So I am moving to grad school and am leaving my peavey 6505 and mesa amp at home and was looking into pods for playing guitar

I think the podHD500 looks amazing and I like how I can connect it to the effects loop of my peavey amp when I return from school...but since I'll be away I'll need to plug it in to my laptop. Laptop speakers are pretty crap...and mine are especially pretty crap...would this make using the podHD useless?

I wouldnt mind just using headphones either...I just am not sure how much the PodHD relies on decent speakers for its sound?

Thanks if you can help out , I am very noobish with this stuff
the pod assumes flat response speakers, it should have enough emulation where it shouldn't need anything from the speakers.

edit: to technically, the pod would sound best over a flat response system (which is not computer speakers). i tend to get too much low end when using computer speakers in general. studio monitors would be ideal, but i think even crap computer monitors wouldn't kill the pod's tone.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Aug 7, 2011,
I think the hd500 sounds great and headphones will work fine.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by gumbilicious
the pod assumes flat response speakers, it should have enough emulation where it shouldn't need anything from the speakers.

so if i connect headphones into my laptop...the sound will be coming from the pod and not my crap laptop speakers? Is that what you mean? sorry

Also...I have a decent set of standalone speakers...if I wanted to play guitar for someone so they can hear what I am playing, how would I go about setting up the Pod to those speakers?
Do the speakers have an Xlr input?
Quote by kutless999
Do the speakers have an Xlr input?

they only have a simple standard headphone type jack...will this not work?
Well, you can use an aux cable to connect the hd to the speakers. Not sure how it will sound though...
the pod has a headphone jack itself
Reaching out to embrace the random,
Reaching out to embrace whatever may come.
lol ok I am really hopless with this so I just want to make sure then:

I dont even need my laptop to listen to the Pod through headphones? I can just hook my guitar into the Pod...then connect headphones to the Pod..and done?

And if I want to amplify the Pod so that other people in the room could hear...what kind of speakers should I be looking at or any other ideas on how to go about doing this?
Last edited by dvm25 at Aug 7, 2011,
Quote by dvm25
so if i connect headphones into my laptop...the sound will be coming from the pod and not my crap laptop speakers? Is that what you mean? sorry

ahh, you only have the speaker IN your laptop. that sucks, i use a cheap pair of altec lansings i got for 25 bucks on clearance.

see below for I/O

Quote by dvm25
Also...I have a decent set of standalone speakers...if I wanted to play guitar for someone so they can hear what I am playing, how would I go about setting up the Pod to those speakers?

the Pod has MANY options for hearing yourself play.

it has headphone outs right out the pedal. so you wouldn't even need your computer at all for using headphones, just plug it right in the pedal. you could also take the headphone outs and plug them directly into a pair of desktop computer speakers or a home stereo (anything you can plug an ipod into you could use for playback using the headphone outs).

it has unbalanced 1/4" outs, so technically you could throw that to a mixer or PA.

if you use your computer, by plugging in the pod into the computer via a USB, then the computer just uses this device as an external sound card (at least that is how most of these units work). at that point in time, whatever DAW software you use should be able to accept the POD as an input and you can use the software to tell it where to output the signal. you could route the signal through the computer speakers (or plug in headphones, which usually bypass the internal speakers) or route the signal back into the pod and you can use the headphone outs there.

-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
ahh, you only have the speaker IN your laptop. that sucks, i use a cheap pair of altec lansings i got for 25 bucks on clearance.

see below for I/O

the Pod has MANY options for hearing yourself play.

it has headphone outs right out the pedal. so you wouldn't even need your computer at all for using headphones, just plug it right in the pedal. you could also take the headphone outs and plug them directly into a pair of desktop computer speakers or a home stereo (anything you can plug an ipod into you could use for playback using the headphone outs).

it has unbalanced 1/4" outs, so technically you could throw that to a mixer or PA.

if you use your computer, by plugging in the pod into the computer via a USB, then the computer just uses this device as an external sound card (at least that is how most of these units work). at that point in time, whatever DAW software you use should be able to accept the POD as an input and you can use the software to tell it where to output the signal. you could route the signal through the computer speakers (or plug in headphones, which usually bypass the internal speakers) or route the signal back into the pod and you can use the headphone outs there.

Thankyou so much for that reply, really helped! I'll be using it mostly just with headphones and practicing (but love customizing effects and stuff) and ofcourse putting it through the effects loop of my peavey when I return home.

But just one thing to clarify about using external speakers to get the sound from the Pod...so anything with a USB port or jack that an Ipod connects to will get me the amplified sound from the POD? And it will sound good?

Thanks again so much
Yep, as long as it's a speaker, it will amplify the pod.
okay awesome!

Do you have any experience with the PODHD500 (or other models) in terms of how good they sound? Ive seen youtube videos and it sounds awesome but how would it sound just through headphones or some speakers...will the tone and effects still sound good and not that tinny/overly processed tone?
I have an rp355 and it sounds better in person than it does online. I really like the way the hd500 sounds
And yes, the tones from the hd500 will sound better than what you hear on YouTube.
Last edited by kutless999 at Aug 7, 2011,
Quote by dvm25
But just one thing to clarify about using external speakers to get the sound from the Pod...so anything with a USB port or jack that an Ipod connects to will get me the amplified sound from the POD?

the USB port is there to interface with a computer. like i mentioned earlier, this is usually so the computer can treat it as an external sound card (this means the computer can take an input signal from the device and send and output signal to it, this also means the external device has it own preamp and A/D converter)

i am also sure the USB jack is good for uploading and downloading data to the memory on the pod HD as well. so basically the USB jack is for interfacing with a computer or memory manipulation.

now the 1/8" jack.

the pod will send a line level analog audio signal through the 1/8" jack. this is very similar to an MP3 player's headphone out. so you can send that signal to something with a power amp and speakers and get an amplified sound.

Quote by dvm25
And it will sound good?

it'll sound something like this

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/gumbilicious/music/play733334

that was recorded through garageband (line-in, using their amp emulators and effects), so your pod HD should sound a bit better. but what you hear should be roughly the tone you'll get outta whatever your listening to it on.

-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
the USB port is there to interface with a computer. like i mentioned earlier, this is usually so the computer can treat it as an external sound card (this means the computer can take an input signal from the device and send and output signal to it, this also means the external device has it own preamp and A/D converter)

i am also sure the USB jack is good for uploading and downloading data to the memory on the pod HD as well. so basically the USB jack is for interfacing with a computer or memory manipulation.

now the 1/8" jack.

the pod will send a line level analog audio signal through the 1/8" jack. this is very similar to an MP3 player's headphone out. so you can send that signal to something with a power amp and speakers and get an amplified sound.

it'll sound something like this

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/gumbilicious/music/play733334

that was recorded through garageband (line-in, using their amp emulators and effects), so your pod HD should sound a bit better. but what you hear should be roughly the tone you'll get outta whatever your listening to it on.

Okay perfect! Thanks so much! are all of those done through garageband? They sound really good and did you write most of those? Some really nice ambient pieces!
Quote by dvm25
Okay perfect! Thanks so much! are all of those done through garageband?

that song was an experiment twofold

1) can i use garageband effectively for guitar tone

2) how many guitar tracks can i cram in a song and still make it sound alright.

it turned out the purposes served one another. the tones are actually a bit on the thin side when heard by themselves so layering them in particular ways filled out the mix and chunked up the guitar sound.

and yes, all those guitars were garageband. that pod HD should be better sounding.

Quote by dvm25
They sound really good and did you write most of those? Some really nice ambient pieces!

i think i wrote all but a few songs. 'black napkins' is a frank zappa song, 'maggot brains' is a funkadelic song, 'heartache' is... uh... killswitch engage?

i have well over 50 hours of recorded music on my computer. most of them being jams or track recorded concepts.

-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
that song was an experiment twofold

1) can i use garageband effectively for guitar tone

2) how many guitar tracks can i cram in a song and still make it sound alright.

it turned out the purposes served one another. the tones are actually a bit on the thin side when heard by themselves so layering them in particular ways filled out the mix and chunked up the guitar sound.

and yes, all those guitars were garageband. that pod HD should be better sounding.

i think i wrote all but a few songs. 'black napkins' is a frank zappa song, 'maggot brains' is a funkadelic song, 'heartache' is... uh... killswitch engage?

i have well over 50 hours of recorded music on my computer. most of them being jams or track recorded concepts.

Thats really awesome!

And brings me another question haha...does the Pod sound good with metal type riffing...(lots of low string chugging, etc)? Like will I be able to find good metal tones on this thing? I ask because I tried a really basic type pod thing once and it really could not handle metal type music well so I am just curious
I just checked out heartache on your profile...

Id be perfectly happy with getting a sound like that through headphones

Also I really like what you did with the intro to that song! O_O
Quote by dvm25
I just checked out heartache on your profile...

Id be perfectly happy with getting a sound like that through headphones

Also I really like what you did with the intro to that song! O_O

well... that was done on my orange OR50H with modified PPC212 and LPDC. only a couple of those tracks use modeling for the guitar tone.

most of those tracks use extensive real world setups. sorry to disappoint.

and yeah, their intro was boring. i felt like i was doing uninteresting stuff when i playing it. their solo was really stock too, so i changed that around quite a bit. and they don't use feedback, so i threw feedback tracks on it too.

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Aug 7, 2011,
Quote by gumbilicious
well... that was done on my orange OR50H with modified PPC212 and LPDC. only a couple of those tracks use modeling for the guitar tone.

most of those tracks use extensive real world setups. sorry to disappoint.

and yeah, their intro was boring. i felt like i was doing uninteresting stuff when i playing it. their solo was really stock too, so i changed that around quite a bit. and they don't use feedback, so i threw feedback tracks on it too.

ah ok true!

I am pretty sold on this Pod500...just a little worried about how metal stuff will sound on it...really dont like that plastic sound I often get on low end practice amp stuff