Is it possible to trigger a part of a drum set (particularly the kick and snare) with just a trigger, an interface, a plug-in (EZdrummer), and the recording software? For instance, I want use the ddrum red shot bass trigger and connect that to my TASCAM US-1800 so that I may trigger an EZdrummer sample of a kick-drum instead of the analog sound of it.

Trigger ----> Interface ----> Computer ----> Software = ???

Will it even work or will I need to get something like an Alesis I/O unit to get to trigger the drum?

I'm using garageband btw. It's the program I'm most familiar with, although, if you happen to know how accomplish this in cubase, I have that as well.

Thanks for your help
You're gonna need the Trigger I/O by the looks of things.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
What exactly are you planning to use it for also? Live or just some home recording stuff?
Erm... it depends. What do you want this for? To record? Yeah, it'll work fine as all the trigger does is create little pops/clicks for a program to read as transients and trigger a sample - it's still a type of microphone (transducer microphones, that are dirt cheap - 10 for a few $ on eBay - and easy to stick between two pieces of moongel, solder the two cables to a jack and create your own trigger with for like $5 a trigger).

As for use live - too much latency in that sort of setup, not to mention the potential issues of having a whole computer setup on stage next to your drumkit, and lots of parts that could fail at any time and ruin your performance (but ultimately, the latency would be too bad as you'd hear the live kick as a separate kick before the triggered one).

Edit: Ninja!!
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Aug 7, 2011,
Quote by Ascendant
What exactly are you planning to use it for also? Live or just some home recording stuff?

Home recording for the most part. I wanted to try to see if this set-up would work live, but if latency would be an issue I most definitely would not want that.

Speaking if which, if latency is going to be an issue live, wouldn't that mean it could possibly be an issue during recording?

And also, what kind of I/O's are out there? I know about the Alesis, but if there's a cheaper one that's good, I'm all about more bang for my buck. I'm just a guitarist, so I know nothing about drums lol
Quote by 3rdActguitarist
Home recording for the most part. I wanted to try to see if this set-up would work live, but if latency would be an issue I most definitely would not want that.

Speaking if which, if latency is going to be an issue live, wouldn't that mean it could possibly be an issue during recording?

But you don't have to monitor the trigger during recording anyway, as you are still able to play the drums without hearing the kick quite so much I presume (as you 'feel' when you hit it).

And also, what kind of I/O's are out there? I know about the Alesis, but if there's a cheaper one that's good, I'm all about more bang for my buck. I'm just a guitarist, so I know nothing about drums lol

That is one area I know very little about so I won't even try to help, other than just google 'drum trigger interface' or 'live drum triggering hardware' etc. until you find a few more products to research further on.

Oh, and if you're really 'bang for the buck' you could save some cash on the triggers themselves if it's only an experiment, by buying some transducer pickups (they're small ceramic circles with a metal ring around them, with a wire hooked up to each) that you can then solder to a standard jack, and for protection/placement simply sandwich between some ROTM Moongel and you're sorted. Just attach the jack itself to the side of the drum with some gaffa tape to support the cable and prevent it pulling the pickup loose.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Aug 7, 2011,
The red shots have an XLR out on them. Just plug a cable into that, and straight into your interface. Then record the track. Put in a replacement plugin like drumagog or trigger on the track and you're done. Simple as that.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
The red shots have an XLR out on them. Just plug a cable into that, and straight into your interface. Then record the track. Put in a replacement plugin like drumagog or trigger on the track and you're done. Simple as that.

Exactly.

Though since you mentioned you might like to use it live as well, the drum module would be much preferable. You'll also be able to connect the module to your interface via the MIDI out and hear your kick sound through the headphones while you play.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com