Page 1 of 2
Of anti-protons! While it's not as visually cool as what Saturn has going for it, this is still an important development, even if we can't technically "see" the ring with our primitive Earthling eyes.

According to New Scientist, this anti-proton ring joins the previously discovered positron cloud that's also circling the Earth like an invisible shield. Ironically, the anti-protons are 2,000 times more massive than their positron counterparts, but were discovered second. Both are trapped in a donut-like ring called the Van Allen radiation belt that's held in place by the planet's magnetic field.

In the distant future, a spacecraft designed to use anti-protons (or other types of antimatter) as a fuel source could tap into this ring to top off its tanks and head out into the void, said Alessandro Bruno, a member of the University of Rome Tor Vergata team that confirmed the anti-proton area's existence. I'm really looking forward to that not happening in my lifetime!

http://gizmodo.com/5828485/the-earth-has-a-ring
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21128245.500-antiproton-ring-found-around-earth.html

Sick.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

The universe does like us!
I walk the line between fantasy and reality. One is more fun, the other is where the food is.
Quote by genghisgandhi
I already knew this.

Cool.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

According to New Scientist, this anti-proton ring joins the previously discovered positron cloud that's also circling the Earth like an invisible shield. Ironically, the anti-protons are 2,000 times more massive than their positron counterparts, but were discovered second. Both are trapped in a donut-like ring called the Van Allen radiation belt that's held in place by the planet's magnetic field.

I read that as Van Halen
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

- Berthold Auerbach

Quote by jbridge90
Wow, being surrounded by all of these humourless, pussy-whipped virgins is starting to make me sick.

Check out my band!
makes me laugh, we discover something new about the planet earth and the first thing to be mentioned is using it as a fuel source. now maybe well be able to leave earth after weve raped all of its resources and spread our depletion out into space!!
Quote by genghisgandhi
er than you.

ng children
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Quote by sashki
How do the anti-protons not collide with spacecraft and orbital junk?

They do, but our ozone layer and clouds and everything don't let us see the explosions normally. When we see fireworks, the rocket is just temporarily destroying the atmosphere, so we see the pretty antimatter explosions high above our heads
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Quote by sashki

because they are elementary particles, a fraction of the size of an atom
Quote by sashki

Thats like asking why UV light doesn't collide with us.
I walk the line between fantasy and reality. One is more fun, the other is where the food is.
We should still blow up the moon tho.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by Funk-E-Munk
because they are elementary particles, a fraction of the size of an atom

Elementary particles still collide with matter. I assume that they are evenly distributed throughout this ring and in constant motion around the earth, so if a spacecraft passes through this ring then a collision is likely.
Is it just probability that prevents a reaction from occuring? Are they repelled by the gravity of matter? Or by the weak nuclear force? I apologise for being an idiot, but I just don't get it.
Quote by Cap'n Braid
Thats like asking why UV light doesn't collide with us.

But UV light does collide with us.

I'm confused now.
Quote by sashki

But UV light does collide with us.

I'm confused now.

They're both collisions, but on the scale that they happen and have effects they don't register to the unaided human senses.

Except for sunburn, and maybe there would be similar effects for matter passing repeatedly through the proton belt.
Quote by sashki
Elementary particles still collide with matter. I assume that they are evenly distributed throughout this ring and in constant motion around the earth, so if a spacecraft passes through this ring then a collision is likely.
Is it just probability that prevents a reaction from occuring? Are they repelled by the gravity of matter? Or by the weak nuclear force? I apologise for being an idiot, but I just don't get it.

the spacecraft wouldn't consists of any positrons so it wouldn't annihilate. it's the same as saying UV colliding with us because waves can act as particles but the effects of them being particles when they collide with us are negligible!
Quote by Burgery

Yeah. The moon's a real douchebag

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Quote by CoreysMonster
wait wait wait... there's an anti-proton ring right above our heads?

What?!

I think that all depends on where you're standing...
The earth also has Trojan asteroids orbitting our lagrangian points. Our planet is like super bitchin'.
Quote by Burgery

I agree, the moon is starting to piss me off
PARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTY
Quote by guitarxo
^I wish something like that existed, actually.

http://www.sciforums.com/
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Quote by guitarxo
thank you!
you are my favorite UGer atm

Amazing how far google "science forum" can get you
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Page 1 of 2