Hi, I'm going to buy a bass soon and I was wondering if there are any haggling tips and advice you could give me when I go to GC and Sam Ash.

I know Guitar Center had this big announcement about selling only at tag price but I heard people found a way to haggle down the price 10-20%.
Bass gear:
-Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass
-Fender Rumble 15 Amp

Guitar Gear:
-Agile AL-2000
-Boss Tu-3 Tuner -> Joyo Vintage Overdrive -> Joyo Vintage Ultimate Overdrive -> Ernie Ball MVP -> TC Nova Repeater
Go to a local music store instead. Usually the owners will cut you a deal, as long as your nice about it. Most of them would want you as a loyal customer, especially if there doing bad. I've never heard of haggling at a GC, most of the clerks are kind of dicks.
So they used to be able to move the price down by up to 20% but management was getting pissed that most of the sales guys would move down too easily so they took that ability away. Now it is only at ticket.

BUT, they also decided they would constantly have coupons available, up to 20% off. You can almost always find a coupon to get up to 20% off so it is silly to buy a guitar or bass at ticket. If you can't find a coupon or they are not doing a promotion, wait a week.

Stupid, I know, but that is retail management for you.

Source: One of my current co-workers worked for GC for 4 years, and just left about 2 months ago. I asked him all about it during lunch one day. This info should be correct, unless something big has changed in the last 2 months. I am not guaranteeing any of this info, but to the best of my understanding, this is the current practice at Guitar Center.
Quote by happytimeharry
ig·no·rant

1. Lacking education or knowledge.
2. Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge: an ignorant mistake.
3. Unaware or uninformed.

also see: elitist asshat
the only way you cna haggle is if the guitar you want has some damage or wear from being on the floor for along time. That is the only time i have heard of them lowering a price. I bought a bass amp and since the floor model was feeding back alot i had them go in the back and get me a brand new model.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
Quote by tomc2
Go to a local music store instead. Usually the owners will cut you a deal, as long as your nice about it. Most of them would want you as a loyal customer, especially if there doing bad. I've never heard of haggling at a GC, most of the clerks are kind of dicks.

I don't know any local music stores in my area (Tampa, Florida) :/
Bass gear:
-Fender Rumble 15 Amp

Guitar Gear:
-Agile AL-2000
-Boss Tu-3 Tuner -> Joyo Vintage Overdrive -> Joyo Vintage Ultimate Overdrive -> Ernie Ball MVP -> TC Nova Repeater
If something is a floor model there is a automatic 10% or 20% discount, I forget which. Its stated on there website in the fine print. Its somewhere in here http://gc.guitarcenter.com/financing/30_30.cfm

Ill give you some haggling tips though if you go to a different store. First off you have to be pushy with the salesguy. I usually talk fast tell them the price that I want to pay for it. If there kinda of thinking about it respond fast with do you want to make a sale or not. If they don't like your price that you name I will reason to a certain point but then tell them ill just go else where.

My first line when I ask for help from a salesman is "I am really interested in this amp/or bass and ill give you $600 for it out the door" Usually works. Hope I helped out.
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
I know about GC, does don banks sell squire or just fender?
And I just googled about and found Legends Guitar right next to the plaza gc's in
Bass gear:
-Fender Rumble 15 Amp

Guitar Gear:
-Agile AL-2000
Quote by The1bassist06
If something is a floor model there is a automatic 10% or 20% discount, I forget which. Its stated on there website in the fine print. Its somewhere in here http://gc.guitarcenter.com/financing/30_30.cfm

Ill give you some haggling tips though if you go to a different store. First off you have to be pushy with the salesguy. I usually talk fast tell them the price that I want to pay for it. If there kinda of thinking about it respond fast with do you want to make a sale or not. If they don't like your price that you name I will reason to a certain point but then tell them ill just go else where.

My first line when I ask for help from a salesman is "I am really interested in this amp/or bass and ill give you $600 for it out the door" Usually works. Hope I helped out.

Ah thanks for the advice... I have like 0 knowledge when it comes to haggling
Bass gear:
-Fender Rumble 15 Amp

Guitar Gear:
-Agile AL-2000
Quote by itzkpanda
Ah thanks for the advice... I have like 0 knowledge when it comes to haggling

One thing you have to make sure that your firm and pushy. Its basically just being like a salesman itself lol. And act like your not afraid to leave and go else where to buy your stuff.
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
Quote by The1bassist06
One thing you have to make sure that your firm and pushy. Its basically just being like a salesman itself lol. And act like your not afraid to leave and go else where to buy your stuff.

Alright... but would this work if the buyer (me) is a teenager?..
Bass gear:
-Fender Rumble 15 Amp

Guitar Gear:
-Agile AL-2000
Quote by itzkpanda
I know about GC, does don banks sell squire or just fender?
And I just googled about and found Legends Guitar right next to the plaza gc's in

They sell both I believe. Haven't been there in a while though.

I forgot about Legends... They're ok, but not extraordinary.
Quote by Wisthekiller
They sell both I believe. Haven't been there in a while though.

I forgot about Legends... They're ok, but not extraordinary.

Ah ok. Do you know if Legends sells basses? My sister says they dont but they're closed sunday and monday so i couldnt check.
Bass gear:
-Fender Rumble 15 Amp

Guitar Gear:
-Agile AL-2000
Quote by Wisthekiller
Last time I was there they did. That was about 6 months ago though.

Oh ok. Thanks for the help
Bass gear:
-Fender Rumble 15 Amp

Guitar Gear:
-Agile AL-2000