So i wanted to paint the fretboard of my ibanez black. How would i do that cuz ive heard that its a lot different from painting the body. Do i need to put a layer of clear coat on after? Help would be greatly appreciated.
The fretboard? Not the neck?

Bad idea. That paint will chip whenever you bend a string.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Well if I put a layer of polyurethane on over it that might help? Would i be better off staining it?
Yes, you can paint a fretboard if you hard-coat it after. I've seen people paint fretboards solid colors, never images and designs however.

You'll need more than a single layer of poly--the clearcoat must be solid and thick.
Quote by a7xb4d
So i wanted to paint the fretboard of my ibanez black. How would i do that cuz ive heard that its a lot different from painting the body. Do i need to put a layer of clear coat on after? Help would be greatly appreciated.
It depends if it's Maple or Rosewood.

Since it's an Ibanez, it's probably Rosewood. If so, use Fiebing's Leather Oil Dye (Black) available at most equestrian or leather shops or StewMac or eBay/online.

Yeah i was planning on a solid color what kind of paint would you recommend? Also i imagine this'll affect the sound somewhat.

EDIT: Nevermind, question answered

Oh, and thanks a lot guys I've got some intense plans for this guitar
Last edited by a7xb4d at Aug 7, 2011,