I really enjoyed that. Your mix was really well done but maybe a tad boomy on the bass. Other than that, excelent work.
Throughout the whole thing I swear I'm hearing clipping or light distortion on the master, but it's really hard to pinpoint what's causing it, maybe soundcloud is playing a lower bitrate mp3 or something.

Guitars sound fine... but that pinch harmonic at 1:26 is uh... yeah. The leads are sitting very nicely.

Drums sound pretty good, I'd personally bring up the kick and snare a tad. The part at 2:42 with the hi-hat sounds incredibly fake, I'd definitely try to work that out a bit, maybe a more open hi-hat there. I also think the cymbals might be a bit too room/reverb heavy, it's very difficult to place them on the sound stage at some points and they're just very washy.

The bass does get a bit boomy, sounds to be around 100-150hz. I'd love to hear the grit track come up a bit too.

Solid first mix, cool song!
what you use to master and what you use for guitar tone? Mic'd cab or DI, if DI what progam did you use and did you use impulse cabs. Great mix tho! sounds awesome
USA Jackson RR1, Carvin Custom 7 String, Peavey 6505+, Krank Krankenstein Cabinet, Carvin Power Conditioner, Line 6 G 90 Wireless, BBE Sonic Maximizer, Full tone OCD Overdrive, ISP Decimator, Boss TU 2 Tuner
Mix is very good !

But indeed Odirun heard the clipping well, and I know the solution to that.

Apply a Multiband compression on the master. Enable limiter. Then lower a tad bit the mid or the high. I'm not sure which one it is.

If that won't do it, I suspect the toms are interfering with the guitar frequencies.

Ex : Look at 2:42
The symphonizer
Last edited by Sympho at Aug 8, 2011,
My first thought was that either the shells need to be raised in volume or the guitars brought down in volume. Also I think that the guitars could do with a little less distortion and maybe a small, surgical cut on the bass at around 175-350hz to get rid of some of the mud.

I also think you're pushing your 2bus compressor/limiter a little too hard and distorting the master a touch, as others have said.

@Sympho: Why for the love of god would you put a multiband compressor on the 2bus/master when you have full control of the mix? The last thing you want to be doing when mastering your own mixes is to alter the frequency balance, the mix should sound exactly the way you want it to sound before the master, and if it doesn't then address the problem in the mix not the master. It is always better to fix a problem at the source and since this seems to be completely ITB you can fix it easily.
That's a solid mix in my eyes. Sure there are some improvements to be made but I mainly want to commend you on the drum mix. I have the toughest time tinkering with my drums.
Twitter
Soundcloud

ESP LTD EC-500
Krank Krankenstein
Krank Krankenstein 4x12 Cabinet
Alesis M-EQ 230
Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer
Jim Dunlop Cry Baby GC95
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Quote by AdamG313
My first thought was that either the shells need to be raised in volume or the guitars brought down in volume. Also I think that the guitars could do with a little less distortion and maybe a small, surgical cut on the bass at around 175-350hz to get rid of some of the mud.

I also think you're pushing your 2bus compressor/limiter a little too hard and distorting the master a touch, as others have said.

@Sympho: Why for the love of god would you put a multiband compressor on the 2bus/master when you have full control of the mix? The last thing you want to be doing when mastering your own mixes is to alter the frequency balance, the mix should sound exactly the way you want it to sound before the master, and if it doesn't then address the problem in the mix not the master. It is always better to fix a problem at the source and since this seems to be completely ITB you can fix it easily.

Maybe the guy doesn't want to change anything in his mix
The symphonizer
Quote by Odirunn
Throughout the whole thing I swear I'm hearing clipping or light distortion on the master, but it's really hard to pinpoint what's causing it, maybe soundcloud is playing a lower bitrate mp3 or something.

Guitars sound fine... but that pinch harmonic at 1:26 is uh... yeah. The leads are sitting very nicely.

Drums sound pretty good, I'd personally bring up the kick and snare a tad. The part at 2:42 with the hi-hat sounds incredibly fake, I'd definitely try to work that out a bit, maybe a more open hi-hat there. I also think the cymbals might be a bit too room/reverb heavy, it's very difficult to place them on the sound stage at some points and they're just very washy.

The bass does get a bit boomy, sounds to be around 100-150hz. I'd love to hear the grit track come up a bit too.

Solid first mix, cool song!

Thanks very much man.

I thought I was hearing clipping for SURE, but showed a friend and he didn't hear it. Gotta learn to trust my ears a bit more I think!

The whole section at 1:26 is intentionally done like that haha.

I've been trying to figure out what to do with that hi-hat section as well. It's driving me up the wall. It's too freaking annoying... and thanks for the heads up on the cymbals. The washiness is coming from their volume in the mix I believe. I will adjust and hopefully clearing up some of the low end will help to adjust that.

Thanks again all for all the suggestions. This mix is coming along quite well I feel and am stoked to hear my own production and mixing abilities go up in quality.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.