I am looking to buy my first electric guitar, and really love the versatility that a strat offers. But one of my favorite types of music is classic rock stuff like led zeppelin. How close would i be able to get to that jimmy page sound with a fender strat?
Strats are great first guitars especially if you play a wide range of music, if you play metal and want that heavy chug, youre going to want to replace the pickups. Unless you're going for the Iron Maiden tone.

I believe Jimmy Page used telecasters and gibsons more...but i could be wrong. You will get close to that Zepplin tone if you play around with your amp
Hss strat

Case closed?
Quote by Duv

Oh, and for resonance . . . smack an open A chord and hold the body and see if it vibrates like a middle-aged woman's best friend.
Strats are far more customizeable than les pauls, especially in pickup configurations. Just replace the pickups in the strat to HSS or HSH and you'll be set.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
The Strat body is suited to a huge range of styles. The electronics are a very different story. But the advantage of the Strat body is that you can just wire up different pickguards and slap them in. If you don't want to solder them up yourself you can even buy pre-wired pickguards from Duncan, DiMarzio, GFS, and even some of the boutique makers.
As versatile as your playing is, and as much as your amp will let you be.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
As versatile as your playing is, and as much as your amp will let you be.

this.

strats are super-versatile already, even SSS strats, but the added bonus is they are so easy to modify that you can do pretty much anything yuo want with them.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
None, none more versatile.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
as a first guitar, you may end up looking at epiphones and squiers,

As many people have said here, you might want to go for the LP to get the Zepplin sound (same reason I got mine!)

I can honestly say, that the build quality of epiphones, is far superior to squiers when I was trying out guitars at similar price ranges between the two, so I would suggest the Epiphone Les Paul Standard (about £300, or £350 with the "plus top" test them both out!)

the benefit of getting the Les Paul is that at a later date you can upgrade the pickups and the electrics to give you a switch which will "coil tap" the guitar, essentially giving it the same sound as a strat!

the most important thing having said all that however is that the guitar is comfortable to play. Pick a guitar based on what feels most comfortable in your hands!
Quote by SMTHSCN

the benefit of getting the Les Paul is that at a later date you can upgrade the pickups and the electrics to give you a switch which will "coil tap" the guitar, essentially giving it the same sound as a strat!

Coil taps are nothing like real single coils. Granted, they're a helluva improvement from humbuckers if you're going for a single-coil sound, but don't you ever say they're the same.

TS: Get an HSS strat and a decent amp. You could do most of whatever you please. But for the love of God, make sure you bring along someone who knows what they're doing to play it and verify that it isn't total garbage. QC on low-end guitars, particularly Squire and Epiphone, is just horrendous. If you can, have said player teach you some little riff (like Smoke on the Water) to test out whether you like the feel of the guitar.
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.
for stuff off of LZ 1 or if you want to play In The Evening a strat will be fine otherwise a Les Paul or a Danelectro (kashmir, white summer/black mountain side).

as already mentioned strats are very versatile however they don't do the LP thing very well (wrong wood and scale). not to say that you can't get a reasonably good sound for playing Zep out of them but you won't nail the Page tone with one in most cases.
Quote by jwd724

Coil taps are nothing like real single coils. Granted, they're a helluva improvement from humbuckers if you're going for a single-coil sound, but don't you ever say they're the same.

TS: Get an HSS strat and a decent amp. You could do most of whatever you please. But for the love of God, make sure you bring along someone who knows what they're doing to play it and verify that it isn't total garbage. QC on low-end guitars, particularly Squire and Epiphone, is just horrendous. If you can, have said player teach you some little riff (like Smoke on the Water) to test out whether you like the feel of the guitar.

That's why I said essentially, not exactly XD

an HSS strat is a great option, I reccomend the Yamaha Pacifica's for that, they are great affordable guitar