hey guys, im going to start on a guitar build with my dad, going to be our first

i know nothing about wood, he knows everything

he knows nothing about guitars, (dont want to say i know everything, but i know whats relevent.)

what i am shooting for is to build most probably a 7 string (maybe 6 idk).

i am looking for a type of wood that has an amazing grain pattern and color. i want a beautiful natural finish to arise from the wood and also not to lite colored.

as far as tonal characteristics, since i will dedicate this guitar to lower tunings (hence 7 string) i want a dark tone out of it. not to bright.

also i might as well ask for a good neck wood, strong and also to have a good look to it when stained on a natural finish (or not stained if it already looks good).

as for fingerboard wood, i fell in love with the bocate wood in Jmorg171820's 7 string Djent machine build from earlier this week. so, with all that said,
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
http://www.jemsite.com/jem/wood.htm

imo. nice figure depends on the piece of wood itself.
do you want a cap on it? flamed/quilted/spalted maple for example

guitar neck woods. 1/4 sawn maple,mahogany are mostly used

hope the link clears some stuff up for you & help you with your selection.
I would say Mahogany (or Mahogany with maple top) for the body and maple for the neck and probably a rosewood or ebony fretboard.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by stonyman65
I would say Mahogany (or Mahogany with maple top) for the body and maple for the neck and probably a rosewood or ebony fretboard.

i wanted something more exotic, planning on spending a shiny penny.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by Dave8706
http://www.jemsite.com/jem/wood.htm

imo. nice figure depends on the piece of wood itself.
do you want a cap on it? flamed/quilted/spalted maple for example

guitar neck woods. 1/4 sawn maple,mahogany are mostly used

hope the link clears some stuff up for you & help you with your selection.

i want to stay away from having a top on it.
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Go for a swirl finish!!

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
zebrawood cap :]
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
I'd suggest redwood man, it is absolutely divine unfinished, and has a hell of a tone! Go have a look at some of it, they look realy nice!
If you don't want a top but want an exotic wood (but don't want to break the bank) you could try Korina, commonly called Black Limba.

Tonally similar to Mahogany but with more upper-midrange. You could do a laminated neck, probably maple and maybe some exotic stuff like bloodwood or purpleheart or wenge.

With more money a build like this is always cool. This is a solid Padauk body:

Last edited by Seref at Aug 7, 2011,
Quote by Seref
If you don't want a top but want an exotic wood (but don't want to break the bank) you could try Korina, commonly called Black Limba.

Tonally similar to Mahogany but with more upper-midrange. You could do a laminated neck, probably maple and maybe some exotic stuff like bloodwood or purpleheart or wenge.

With more money a build like this is always cool. This is a solid Padauk body:

that is absolutely beutiful and i would love to have a finish like that on my 7 string
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
you can use maple for all, and not all maple is the same, u can get some really good results with maple
ø

*MISC CREW*

e-mail me

Originally Posted by OneOfaKind
ø

Quote by EspTro
that is absolutely beutiful and i would love to have a finish like that on my 7 string

That's padauk, with a tung-oil finish. No color or staining added, just wood and some oil.
where can i buy padouk? looked around a bit and cant find it o.0
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
also, if anyone can tell me the wood of this ibanez, cause this looks pretty cool.

http://www.birdlandmusic.net/files/d_2496.jpg
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
where can i buy padouk? looked around a bit and cant find it o.0

ebay would be your best bet. Most lumber suppliers probably wouldn't carry padauk in anything thicker than 4/4 (~1 inch) so you'll need to look on ebay for thicker.

Will also probably have to make a two-piece body as I doubt someone has a large enough board for a one-piece for sale.