Hi guys!

Well, today morning I changed strings on my Gibson Flying V. I had loosened all the strings a short period before taking them all off and putting on the new ones. The new strings are .010-.046s; I don't remember the thickness of the old ones.

Anyway, after I had finished putting them all on well, cutting off the unwanted extensions and tuning to standard E, I went to play the instrument and soon discovered that, whenever I play a group of notes (near/around the middle frets, frets 5-7) ONLY on the high e string, an unwanted "echo" or a "double note effect" can be heard. It sounds like a sitar, and this clouds all notes I will play later. As one person said on a different forum, "I'm getting a weird sitar sound echo on esp. the high e string and a little bit on the b string. The rest of the strings are great. I can play hard without buzz, but that e string is terrible". This case is the same as mine. I seem to have a little bit of an echo on the b string too.

I thought the problem might lie with the intonation, tuning, action or neck bend. I adjusted all of those, even the individual saddles, accordingly. By now I've carefully gone over adjusting the truss rod, action, tuning, intonation, etc etc, anything I can think of, multiple times. What could be causing that "echo"?

I have had this guitar for around year now, and it has never been setup professionally. I made the small adjustments (tuning, neck bend, etc) myself, although fret leveling, nut work, etc has never been done by a tech. However, during the whole year, I never encountered a single problem which might suggest that I needed a professional setup (so that fret, nut work, etc could be done).

I am going to bed now. Hopefully, I might be able to do/understand something tomorrow. One whole day without playin' guitar... imagine!!!

Take care.
Last edited by zuhairreza at Aug 8, 2011,
Take advantage of having the sitar sounding instrument, you now have have 2 instruments in one. I.... do not =(
Hi, you're better than me. Have a nice day!
How long have you had the new strings? I've had this problem more than once before, right after I put on new strings of a new gauge. In a week or two, the problem should fix itself. The guitar needs to settle "naturally" no matter how long you worked on the set up.
Could be a bunch of things, although it's tough to give a solid diagnosis without seeing the guitar in person.

It might even need a refret (worn frets are often the cause of that sitar sound).

Anyway, this is one of those occasions where it really is best to have a professional luthier look at it. Your local guitar store might have a repair department, or at least should be able to direct you to someone.

Good luck!

Steve
This is sometimes caused by strings being too low on the higher strings, fret buzz on the e & B is what its called. Try raising the strings a bit at a time until it goes. If not, what kind of pick are you using? Some particular picks cause small 'ghost notes' when they touch the strings, try other picks if you have any. If not, check the strings are aligned with the saddle/groove on the nut and the bridge, it may sound obvious but its common to tighten the strings when changing them and forget to check the bridge/nut. Make sure this is all tried on a clean channel, and good luck!
it may just be certain frequencies you're playing that will cause the string to ring. cause if you're playing the 5th fret of the b string, that's an E note. same is true if you were to play the 7th fret on the A string
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
This happens to me every time I change strings. I get a really twangy, sitar-ish sound that I absolutely despise for a couple days. It will go away once the strings have some time to settle into a natural tension. Just one more reason I always wait too damn long to change my strings .