Page 1 of 2
So, a few weeks ago I decided that I should go out and live by myself. I actually managed to find a nice place, it's just a room and a bathroom, but it's ok for me. I've got coffee, food, some fruits, beer, coke, cigarettes, my computer, my guitar... It's also in the same city I work at, wich allows me to go and walk for a few minutes everyday. Everything should be all right, BUT...

Damn it, I'm not sure if I can deal with the loneliness here. My girlfriend and I broke up a few weeks ago, and all my friends are still living in the other town. It's Sunday and I've just been alone for three hours, but time seems to have stopped. I'm literally sitting here looking at the walls and thinking of how stupid this choice was. This ain't exactly the "freedom" I was looking for. It's sad.

So Pit, for those who live/have lived all by themselves, what are some good tips to keep your mind away from negative toughts?
Seamonkey has my money!

Quote by shattamakar
My dog came into my room while I was fapping.
I couldn't look Wolfie in the eye for a week.
welcome to the reality of being a teen who wants to live alone without their parents
Quote by Thrill-house
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.

Quote by Dopemgs

P.S: You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome

Quote by PsiGuy60
PS. To Conor:
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.
[/desperateattempttogetsigged]
Take this opportunity to meet new people. There has to be plenty to do that would be fun and keep you from feeling lonely. Just get out there and explore the world man.
Pittsburgh Penguins: 46-22-6
Well, living/being alone is not for everybody, that's for sure. I know some people who get pretty depressed being alone a lot. My advice would be to find a room mate and move into a bigger place since you will be splitting the rent. Just try to make sure they have a similar schedule to you, so that you actually have somebody around and they are not going to bed just as you are waking up.
I live alone and it rules, I don't know if I could go back to room mates, or even shared walls again unless it was absolutely necessary. i have a cat and a dog and my guitar to keep me company. I also live in the woods, so not only am I alone, but also isolated, I don't even get cell service.
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
Quote by ecvMatt
I live alone and it rules, I don't know if I could go back to room mates, or even shared walls again unless it was absolutely necessary. i have a cat and a dog and my guitar to keep me company. I also live in the woods, so not only am I alone, but also isolated, I don't even get cell service.

This is my ideal living scenario.
Quote by K Reyn
I live by myself and it is awesome.

And what is it that you do to make it awesome?

Edit:

To badguitarist13 and Scissortooth: thanks for the nice tips
Seamonkey has my money!

Quote by shattamakar
Last edited by YourMomToTheMaX at Aug 7, 2011,
I find it depressing just being at home alone when my parents go away for a free days. There's only so many wanks you can have in an empty house before the loneliness sets in.

At uni living in shared accommodation and such a social space was brilliant, I loved it.

We all need some privacy though, i couldn't manage a shared room too I don't think.
Make new friends
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Quote by YourMomToTheMaX
And what is it that you do to make it awesome?

Play guitar whenever I want, I only have to clean up after myself which is awesome, walk around naked, etc. etc. There are a lot of advantages to living alone, but I can understand that it is not for everyone.
I'm more of a solitary person in that I would most often rather be alone than with a large amount of people - that's not to say I'm not social, I just keep close friends.

I can't wait to be on my own when I go off to university. I'll probably find a roommate to ease the pain of paying rent but I would preferably be alone.

That being said, certain people prefer certain things, I would guess you are more social than I and would rather have people around - go walk around the new town you are in and familiarize yourself with it, check out clubs bars and stuff, meet some new people.

I find even if I go for a quick walk when I get bored works well and refreshes me if that makes sense.

Regardless, walking around naked is the best shit ever - theres a bonus to being alone
[Insert something clever here]
Work hard I guess. Try and spend as much time out as possible, go to bars and stuff, start about ten new hobbies. I don't envy you man.
Hahahahahahahahahah hahahaha har har har
Naked Sundays dude.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
why dont u have some friends over on the weekend? nothin beats some buddies road trippin to your place then getting wasted for a few days
Quote by chud123
why dont u have some friends over on the weekend? nothin beats some buddies road trippin to your place then getting wasted for a few days

nothin'cept playing video games alone eating raw vegetables after a 10k run
I technically live by myself, but somebody's always over.

So I enjoy my alone time.

As far as keeping your mind off things, work out or something.
Quote by chud123

Yeah, I actually brought a few friends over last night and it was really cool. They're all in other cities now, tough, and most of them don't drive.
Seamonkey has my money!

Quote by shattamakar
I lived by myself until I got married at age 40. The key is maintaining activities that are social. Have some friends with common interests. Otherwise, your guitar and music will do nicely. That's what i found.

Once, when I had just moved to Montreal, and didn't know anyone, I was walking home with a 6-pack when I was asked by a panhandler if I had any change. I said no, but asked him if he wanted a beer. We spent the next hour sitting on a bench on the side of Ste Catherine St. drinking beer and talking about stuff. He was actually a really interesting person with quite a lot of life experience. The message is; don't be afraid to talk to people you don't know when you're out of your comfort zone. The loneliness will pass.
Various Strats
PRS SC245 (2007)
Fessenden SD-10 pedal steel
Koch Studiotone XL
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25+
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Quote by Vulcan
I lived by myself until I got married at age 40. The key is maintaining activities that are social. Have some friends with common interests. Otherwise, your guitar and music will do nicely. That's what i found.

Once, when I had just moved to Montreal, and didn't know anyone, I was walking home with a 6-pack when I was asked by a panhandler if I had any change. I said no, but asked him if he wanted a beer. We spent the next hour sitting on a bench on the side of Ste Catherine St. drinking beer and talking about stuff. He was actually a really interesting person with quite a lot of life experience. The message is; don't be afraid to talk to people you don't know when you're out of your comfort zone. The loneliness will pass.

Thanks a lot, that really sounds like a wise advice.
Seamonkey has my money!

Quote by shattamakar
Quote by Vulcan

Why the fuck did you get married at 40?????
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
Why the fuck did you get married at 40?????

My wife is 20yrs younger than I am.
Various Strats
PRS SC245 (2007)
Koch Studiotone XL
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Find a roommate?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by Vulcan
My wife is 20yrs younger than I am.

Don't be evasive.
Or a show off. er
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Try to meet new people, go to local places, get a girlfriend, create a schedule for yourself to keep downtime to a minimum, etc. etc.
Quote by Jackal58
Don't be evasive.
Or a show off. er

Well, I had a successful career after university, but quit in my early 30s, and did a bit of a nomadic thing for several years, eventually spending several seasons as a ski instructor in Whistler. That type of lifestyle doesn't exactly lend itself to a married life, or even a tied-down one. I drifted back to my old career (they came looking for me) and was happily single. Then I met my wife. As relaxed I was with the single life, I decided it was time. I guess I have always been somewhat slow to grow up. I got asked for ID at the liquor store a few months ago, so I don't really look my 49 years, or feel it.
Various Strats
PRS SC245 (2007)
Koch Studiotone XL
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Quote by Vulcan
Well, I had a successful career after university, but quit in my early 30s, and did a bit of a nomadic thing for several years, eventually spending several seasons as a ski instructor in Whistler. That type of lifestyle doesn't exactly lend itself to a married life, or even a tied-down one. I drifted back to my old career (they came looking for me) and was happily single. Then I met my wife. As relaxed I was with the single life, I decided it was time. I guess I have always been somewhat slow to grow up. I got asked for ID at the liquor store a few months ago, so I don't really look my 49 years, or feel it.

I don't look like I'm 53 either. More like 70. But that's ok 'cause I still look younger than I feel.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
You're 49 and got ID'd at a liquor store???

Holy shit man, what's your secret?

Clean living and good genetics. Scratch the first part. My mother didn't go grey until she was over 70. I look like a youthful Brian Adams, with better skin.
Various Strats
PRS SC245 (2007)
Koch Studiotone XL
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Quote by Jackal58
I don't look like I'm 53 either. More like 70. But that's ok 'cause I still look younger than I feel.

Keep living life to the max. There is no timetable that one must follow.
Various Strats
PRS SC245 (2007)
Koch Studiotone XL
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
I've been thinking about moving out to live by myself and now that I think about it, it could probably get pretty depressing.
Quote by Vulcan
Keep living life to the max. There is no timetable that one must follow.

exactly, not everyone has to die
Quote by mizxou
exactly, not everyone has to die

Well, we all need to die - just not as slowly as society would have you believe, and not as feebly.
Various Strats
PRS SC245 (2007)
Koch Studiotone XL
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Page 1 of 2