This isnt meant to be a flame guitarst who try to play bass thread. Just wonderin if you know any ppl who have done it and who do you think has done it the best.

Hansai from BG and Dio were both singers who did bass on the side.
Chuck S. was pretty solid on the early death albums. Same with Joel G from Toxic Holocaust.

Any other notable ones?
Well; I once heard about a singer/guitarist/pianist who got forced into playing bass because his band's bassist quit. Some guy named Paul McCartney. As I recall, he was pretty good

EDIT: I have read in a number of interviews Stanley Clarke claiming that he is a drummer first and a bassist second. It seems to have worked out for him, too.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Last edited by FatalGear41 at Aug 7, 2011,
Quote by corrda00
^
If thats how Stanley play his 2nd instrument imagine him on drums. Wow.

I know. It's really f@cking unfair, isn't it?
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
A drummer being good at bass ins't that far-fetched; I mean, the two are basically married to each other.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
I think Scott Reeder was a drummer first, he's a bloody immense bass player though.
John Paul Jones was a pianist / organ player originally
John Entwistle played the horn
Flea started as a trumpet player
Geezer as already mentioned

Just from the top of my head...
"When i've got the music
I've got a place to go"

Quote by watchingmefall
Goog luck killing everybody at VH1.

Member #37 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!
Quote by JustPhil
I think Scott Reeder was a drummer first, he's a bloody immense bass player though.

There's another guy called Scott Reeder who drums for Fu Manchu. I don't know if bass ist Scott Reeder played drums or not.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Noel Redding was a guitarist before he was asked to join up with Hendrix as a bass player.
Jesse Lacey of Brand New (way different genre than most the stuff yall are talking about ha) played bass to begin with, and played bass on the first Taking Back Sunday EP till he split and became the singer songwriter type. Glad he did, mans an amazing lyricist, his talent would be wasted be the bassist of TBS
Quote by gilly_90
There's another guy called Scott Reeder who drums for Fu Manchu. I don't know if bass ist Scott Reeder played drums or not.

Small world it seems considering how the two Scott's bands are quite close.
I can't find a source saying that Kyuss' Scott Reeder played drums first but I vaguely remember reading about it, he also played drums (and everything else) in his solo album.
Lemmy Kilmister only started playing bass in Motorhead, but he doesn't exactly play in a very bass-y approach.
Still love him/them
^ thats funny

Jack White plays bass on Beck's Guerro album for the song Go It Alone
and it sounds pretty dang sweet
Quote by anarkee
Noel Redding was a guitarist before he was asked to join up with Hendrix as a bass player.

And Jimi played bass on a lot of the early recordings.
CheapGuitarists.com - new site for the budget minded or beginner guitarist!

"He who hath pizza shall never die in vain" ~ Lord Cheesus Crust
Quote by shmbluh12
Lemmy Kilmister only started playing bass in Motorhead, but he doesn't exactly play in a very bass-y approach.
Still love him/them

He played bass in Hawkwind prior to that.
^ He did only start playing there though. I'm mostly drunk when I hear of stuff like that. Details get lost sometimes
Jim James, guitarist and singer from MMJ plays bass with Bright Eyes sometimes and in Monsters of Folk
Mic Todd (ex-Coheed, sad times) was a guitarist first, as was Greg MacPherson (InMe, Centiment). Dragonforce's Fred LeCerque is a guitarist and keyboardist, rather than a bassist. I'm pretty certain that Mark Hoppus and Pete Wetz only started playing bass when they joined their respective bands.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
Most people don't know that Ronnie James Dio used to play bass in Elf before he started strictly singing. Blitz Ellsworth of Overkill used to be a bassist as well. If I recall, Dragonforce's bass player used to be a guitarist... But i'm not sure
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
Quote by anarkee
Roger Waters is another example.

He's an example of a non-bassist bassist with beautiful tone, but that isn't really anything special otherwise. I mean, Gilmour played the fretless parts in Hey You and Pigs (And drums for Pink Floyd a bit, but that's another story).

How could I forget! Chris Wolstenholme, the bassist for Muse, was originally a drummer until Matt and Dom asked him to play bass in the band.
Last edited by edgeyyz at Aug 9, 2011,
I read somewhere Duff McKagan started on drums then moved to guitar before being in GnR as the bassist
Ignoring people's opinions since 1987
Last edited by Benny_W at Aug 10, 2011,
If I remember it right, Zakk Wylde did the bass himself on the first couple Black Label Society albums, I thought he did it pretty good.
And there's Brendon Small from Dethklok who has done the bass on the studio recordings. Pretty good, but it's pushed back pretty far in the mix.
Quote by edgeyyz
He's an example of a non-bassist bassist with beautiful tone, but that isn't really anything special otherwise. I mean, Gilmour played the fretless parts in Hey You and Pigs (And drums for Pink Floyd a bit, but that's another story).

How could I forget! Chris Wolstenholme, the bassist for Muse, was originally a drummer until Matt and Dom asked him to play bass in the band.

Roger may not be fantastically talented, but a lot of the earlier Floyd material, Piper through to Meddle, has some really cool improv stuff. Even after, he did record most of the bass parts from Dark Side onwards and even though they may not be difficult, they fit the songs perfectly. Great Gig in the Sky, for example. I think Roger Waters is the perfect example of a bassist who may be technically limited, but plays beautifully within those limitations.
IT can only help you become a better bassist by learning to play guitar. And the vice versa, understanding where bass fits in helps you become a better guitarist.

I know cause i started out on bass and now im playing guitar, learning more than one instrument makes you a better all around musician. I think its better to be a musician than a "bassist" or a "guitarist"

If i remember right, Jimmy Page was both a guitarist and a bassist so was John Paul Jones, who was arguably the more musically diversed of the two
Quote by Twist of fate
Why must the fat die young
^ I dont know about guitar but John Paul Jones also plays keys and mandolin.
Jimmy Page plays some mandolin as well
Quote by RJayZ
Roger may not be fantastically talented, but a lot of the earlier Floyd material, Piper through to Meddle, has some really cool improv stuff. Even after, he did record most of the bass parts from Dark Side onwards and even though they may not be difficult, they fit the songs perfectly. Great Gig in the Sky, for example. I think Roger Waters is the perfect example of a bassist who may be technically limited, but plays beautifully within those limitations.

I agree that he does a great job, I was just saying he's not as skilled as would be fitting for some of their music.
Quote by Natebegreat
Jesse Lacey of Brand New (way different genre than most the stuff yall are talking about ha) played bass to begin with, and played bass on the first Taking Back Sunday EP till he split and became the singer songwriter type. Glad he did, mans an amazing lyricist, his talent would be wasted be the bassist of TBS

Mike Lewis, the second guitarist for Lostprophets, started out on bass as well.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass