Hey, I have a quick question about transcribing songs...

Is it "cheating" if you slow down faster sections of the song to help you understand what is being played? Some dude where I take music lessons said that it is cheating if you do.
no its not cheating
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
dont be silly, it makes it soooooooooo much easier.

it's cheating much in the same way of slowing down songs to understand the lyrics.

not at all.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by Acoustic FX
Is it "cheating" if you slow down faster sections of the song to help you understand what is being played? Some dude where I take music lessons said that it is cheating if you do.

not if you're starting out.

once your ear is trained well enough, you won't need to. but it takes a lot of time and effort to get to that point, so why drive yourself nuts? i say slow it down.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
yea i'd agree with the above. the fine line is whether you're starting out or whether you're a seasoned guitarist.

once you've gained the experience, it's better to try to recognise the faster sections as have a general idea of what's going on without having to slow it down.

but if you're learning about it, dont bother being a hero. slow it down, and get to know everything about it now. it'll set you up better in the long run
Well, I wouldn't call it cheating but, If someone drives an an Automatic car instead of a Manual, It kinda shows how much skill you have.

I'd still learn to transcribe without slowing it down, just to make yourself a better player in general, don't always depend on it.
So everytime you take a Bus instead of Walking thats cheating too?
OMG CHEATER.

Of course not.
Just makes it easier..

OMG HIS PLAYING POWERCHORDS ON THE OPEN STRINGS IN DROPS D TUNINGS?
OMG CHEATER.
Its abit like that....
METAL!
I wouldn't consider that cheating. After a while though you'll find that you have to slow down songs less and less to figure it out.
It's not cheating at all.

As you do more transcribing you'll be able to transcribe at faster tempos (and you'll be able to remember whole musical phrases rather than pausing the music so you can write one at a time). But that all takes practice.

It's awesome that you're transcribing at all (so many guitarists never bother). So by all means, slow it down

Good luck,

Steve
Quote by StevePigott
It's not cheating at all.

As you do more transcribing you'll be able to transcribe at faster tempos (and you'll be able to remember whole musical phrases rather than pausing the music so you can write one at a time). But that all takes practice.

It's awesome that you're transcribing at all (so many guitarists never bother). So by all means, slow it down

Good luck,

Steve

QFT.

When you become good at transcribing you won't really need to slow songs down anymore unless they're something like 16ths at 200bpm. For learning transcribing slowing stuff down is a great way of learning to hear phrases.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Quote by MikeDodge
No it's not, but for some reason using tab is. Never figured that out.

using tab for transcribing isn't cheating?
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
There is no such thing as cheating in music there's only a better method. What a ridiculous thing for that person to say.

An example;

If you were being paid to transcribe something for a magazine and you couldn't work out the part without slowing it down, you're going to slow it down right ? Otherwise you don't get paid. The magazine aren't going care as long as it's correct.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't question anyone's methods for working out tunes given that they were correct in the end - whatever works for you is best.

The only scenario I could think of where you would be ''cheating'' would be if you gave in too soon and used a tab. But that would be cheating yourself now wouldn't it