have any experiences with this or any kind of housing troubles?
Last edited by D&DLover at Aug 7, 2011,
Nah. If they don't trust you, they don't trust you. It's a liability issue on their part.
To be honest college kids can be dumbasses. On a serious note, don't beg them to let you live there. If they initially don't want you there and you still want to live there, you're setting yourself up for future problems.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by D&DLover

Should I complain and see if I can end up renting that place still?
You guys have any experiences with this or any kind of housing troubles?

Is it helping yet?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
They probably assume you're going to be a noisy dickhead, like a lot of students are, and that you'll trash the place.

Here in The Kingdom we have a service called Unipol which is a rental agency for students. The registered landlords all know what to expect. Maybe you have some sort of equivalent in your area.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
To be honest college kids can be dumbasses. On a serious note, don't beg them to let you live there. If they initially don't want you there and you still want to live there, you're setting yourself up for future problems.

Yeah, I'm not planning on it, but I don't see how they can deny people housing if we pay a deposit and have rented before, especially when it was listed as undergrad housing.

College kids blow, but they still need to live somewhere
Quote by D&DLover
Yeah, I'm not planning on it, but I don't see how they can deny people housing if we pay a deposit and have rented before, especially when it was listed as undergrad housing.

College kids blow, but they still need to live somewhere

It's because they're racist against bronies.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
We (Three friends and I) found the perfect house and the landlord didn't let us have it because we're students.
There was already students living there when we viewed it but he said it was more of a family place. Bastard.

I was glad to see that he still hasn't rented it out, three months later.
Quote by Jackal58
Is it helping yet?

No, I just like to complain, and the pit was right here

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG

Must be it.

Quote by theogonia777
this. they probably assume you are some goofy college kids that are going to party and do stupid things. and i can't blame them. look at it from their point of view. if you are serious and good natured, the worst that can happen is they'll lose your business. but if you are a crazy college kid throwing wild parties, someone could get hurt, people could get arrested, the other tenants could be bothered, all of which they are responsible for. so it's safer for them to assume you're bad kids and turn you down.

I would totally agree if they didn't advertise undergraduate housing. That's like inviting poor college students to come live in your houses.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
To be honest college kids can be dumbasses.

this. they probably assume you are some goofy college kids that are going to party and do stupid things. and i can't blame them. look at it from their point of view. if you are serious and good natured, the worst that can happen is they'll lose your business. but if you are a crazy college kid throwing wild parties, someone could get hurt, people could get arrested, the other tenants could be bothered, all of which they are responsible for. so it's safer for them to assume you're bad kids and turn you down.

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG

i don't blame them for this either. obviously you have bad judgement based on that alone, TS.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Aug 7, 2011,
Yeah, that's not too uncommon. A few letting agencies around where I lived wouldn't rent to students.

Simply put, it's often more hassle than it's worth, having students in a house. The places can be left in a mess, things get broken, stuff is stolen, students generally have little regard for the property and as such walls get damaged by things being put up (screw holes/marks from blu-tack, that sort of thing). Students often end up spending all their money on going out, leaving none left to pay rent and bills, which is a major hassle for the agent as well.

I've seen doors get kicked in, windows broken, a door ripped off its hinges, hundreds of stains on walls/floors, unholy messes at the end of tenancies, furniture broken, all sorts...

It gets to be a lot of effort, come the end of a tenancy, to get the house back into proper nick.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Last edited by Joeval at Aug 7, 2011,
Quote by Joeval
Yeah, that's not too uncommon. A few letting agencies around where I lived wouldn't rent to students.

Simply put, it's often more hassle than it's worth, having students in a house. The places can be left in a mess, things get broken, stuff is stolen, students generally have little regard for the property and as such walls get damaged by things being put up (screw holes/marks from blu-tack, that sort of thing).

It gets to be a lot of effort, come the end of a tenancy, to get the house back into proper nick.

For sure. I'm going to edit my tl;dr to include this:

I rented from them last year as a college student and their listings specifically state that undergraduates (me) are allowed to rent their houses, the one I looked at included.

Quote by Jackal58

Nice. Reading, but I don't see age anywhere. Looks like I might be out of luck
Quote by D&DLover
For sure. I'm going to edit my tl;dr to include this:

Nice. Reading, but I don't see age anywhere. Looks like I might be out of luck

I thought you were in college.
http://www.dol.gov/oasam/regs/statutes/age_act.htm
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by D&DLover
Ah well that's pretty clear. They're both a little wordy, so I reread them to make sure I got it.

EDIT:

From http://crc.ohio.gov/cf_intro.htm
"Age is not a protected class for housing discrimination."
Damn.

If the people you are trying to rent from accept federal subsidies it is.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
If the people you are trying to rent from accept federal subsidies it is.

Hmm I'll have to look at it. I'm interested now regardless of my involvement in it.
Quote by D&DLover
Hmm I'll have to look at it. I'm interested now regardless of my involvement in it.

They'll claim that it's not your age they care about, but your status as a student. Teyll say that no matter how old you are, you can't rent that apartment as an undergraduate, but you can as a grad student.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by fearofthemark
They'll claim that it's not your age they care about, but your status as a student. Teyll say that no matter how old you are, you can't rent that apartment as an undergraduate, but you can as a grad student.

Yeah probably. But now I just want to know. I've already looked at other places, but I'm interested.
Quote by D&DLover
Yeah probably. But now I just want to know. I've already looked at other places, but I'm interested.

Good luck. At least make them pay for the gas because their website was misleading.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by fearofthemark
Good luck. At least make them pay for the gas because their website was misleading.

Thanks! They were also misleading in person when they told me I could rent it but then I couldn't the next day