Hey guys, I would like some suggestions for some songs that sound good and impressive without any other instruments accompanying it.

It's for an audition and would most likely be a piece preferably less than 2 minutes and definitely not more than 3.

My skill level is intermediate(I think). To give a better idea of my level I can play some Dream Theater (Overture 1928, Spirit Carries On etc. where Petrucci shows restraint), most Metallica songs.

At this point am leaning towards doing maybe half or a snippet of Cliffs of Dover. What do you guys think?
Quote by Ereleon

At this point am leaning towards doing maybe half or a snippet of Cliffs of Dover. What do you guys think?

If you're comfortable playing it cleanly, then go for it. Check out Day at the Beach by Joe Satriani.
Remember you're better playing something less skillful flawlessly than having an average run at an advanced piece.
For starters, Eruption / Spanish Fly never fail those are oldies but goodies.

But something I think would work well, especially for an audition piece is something that shows you're capable of diversity on the guitar. I think if you did a 2 minute arrangement of Manhattan by Eric Johnson that would suit you well and wouldn't be overly difficult, though still impressive for the listener. If you did an arrangement w/ the main theme, solo, and some parts afterwards you will have covered chords, harmonics, octaves, and some lead soloing techniques (hell, even some slide guitar). Something to think about!

Also, "Country Maniac" by Dave Martone is a monster piece although I'm not sure if it's too difficult.

Hope this helps!
Quote by Ereleon
Hey guys, I would like some suggestions for some songs that sound good and impressive without any other instruments accompanying it.

It's for an audition and would most likely be a piece preferably less than 2 minutes and definitely not more than 3.

My skill level is intermediate(I think). To give a better idea of my level I can play some Dream Theater (Overture 1928, Spirit Carries On etc. where Petrucci shows restraint), most Metallica songs.

They don't want to be impressed at an audition, they want to know that you can play exactly what you need to for the situation. Don't go in trying to show off your chops, pick a sonmg that is as close as possible to what you will actually be auditioning for and play that as well as humanly possible.

More important than what you can do is who you are though. Don't be arrogant, don't be anything less than a really nice guy, turn up on time, don't screw about, get set up quickly, all that kind of jazz. Assuming this is for a band; what you can do is nowhere near as important as you getting along with the members who are already established. If you can't fit in to that and generally be cool then you might as well not even try because all the skill in the world won't make them take you.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.