Hi all, some may remember last weeks thread on Gibson Trad les paul or Tokai LS90 or LS105.....Well i found this 2nd hand Gibson that thickles my fancy so looking for your opinion(is it legit) and more importantly advive on what to look out for when buying 2nd hand as I have relativly little experience with high end guitar buying.

http://www.adverts.ie/guitar-bass/gibson-les-paul-traditional/644618

I have him down to about 1200Euro

Thanks!!
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
06 Fender Mex Strat - SDJb Jr, duckbucker, lil 59
Floor
Cry Baby 95Q-> Digitech Whammy -> DD3 -> MXR Micro Amp-> TU 2
Loop
Holy Grail ->Boss Rc20 Loop Station
Amp
Laney GH50 with Zilla Fatboy 2x12 (celestion g12-65)
Im waiting on him to send me the serial no to check it out but is there anything else to be wary of?
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
Floor
Loop
Amp
it looks legit to me. i don't see any of the usual signs of a fake there. nibs are on the fret ends, the horn looks correct etc.

check the neck for any signs of a repair to the headstock behind the nut on the back of the neck. that's the usual break spot, but it could happen anywhere on the neck really. repaired neck guitars play fine if fixed correctly but the value takes a big hit. also since it's fairly new, there should be a gibson check list card with the serial number matching the guitar as well as the gibson owners manual. (not critical or a end all but the check list helps confirm legitimacy).

while it looks fairly new, check for any fret wear (2-6th fret usually see the most wear). look down the neck as if sighting a rifle to see if the neck is straight and not twisted. (very rare but it can happen) etc.

from there if it plays nice and sounds good, i really don't see anything that shouts out.

damn nice top and finish on that one, purty paul right there.
Quote by gregs1020
it looks legit to me. i don't see any of the usual signs of a fake there. nibs are on the fret ends, the horn looks correct etc.

check the neck for any signs of a repair to the headstock behind the nut on the back of the neck. that's the usual break spot, but it could happen anywhere on the neck really. repaired neck guitars play fine if fixed correctly but the value takes a big hit. also since it's fairly new, there should be a gibson check list card with the serial number matching the guitar as well as the gibson owners manual. (not critical or a end all but the check list helps confirm legitimacy).

while it looks fairly new, check for any fret wear (2-6th fret usually see the most wear). look down the neck as if sighting a rifle to see if the neck is straight and not twisted. (very rare but it can happen) etc.

from there if it plays nice and sounds good, i really don't see anything that shouts out.

damn nice top and finish on that one, purty paul right there.

Thanks greg, should the back have a more natural finish or is it down to the makers discretion what way they finish the back to suit each guitar? I asked for a few more photos and the serial number before I drive 2hours to see it
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
Floor
Loop
Amp
they made plenty of black backs, that wouldn't throw me at all. that's a desert burst finish iirc, and yea, i've only seen those with black backs on a trad. (actually that's the only back i've seen on a desert burst, but they may have done some brown backs).

everything i see there screams legit to me.

totally worth the drive. good luck with it, looks damn nice.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 8, 2011,
Quote by gregs1020
they made plenty of black backs, that wouldn't throw me at all. that's a desert burst finish iirc, and yea, i've only seen those with black backs on a trad. (actually that's the only back i've seen on a desert burst, but they may have done some brown backs).

everything i see there screams legit to me.

totally worth the drive. good luck with it, looks damn nice.

Thanks greg, sound advice as usual
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
Floor
Loop
Amp
i'm with greg- i don't see anything which is obviously fake there, but as i said in your pm, I'm not too well up on gibsons, so don't quote me on it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?