I'm investing in a cab (my first) and I've come to the conclusion that Avatar is the best for the price. My only concern is which model sounds better; the vintage or contemporary 4x12? Looking for a 4x12 to go with a Marshall DSL50 (playing mostly pop punk) and want to know the differences in the cabs before I make my final purchase. If both cabs had the same speakers in them, what what be the noticeable differences in the sound?

Also, on a side note, what would be good speakers to put in? Playing pop punk mostly BUT that doesn't mean I don't care about tone. I'd like some good speakers to compliment the head. My friend recommended greenbacks. Would these speakers sound good for what I'm playing (I'm not so familiar with speakers and what they sound like)?
i would say some greenbacks for more of that marshall cab sound or some vintage 30's for that american (mesa cab) sound.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
Quote by glamourkilledme
I'm investing in a cab (my first) and I've come to the conclusion that Avatar is the best for the price. My only concern is which model sounds better; the vintage or contemporary 4x12? Looking for a 4x12 to go with a Marshall DSL50 (playing mostly pop punk) and want to know the differences in the cabs before I make my final purchase. If both cabs had the same speakers in them, what what be the noticeable differences in the sound?

there is no 'better' sounding cab, it is all relative when it comes to tone choice. i am sure you know that, just wanted to put that in there to establish that.

assuming you are only considering closed back cabs, then your big sound difference will be internal air volume of the cab (cuz they use the same materials and connection techniques).

the contemporary has a larger internal air volume, this reacts with the speaker by giving it a lower resonance freq which effects many parameters of the speaker (like damping) but is usually known for it's effects on low end response.

huh? the contemporary cab will have more low end/bass, the vintage cab will have less.

it is really most ideal to tune the cabinet enclosure to the speaker's specs, but that rarely happens with guitar cabinets.

Quote by glamourkilledme
Also, on a side note, what would be good speakers to put in? Playing pop punk mostly BUT that doesn't mean I don't care about tone. I'd like some good speakers to compliment the head. My friend recommended greenbacks. Would these speakers sound good for what I'm playing (I'm not so familiar with speakers and what they sound like)?

i played a DSL 50 and the G12M-25's do sound good with it (it is what we choose after some experimentation). they can be a bit 'barky' and 'woody' for some people, they also don't have enough headroom for some people. but they put out a huge 'driven' tone and actually match with your marshall quite well.

other options: V30 is a very modern speaker with a huge mids spike that lets it get heard in the mix. the G12K-100 is a stiff and neutral sounding speaker that handles lows quite well, also handles aggressive metal very well. a half and half with these 2 speakers gives a great modern tone.

there are of course lots of other options but those are the speaker have most my experience with (and avatar offers).
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Aug 7, 2011,
the contemporary cab will sound bigger/have better bass response because its bigger in dimensions.

and unless you know you hate vintage 30s, i think theyre a good place to start for most modern styles of music