Hey all, I've had a recent issue. any note on the higher register, sounds sort of rotary. like it's going in and out. lower notes don't have this issue. I have used different equipment and different amps, and all have the same result. i also tried using pinch and natural harmonics on the lower strings and that rotary sound comes through still. help?

Originally Posted by Redhotchipepper
what i thought peta was people eating tasty animals
Join the Jackson Owner's Club
Does your guitar have active pickups?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I used to have that problem on my Squier, once I got the neck fret leveled it went away, and my leads started to sound normal. It's also due to changing pressure in your fretting, I corrected that for the most part after the fret leveling, because it was still there to some degree, but now I can play leads without that problem...though I still suck at leads.

That's the only thing I can think of.
Quote by ethan_hanus
I used to have that problem on my Squier, once I got the neck fret leveled it went away, and my leads started to sound normal. It's also due to changing pressure in your fretting, I corrected that for the most part after the fret leveling, because it was still there to some degree, but now I can play leads without that problem...though I still suck at leads.

That's the only thing I can think of.

interesting theory. but i don't think it has to do with the frets bc it does that even with natural harmonics.

Quote by rockalance
interesting theory. but i don't think it has to do with the frets bc it does that even with natural harmonics.

Well, it worked for me. I know it wasent the pickups, cause I had just put in BKP's. So the only other factor was the neck. It's prolly the same with your guitar. It doesn't sound like it's possible, but it is if your frets are not level.
Has it been really humid in your place lately? Humidity tends to ruin string tone by "eating" at strings metal causing it to oxidize and cause micro-pitting. Same thing happened to all six of my guitars after a recent, really humid, heat wave.
Last edited by CynX at Aug 8, 2011,
Quote by CynX
Has it been really humid in your place lately? Humidity tends to ruin string tone by "eating" at strings metal causing it to oxidize and cause micro-pitting. Same thing happened to all six of my guitars after a recent, really humid, heat wave.

hmmm... i live in texas. and the guitar was recently in storage... but in a building that was climate controlled, however the room itself may not have been

Quote by ishredwithnubs
What about intonation? Or the action?

i think the natural harmonics debunks that. also, i can't check intonation with the notes ringing in and out. and the action is stock, no problems with it

Well can't say for sure, but I know once I change my strings it'll be fine. My uncle brought his over and played it through my set-up and no problems. Than again he has a an A/C house and dehumidified basment, the lucky SoB
It could be a number of things here. The warbling sound could be what you call 'beating'. Different things could be causing it. Sometimes if you set your pickup height way to high so that it sits too close to the string it can affect their resonance in weird ways and it only shows up in certain fretted positions so I would check the pickup height and maybe lower it. Also intonation issues can cause this. Especially if you play notes together as in chords. What you find is that when you play certain notes other intervals resonate better and more sympathetically with the root note. As you go up the fretboard and these fretted notes on the dodgy string get further away from what they should be and this starts to give you these horrible rotary, warbling or beating sounds. Listen to tesataments song 'electric crown'. That harmonic riff that alex skolnick does is beating. If what you have is a slowed down version of that I would check intonation and pick up height.

Good Luck
are they shaking all about?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
my pickup height hasn't changed and this problem just arose. it was fine before. for months. and now it is doing this

I'm gonna jump on the bad fretwork bandwagon here. I had a Warmoth Neck that did that until I pounded down a couple frets.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
haha nice sig
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?