Quote by darthluke1
Or just ****ing hold on to the pick! Dunlop Tortex are the best for grip

This. I used Tortex before I ordered my custom ones and they're made out of the same material.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
I use ultex
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Dunlop makes regular 1mm or less sized picks with grip already on them. That's what I used before the stubby. Back when I used the tortex picks, I was always dropping them. Clumsy people like me can use some extra grip. I'll never do the duct tape thing though.
i use my fingers, notably the back (nail side) of my middle finger for downstrokes and my thumb nail for upstrokes... therefore rendering the possibility of dropping a plectrum null and void.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by Dempsey68
i use my fingers, notably the back (nail side) of my middle finger for downstrokes and my thumb nail for upstrokes... therefore rendering the possibility of dropping a plectrum null and void.

Burn the witch!
Quote by Dempsey68

You can't play a guitar as loud or as clear that way. I play without a pick quite a lot, when I do acoustic stuff, but on electric? No way. I need the pick.

I used to drop it all the time. I remember getting into this phase where I'd pre emptively readjust my grip on it like every 10 seconds. I kept buying new picks, at random, and realised the reason it was always dropping was because it was too thin, made of some shiny ass material, and came in a pack of like 50.

Get the right pick, get a bunch of spares, and you'll get used to it
I use Jazz III picks, very rarely drop them and if I do it's because I'm a clumsy oaf, and not because they pick has no grip.
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Good grammar is like sex. It feels good.
Just do what Johnny Winter does - a thumb pick that he sometimes uses as such and at other times (on strings 4-6 it appears) grips with his index finger as well like a conventional pick. You can modify thumb picks and even graft your favorite regular pick onto it. I have seen several blues players do that. You could play it on all strings with the same grip (not as a thumb pick) and you would never drop it again.
Various Strats
PRS SC245 (2007)
Fessenden SD-10 pedal steel
Koch Studiotone XL
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25+
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Quote by voodoochild23
You can't play a guitar as loud or as clear that way.

i can and do. seriously.

i have no idea how i manage it either, it's just something i've always done. it just kind of comes natural to me and it's how i play.

it might be that i turn my amp up a little higher than it would be should i use a pick, or the way i do it, it's just something as i say, i've always done, so it's 100% natural for me.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Jazz III Carbon Fibres have the best grip I've ever played with, and last for ages too :P
I just use a Dunlop Tortex Heavy Gauge if I drop it I grab one off whatever is beside me, because I plan for those types of things you know.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Well; if the pick you use is large enough, you could put a spot of rubber cement on it and this will adhere it to your fingers without tearing the flesh from them when you peel it off later.

As a notorious pick-dropper, I share your frustration. You're probably going to have to use a fat pick. As some have suggested, Dunlop Big Stubby Picks are a fine choice. I use the dark purple ones and they're tick enough that I can usually hang on.

You might also want to examine how you hold the pick. Some of the newer guitar DVDs are (finally!) starting to address how one holds a pick so as to achieve maximum speed and effect. Apparently Michael Angelo Batio goes into great detail on the subject in his Speed Kills DVDs.

You could always get a V-Pick. They're as thick as an ashtray, so you're not likely to drop it.

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by Tom-Huzzah
Jazz III Carbon Fibres have the best grip I've ever played with, and last for ages too :P

He ain't jokin', I've had three Jazz III pickups on my desk for the past year and I pick one up at random every time I play. I play between one and five hours a day, every day, and not a single one of them is near to being worn out.
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Good grammar is like sex. It feels good.
Quote by FatalGear41
Apparently Michael Angelo Batio goes into great detail on the subject in his Speed Kills DVDs.

I'm going to have to check that out.
There's stuff you can get called 'gorilla snot' that stops the pick sliding. I tried it out for a bit but stopped because it felt weird not to be able to move the pick much.

With enough practice, the pick eventually stops sliding altogether. Don't know why exactly but it happens.
Originally posted by raygreendaystud
your a fag, listen to real music like green day, you moron